collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11460
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Pot Belge Film
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:25 »
thanks to @festinagirl for the heads up

Kenneth Mercken

Bio

Kenneth Mercken was a national amateur cycling champion in 2000. On his way to becoming a professional cyclist, he discovered that his body was not responding to the usual performance-enhancing drugs. The only way to achieve his goal would have meant taking life-threatening risks. Disillusioned with the sport, he decided to quit cycling and on a whim, enrolled in a film school. Still, after two years he realized he was heartbroken over quitting, and when offered a one-year professional contract, he did not hesitate. The stress of having to prove himself in such a short period without the aid of illegal substances, took its toll and he became ill. Only when his old dream was definitively shattered, he was able to fully see and pursue his newly found passion in film.
In 2011 he graduated from the Brussels film academy RITS with The Letter. It won him the VAF Wildcard (production funds for a new project) and was screened in many international festivals. His first feature project Coureur was selected for the Binger Writers Lab 2012 and Torino Filmlab Script&Pitch 2013. Kenneth is also working as a freelance journalist.

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

esafosfina

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 323
    Re: Pot Belge Film
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:52 »
    Some of that clip looks all to familiar! Look forward to seeing the film in its finished form...
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

Arb

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 572
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:54 »
    Looks like Sagan  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 13:36 »
    wiki has this a definition of Pot Belge for those who want to know what it is  - The term is commonly used to describe a mixture of drugs, variously constituted from cocaine, heroin, caffeine, amphetamines, and other analgesics.

There are probably better ones but you get the idea
  • ReplyReply

• esafosfina

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 323
    « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 13:53 »
    One older rider (no names!) I used to race against added iv Vitamin C to his Pot, as he swore it was 'healthier'...  :S
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 14:45 »
    wiki has this a definition of Pot Belge for those who want to know what it is  - The term is commonly used to describe a mixture of drugs, variously constituted from cocaine, heroin, caffeine, amphetamines, and other analgesics.

There are probably better ones but you get the idea

That's fine, jsg! Though from what I read on the Cahors trial, considerable emphasis should be placed on the word "variously": pot belge was many things to many people and it wasn't the sort of stuff you wanted to spend too long using. It was very heavy stuff and it turned your life into a bit of blur.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 14:59 »
    That's fine, jsg! Though from what I read on the Cahors trial, considerable emphasis should be placed on the word "variously": pot belge was many things to many people and it wasn't the sort of stuff you wanted to spend too long using. It was very heavy stuff and it turned your life into a bit of blur.

Yeep read up on it a while ago, can't remember who it was cofidis rider I think, started using it one winter, smashed everyone at winter camp, called it his engine starter, it smashed him later on as his life unravelled.

Cycling equivalent of a speedball, does not lead to good places
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 15:05 »
    Yeep read up on it a while ago, can't remember who it was cofidis rider I think, started using it one winter, smashed everyone at winter camp, called it his engine starter, it smashed him later on as his life unravelled.

Cycling equivalent of a speedball, does not lead to good places

The Roux brothers certainly ended up rough. One of them got into the groove with that sh*t as his daily bread and he had eyes like peeholes in the snow when they busted him. Horrible.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 15:32 »
    On a slightly related note, finally got round to watching "the velo de ghislain lambert". Some great scenes when they are searching a rival riders hotel room for drugs, after discussing him being a client of "mabuse"
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 16:05 »
    On a slightly related note, finally got round to watching "the velo de ghislain lambert". Some great scenes when they are searching a rival riders hotel room for drugs, after discussing him being a client of "mabuse"

Thing I like about some of Poelvoorde's movies is that, despite the general foolishness, there's always some nuggets of truth in there!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 18:52 »
    Thing I like about some of Poelvoorde's movies is that, despite the general foolishness, there's always some nuggets of truth in there!  :D

Its very amusing..

The scene riding along where they discuss who is a client of "mabuse" and pot belge is hilarious, then the sneaking into the hotel room, looking to see what he has.. "Ephredine, whats that for", "oh that clears your airways", "and this... "

At some point I will hardcode the subtitles into it and chuck it somewhere, its not the easiest thing to get hold of.. But need my net sorted first.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 19:00 »
    Its very amusing..

At some point I will hardcode the subtitles into it and chuck it somewhere, its not the easiest thing to get hold of.. But need my net sorted first.

HIs most famous film outside of francophone Europe is probably C'est arrivé près de chez vous / Man Bites Dog (1992), which I have on DVD. I remember being kinda horrified by it at the cinéma. A sense of humour that's beyond black.

They were showing La Guerre Des Miss (2008) on TV when I was in Delhi, so I watched that. Rather tepid, but it had some good moments.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 05:34 »
    The short trailer has now been made into a film.

Called The Racer.  Came out on the 4th of November

Available on Google play and some other places

https://www.twitter.com/Lightbulb_Films/status/1191353148901863426
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by Mellow Velo
    [Today at 09:18]

Re: Roadbooks by Echoes
    [Today at 00:18]