collapse

Kiwirider

SRAM Red hydraulic discs - redefining ugly!!
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:59 »
OK, before I get slammed as just another SRAM hater - my MTB is X.0 with gripshift that has been on there for years, given faultless service, and I love it.  :-*

That said, their road stuff leaves me cold ...

And now for good measure, they propose this ridiculous looking set up for 2013 version of Red with hydraulic disc and rim brakes:  ???
http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/showphoto.php/photo/121386

Apparently SRAM have gone around most sites getting them to blur the images that were "inadvertently leaked" from a SRAM dealer release - on the grounds that they're saving them for official release later in the year. I actually think it's because the levers are so hideous that they're embarrassed for them to be seen in public!!!  :-\

What gets me is, they actually have a good cable operated set up with the Avid BBs. A mate has them on his cross bike, and I got to race on it one time (last minute mechanical on mine, and he loaned me his bike and road his single speed). Conditions were muddy and snowy, and the cable brakes were brilliant. Sure, not as good a modulation as the Hope Minis on my MTB, but perfect for the task at hand ...

So, why go over-engineering and hitting things with the ugly stick when there's a really good option out there already?? Have bike consumers become that shallow that we need sh*t like this to be brought out as the next "best thing since sliced bread" all of the time???
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    Re: SRAM Red hydraulic discs - redefining ugly!!
    « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:05 »

So, why go over-engineering and hitting things with the ugly stick when there's a really good option out there already?? Have bike consumers become that shallow that we need sh*t like this to be brought out as the next "best thing since sliced bread" all of the time???

Ding ding ding ding. we have a winner.
  • ReplyReply

• Antisrta

• Il Capo-Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    • Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 4
    • Follower of Ned Ludd
      • Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    Re: SRAM Red hydraulic discs - redefining ugly!!
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 13:49 »
    OK, before I get slammed as just another SRAM hater - my MTB is X.0 with gripshift that has been on there for years, given faultless service, and I love it.  :-*

That said, their road stuff leaves me cold ...

And now for good measure, they propose this ridiculous looking set up for 2013 version of Red with hydraulic disc and rim brakes:  ???
    http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/showphoto.php/photo/121386

Apparently SRAM have gone around most sites getting them to blur the images that were "inadvertently leaked" from a SRAM dealer release - on the grounds that they're saving them for official release later in the year. I actually think it's because the levers are so hideous that they're embarrassed for them to be seen in public!!!  :-\

What gets me is, they actually have a good cable operated set up with the Avid BBs. A mate has them on his cross bike, and I got to race on it one time (last minute mechanical on mine, and he loaned me his bike and road his single speed). Conditions were muddy and snowy, and the cable brakes were brilliant. Sure, not as good a modulation as the Hope Minis on my MTB, but perfect for the task at hand ...

Found on the interweb.

• ReplyReply
  • Qui si Parla Campagnolo

ultimobici

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 2
    Solution to a problem I never knew existed.  But then I have the benefit of using Campag brakes!
  • ReplyReply

• Antisrta

• Il Capo-Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    • Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 4
    • Follower of Ned Ludd
      • Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    Solution to a problem I never knew existed.  But then I have the benefit of using Campag brakes!

I use 622mm disc rotor and rubber like brake pads and mechanical caliper..stops really well.
  • ReplyReply

•