collapse

Dirk Hofman

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 9
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #690 on: December 09, 2013, 20:56 »
Thank you all, thankyouverymuch! :) Sorry for not responding, just haven't been back in a while. FUS87, do check the website and I'll see what kind of deal we can work out on a Winnebago... ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Wheelie1977

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 20
    • Peter Sagan is ainm dom
      • Wheelietips
    « Reply #691 on: January 03, 2014, 14:21 »
    Hi! I'm Wheelie, avid race analyst and small time punter. Looking forward to the season ahead. Was hoping to avoid all cycling until March but the excitement started building around Christmas and I'm hopelessly waiting for the season to kick off with dodgy streams of the Aussie champs. Aside from that, I'm laid up with a broken knee cap until February.
  • ReplyReply
  • I'm a doping agnostic. We're everywhere.
    Find me @wheelie1977 and check out my race previews at
    www.wheeliebets.com

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 920
    « Reply #692 on: January 03, 2014, 14:26 »
    Hi! I'm Wheelie, avid race analyst and small time punter. Looking forward to the season ahead. Was hoping to avoid all cycling until March but the excitement started building around Christmas and I'm hopelessly waiting for the season to kick off with dodgy streams of the Aussie champs. Aside from that, I'm laid up with a broken knee cap until February.

:welcome to velorooms,

give the CQ games a whirl (maybe your here from a tweet mentioning them?)

• ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

froome19

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 2049
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #693 on: January 03, 2014, 14:28 »
    :welcome Wheelie

Sorry to hear about the knee, but there is plenty going on here to keep you occupied ;) . And I think we are all in the same position here, waiting for the season to come round, bored by the endless off season and raring to go, though I do advise the Cq games if you want to pass the time.

And if you fancy any bets, our betting thread may come in useful once the season is underway: http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=3237.0
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Wheelie1977

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 20
    • Peter Sagan is ainm dom
      • Wheelietips
    « Reply #694 on: January 03, 2014, 14:33 »
    thanks lads. Yes, I saw the CQ games so will have a bit more of a look and I didn't see the betting thread so i'll have to give my tuppence worth there then.
  • ReplyReply

• oliveira

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 78
    « Reply #695 on: February 07, 2014, 03:27 »
    Hi all!

Newbie here!  :hi My passion for cycling started as a child in the early 90's, watching my local race, Volta a Portugal, cheering for the cookie-sponsored spanish team Artiach. The first international race I remember watching is Giro, and the first I followed was Bjarne Riis's 1996 Tour victory. Only later, with internet access and cable TV, I started following the Classics.

Always loved riding my bicycle. I usually do MTB while I'm in the city where I live, Lisbon, but my utter fondness is to ride my road bike in central/northern country, far away from cars. Love to climb.

Also, I use to write something about cycling for a sports generalist blog, usually around big races: Monuments, WC, and Gt's.

Very glad I found this space, you've got a very cozy cycling virtual corner in here. Congrats!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • World Champion
    • Liked: 4616
    • Awards: 2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #696 on: February 07, 2014, 08:28 »
    Hello oliveira :wave
    :welcome :hi
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

skip hopkins

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #697 on: February 13, 2014, 03:24 »
    Hello, I'm here to get info to crush everyone in the fantasy cycling leagues. And by crush I mean get last place...again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • World Champion
    • Liked: 4616
    • Awards: 2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #698 on: February 13, 2014, 06:43 »
    :hi :welcome skip :wave
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7830
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #699 on: February 13, 2014, 06:59 »
    :welcome to Velorooms, Mr. Hopkins.

Any relation to this guy? ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Liked: 2624
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #700 on: April 06, 2014, 14:14 »

The Reverend hard at work on the chaos thread  :angel
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #701 on: April 06, 2014, 16:49 »

The Reverend hard at work on the chaos thread  :angel

Somebody lost weight recently.  :s
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Liked: 2624
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #702 on: April 06, 2014, 17:12 »
    Somebody lost weight recently.  :s

down to 265lbs/120kg. down another 15lbs/7kg would be nice. 225lbs/100kg is rock bottom doctors said any lower would be detrimental to me health. I really got to get back in the water and exercise   :lol
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 377
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #703 on: April 08, 2014, 06:39 »
    WHats always fascinated me is the Sinclair>Atari>Sega>Sony route was a very common route, almost everyone I know who started on Sinclairs went the Sega and then Playstation route with some Atari in between.

Almost everyone I know who started on the Commodores, Vic20 and C64, went to Amiga, then went the Nintendo, and finally X-Box
    :shh I have to say that I jumped ship then! :D I went

Atari 2600>Sega Master System>Super Nintendo>Xbox>Xbox 360

Not sure if I'll upgrade the 360 though - the only time I use the consoles anymore is when Mrs 42x16ss is away  :angel
  • ReplyReply

• FatBoy

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 54
    « Reply #704 on: April 08, 2014, 13:31 »
    How random i have never been a real fan on consoles but through some random choices and with no real knowledge or decision making i did do the C64 - nintendo - x-box route
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #705 on: April 08, 2014, 13:57 »
    :shh I have to say that I jumped ship then! :D I went

Atari 2600>Sega Master System>Super Nintendo>Xbox>Xbox 360

Not sure if I'll upgrade the 360 though - the only time I use the consoles anymore is when Mrs 42x16ss is away  :angel

You went Sega to Nintento. :o

Traitor
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1637
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #706 on: July 19, 2014, 17:08 »
    Well if you really want to go back in time, first computer i had access to
     . . .
    And we had internet
     . . .
    (stepdad worked in the computer department at the British library, We had computers very early. I was the first kid i know to own his own computer. Even more incredibly I bought it myself - I was working at 9 years old)

Wow - a dinosaur! The first computer I had access to I did not own - it was a mainframe, with time-sharing, and teletype terminals - no video. I would play 3-D tic-tac-toe with little grids of X's. Pong came out a couple of years later. But, for the most part, I did not muck about with them again for another 20 years.

But I wanted to say something about who I am. So, for those who want to know, will know who they are "talking" to in the threads.

Got into "jogging" in the early 70's - influenced by an Olympic-level CX skier who I worked construction with. In 74, whilst riding a motorcycle, I was hit by a car. One leg was a bit inside out as a result. A year later, it was 99% functional, but a couple inches shorter. Jogging and walking became bad news. I'd had cycles for years, but this accelerated my involvement. Eventually got into long-distance touring a little. Spent time hanging out at a couple of LBS.

About 1978 or 9 I was talking with a friend, who also owned an LBS. He was carrying Skid-Lid helmets. I read their product blurb, and was simply appalled - it was utter and complete BS. It was completely out of sorts with any physics or science that I knew of - but it was persuasive. It turned out that my friend was "persuaded" by their fallacious reasoning. Of course, at this distant remove, I do not remember the conversation accurately, but the end result was the he told me he would be more inclined to believe me if I got my objections into print. Kind of a dare, and a "put up, or shut up". I took him up on that dare, although it took me a couple of years to make it happen. But make it happen I did. In 1981, Bicycling Magazine published the article I wrote on the topic. I wish I could say it was definitive, but it wasn't. But, it was one of a very few articles on the topic in those years.

I originally conceived the article as a side issue - to sell photographs. Two birds - one stone, you see. I had a regular job, but was trying my hand at pro photography at the time. Cycling was a love. I sold race coverage, as a stringer, to Velonews a few times. Complete with photographs. I sold some truly excellent mid-race portraits of several 7-11 riders, taken on a corner of a crit in Las Vegas, to Southland - the owners of 7-11.

But work moved on, and so did I. Photography did not stick as an interest, cycling did. My friends at those local LBS's were all into racing. Some of that race coverage I sold was while I was traveling with one or another of the local teams. Eventually, I got into racing. Initially, I was just under the age for masters category. The competition was too stiff there, so I did little with that. In the mid-80's, I reached masters category age - and started getting more involved. I finished 2nd a few times, or not in the placings at all. Continued racing, though. PB are probably a 10mi TT @ approx 25 min. Might have been 24 and change, or 25 and change, I forget. Gently rolling course. And, the '88 or '89 Attack on Mt. Mitchell. I finished 72nd that year. Just over 5 hours. 72nd might not sound that great, but I beat a couple of local masters cat rivals - and about 1200 other riders. 1700 started the ride that year. At that point, I was one of the top five local masters cat racers.

And, I had a lot of fun. Then life and work went through changes, and my ability to be involved in cycling got a severe crimp. I've been mostly out-of-shape since, but always trying to get back. Got overweight, got most of it off - life got in the way. More overweight, still trying to lose it again.

Somewhere in the middle of all that - returned to university 20 years after I started, to finally get my diploma. Marriage, child, work, all that.

Indurain came and went. Lance came, and went. Which pretty much brings us up to today.

A friend of mine once told me, when I described my then proposed latest idea: "You shouldn't be able to do that. But you've done other things you shouldn't be able to do."

So you see, I remember Steve Prefontaine - as a living and competing person. I saw a newspaper report on Lemond - as a junior. And a lot in between then and now. Boyer, Roll, Eric Heiden, Steida, Wayne and Dale Stetina, Andy Hampsten, The Red Zinger Classic - they weren't history, they were what I lived.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3254
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #707 on: August 26, 2014, 09:52 »
    I'm not introducing myself, obviously, but this seemed the most appropriate place for this particular missive.

I normally miss those milestones of tweets or posts, the big round numbers, which can be (and often are) viewed as a terrifying indicator of how I spend my time. But this is my 1500th post on VR, and I felt it deserved a mention.

I only joined up - a little of 2 years ago (there's another milestone I missed) - because the network where I worked at the time blocked access to the CN forum, and I was desperate to find a source of rumours for where Cav would end up after an unhappy season with Sky.

Fast forward to the present day, and I have 1499 posts - some, themselves sharing of transfer news and rumour. Others, race previews, vast CSV tables, or generally slightly sarcastic commentary. Add to that the countless posts in shoutboxes, and VR has become something of a feature in my life. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here's to the next 1500 instances of ramble, waffle and footnote[1].

:party
     1. Which would, by the way, make a great name for a firm of solicitors...
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4159
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #708 on: August 27, 2014, 11:54 »
    :fanfare cj

awesome
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1894
    « Reply #709 on: August 27, 2014, 12:01 »
    Introducing myself. Howdy everyone!

Howdy friend, begging your pardon (Creedence forever!) :)

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

madsx

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 2
    « Reply #710 on: September 30, 2014, 00:23 »
    Hi,

From Denmark and totally into bikes. So much into bikes that I have never taken a driver's license :)

// Mads
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1057
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #711 on: September 30, 2014, 00:45 »
    Hi,

From Denmark and totally into bikes. So much into bikes that I have never taken a driver's license :)

// Mads

Welcome to the forum Mads. I dont have a drivers license either, thats because A) Didnt bother, B) I can get everywhere with the bike itself, long live the Netherlands ;).

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #712 on: September 30, 2014, 14:59 »
    Hej Mads! :welcome
  • ReplyReply

• vroomi

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 4
    • It's a me.
    Introduce yourself
    « Reply #713 on: October 24, 2014, 09:04 »
    Hi. I'm Vroomi, formerly known as Roomi aka roomidoomi, just a nickname given by friends that stuck.

I hail from Long Beach, Ca, but currently reside in Taiwan as an English teacher.

I seem to be on a string of bad luck these days. I messed up cartilage in my ankle during college, causing my goals/ dreams of running to shift to cycling, and one this past week was in a car accident which I'm going to get my ankle checked on. Basically at this point any hope or dream of pro cycling is quickly fading, but I have hope.

I've owned an old chromoly trek frame handed down from my dad, a 1997 Litespeed classic, and currently on a 2012 or 2013 giant TCR 01. I ride when I can but I'm more interested in chatting about the subject with like minded people. :)

nice to meet you all!

And I see video games have been mentioned...
    Super Nintendo->playstation->Xbox->ps3
    Nowadays I Derp around on computer or  play cod with my girlfriend and put down some bots :3

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9031
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #714 on: October 24, 2014, 09:22 »
    ...and nice to meet you too vroomi. :welcome
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #715 on: October 24, 2014, 14:35 »
    Welcome to Velorooms! :welcome :wave
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1838
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #716 on: November 07, 2014, 10:55 »
    Hi, I'm Joel.

Love watching racing and do a bit of cycling myself, mainly commuting and riding with the kids.

When I'm not watching cycling I run a headphone business called Music To Your Ears.

That's it really...looking forward to getting in amongst the CQ Ranking game this year, also play road.cc and some of the others.

Joel
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #717 on: November 07, 2014, 11:15 »
    Hi Joel! :welcome
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1838
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #718 on: November 07, 2014, 11:18 »
    Hi FUS87