collapse

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 904
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #660 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50 »
Dear Gotland,
I still have some financial issues as you know so if you can buy from me worn Look CX6 pedals without cleats just for 790 euros. Will post pics if asked, if not PM me and will give you my Pay Pal account number for money. If not I can always wait you at border.

P.S. Also I am selling worn 8 spd chain for just over 579 euros, and fat cat for 1900 euros.
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #661 on: September 21, 2013, 13:47 »
    Hello! I am Zam ze man. I am a male undies model.
  • ReplyReply

• Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 86
    « Reply #662 on: October 01, 2013, 16:51 »
    Hello Everyone!

I kind of introduced myself a little bit on the Frome thread, but then realised that it was not the right thing to do there and also realised my post was a bit off topic so a double boo boo really, however at least it popped my VR cherry, and we all know that this process always includes some fumbling.

Well, I have to start by saying that I am kind of overwhelmed at the quality of this forum, from various different angles, it beats everything I have ever seen hands down. Some of the writing is just off the scale when it comes to internet forums, and I have to say that The Hitch is no misnomer and furthermore has me belly laughing like only the original could! If he hadn't sadly but stoically left this mortal coil then I would attribute the writing to the man himself. I was literally crying with laughter at one of his posts and just the thought of it now has my solar plexus tightening.

I simply am astonished at the knowledge on here, the generosity with which it is doled out, and the absolute lack of "flaming"...If I didn't know better I would say that this is too good to be true and cast doubt on its credibility  :D However, aside from perhaps some Modafinil/Coffee/Booze, I suspect that this forum is clean as a whistle.

I am a geophysicist who works worldwide so cannot always follow things on TV, and often miss things online, so please excuse my ignorance at times, I am at present in Mauritania, I would not recommend it as a holiday destination whatsoever, indeed I have seen some of the biggest sh1tholes on the planet, however Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner; Nouakchott. Oh there is a heavy slathering of "islamic republic" also, so no beer. Fair play for making one of the driest countries on the planet even drier, but it doesn't help in taking the edge off the abject squalor that surrounds. When a capital city of a country doesn't have one single international chain hotel, then you know you are in trouble. I think as a general rule of thumb, this is hard to argue with.

I have cycled ever since I was a little boy, I was born in Norway but am British, went to boarding school in the UK, one of the big fancy ones, but please don't hold that against me, I did manage to get expelled, only to my utter horror to be accepted at another of one the UK's torture institutions for boys where they continued the "character building"... I was asked to leave there too.

This lead to some very lonely school holidays where I would do nothing but rde my "Puch" road bike round the Fjords for days on end. If I could find that frame again I would pay a lot of money for it. Thinking back, I am astonished at how many kilometers I would actually do alone over a summer, I simply didn't ever seem to get tired, I would deliberately go as far as I could in the full knowledge that I had to get back, well no I would deliberately go further than I should in the full knowledge that I had to get back. For me it was a bit like swimming across a bay, what are you going to do when you are at the half way point? There is a choice, but it amounts to the same.

I have really never had any friends who shared my love of road cycling, I would have been a lot cooler with a BMX, but I didn't want a BMX, I wanted to be out there, by myself, I didn't want to do tricks, I wanted to go places. I have never really had anyone in my life that shares my love of road cycling, so forums have been important to me, and working worldwide, it is difficult to join clubs and the like, although I must try harder and not use it as an excuse. I used to post a lot on the Cycling Weekly Forum, it was fun, but then I think it became "Bike Radar" or something, and I didn't like it. Since then I have kind of stayed away from internet forums a bit as the amount of trolling was simply off the scale.

It was only Twitter that pointed me here just a few days ago. I am still reading my way through a lot of threads and you will probably find me lurking on "the Darkside" more than anything else.

I knew I was going to type that sentence, so thought I had better put some thought into why it is the case. I am not really sure I know the answer in full. I am simply intrigued by all things doping, especially the what, the why and the how.

I have always had a strong streak of "justice" running through me, which hasn't always served me well, nevertheless I think that this notion draws me to these topics also. I can't quite explain it, and it is not that I want to take our sport to pieces, far from it, I just am intrigued at the lengths, or shorts that people go to.

I used to be a very very fit and fully coached cyclist, working worldwide afforded me similar, if not more amounts of time off than I had at school, so for a long time I would spend those days like a pro would, riding. I did live like a monk, had an SRM from the very early days and literally lived it. Note that I have hardly ever raced, mainly because I am not in the UK all the time.

Then I started getting stupid about my diet, weighing food etc etc...then it got worse with me starting to chew food then spit it out...not eating unless I had burned the calories first...stupid stuff that was only going to make me go backwards...which it did eventually do ending up with me at 6ft and 58 kilos lying by the side of the road with a paramedic over me. The ultimate bonk. That woke me up a bit.

So I have calmed down a lot since then, however I read a post by an admin about cycling and Mental Health and what was written could have been penned by me, word for word. My brain ticks over faster that CF's cadence on Ventoux, and it will literally "petaflop" into every possible permutation of any particular scenario usually ending up firmly deciding that the worst possible outcome is going to come to be, thus causing huge anxiety. Sometimes debilitating anxiety. The only thing that I can do to stop this is to ride my bike. Indeed, enough Valium to fell an elephant will not stop it, only cycling will, not running, not lifting weights, not going for a walk, I need to be on my bike.

I like "The Bicycle" so much that I have an entire room full of them, all on stands and kept immaculate, but it doesn't satisfy my thirst for more. I like new kit and sexy little additions and accessories. I like analysing my rides after I have showered following hours in the saddle. I think Wahoo have taken a good chunk off me lately! It has been fun...

I do seem to spend a lot of money on it, and people are surprised when I tell them how much my wheels cost or something, usually churning out the old quip of "does it not come with an engine for that price" ... so as you can see, I do not have many people around me who get it, in fact nobody.

This will explain why my posts are sometimes informed and sometimes ridiculously uninformed...especially regarding maintenance, which I am terrible at and have gotten into the awful habit of simply paying someone else to do it, which I think is hideous form but at least I know they won't break anything. I think I might go on a course to learn properly how to totally take my bikes apart and put them back together again, although anything DIY seems to be left half finished when I am involved, so I had better be committed unless I could end up with my face painted onto the road, and not in the "Grand Tour" way.

So in my world, cycling is MY thing, nobody to really share it with, aside from you fine lot now, so apologies in advance  :D

I am really very opinionated, and do come across that way, however what most don't realise is that I am often just waiting for someone to change my opinion, and they often can with reasoned discussion. I like having my opinion changed, it assures me that I am alive and still learning.

I am certainly not as knowledgeable as most on here, I know that, so will never pretend to be, and after my recent reading I know that on some topics I am going to make some seriously embarrassing errors, please be gentle  :D

I don't hide behind anything, Vespertine is simply what I use as a user name for online stuff, I will link my Twitter account, which is in my real name, so there you have it... I am me, online or offline... it is me  :D

I don't believe in flying teapots and am a little bit intolerant of people that do, or at least the ones that want to shove them down my throat, I have a tattoo of the Flying Spaghetti Monster on my arm. I had it done in Jerusalem; I thought it fitting and the tattooist thought it hilarious and not what was normally asked for. It is done in the style of a Rorschach Inkblot. Which I think is even more fitting.

I like free thinking and am very active on ZNET and the like, I think that society has other options and that they are there and one day we will eventually start to take them, or so I hope at least.

I like community, and being part of one, I have had a couple of "welcomes" already, and think that this is a great place for me.

I really do not take myself very seriously and sometimes might come across as flippant, this is usually me amusing myself without realising that I might be annoying someone else, I am never rude though, at least I hope not.

Well, thanks for being bored by what I have chosen to throw down as an introduction, it is probably as unhinged as I actually am, then again what you see is what you get, I never pretend to be anything that I am not.

I think that the forum is the very best I have ever seen from a technical, functionality and design perspective and salute the people who maintain it. I personally don't think it should be all done for free or at anyone else's expense, so I would always urge people who use it to donate something, I did after 24 hours, I just think that it is the right thing to do, I got 24 hours of pure enjoyment out of it, and to me even that was worth something....and I know already that whatever my post count might be, I will be learning a lot and very probably be asking some specific questions about how things work.

I hope everyone is having a stress free life at the moment, or at least one that is as stress free as possible...

I really can't say thank you enough for some of the threads that I have read on here already. I would have bought them for my Kindle if they were packaged that way, just brilliant.

See you around!

Thanks,

Vespertine

• ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3254
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #663 on: October 01, 2013, 17:07 »
    That is, quite simply, one of the greatest self-introductions I've seen!

Vespertine - you're gonna fit in great 'round here  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7830
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #664 on: October 01, 2013, 17:11 »
    I was born in Norway
    Heja!

went to boarding school in the UK, one of the big fancy ones, but please don't hold that against me, I did manage to get expelled, only to my utter horror to be accepted at another of one the UK's torture institutions for boys where they continued the "character building"... I was asked to leave there too.
    Well done, sir. ;)

This lead to some very lonely school holidays where I would do nothing but rde my "Puch" road bike round the Fjords for days on end. If I could find that frame again I would pay a lot of money for it.
    I had a Puch too as a kid. Lovely light green thing. :)

All in all, what cj just said. Welcome to VR, I'm sure you'll have a blast. :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • World Champion
    • Liked: 4616
    • Awards: 2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #665 on: October 01, 2013, 17:14 »
    Hello! :welcome
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #666 on: October 01, 2013, 18:21 »
    Heja!
    Well done, sir. ;)

All in all, what cj just said. Welcome to VR, I'm sure you'll have a blast. :cool

Thank You! Now that got me on a Google Image search, I HAD to try and find it, and find it I did.... Although this is billed as a 1987 model, and mine must have been earlier than that, this was certainly the frame and the paint job...now to go on a hunt to try and find one for sale  :D

• ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #667 on: October 01, 2013, 18:36 »
    What a truly stunning introduction, even Francois the Postman, our resident bard could not have surpassed that.  Good to have you around. A fair few of us are on twitter, theres links *somewhere* if you hunt us down.

And thank you for supporting the site. We have a lot to live up to.
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Liked: 2624
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #668 on: October 01, 2013, 19:00 »
    If Vespertine and Francois the Postman were to post in the same thread how pages would it be?  :?
    :rasmussen
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #669 on: October 01, 2013, 19:03 »
    If Vespertine and Francois the Postman were to post in the same thread how pages would it be?  :?
    :rasmussen

War and Peace?
    Gone with the Wind?
    The Odyssey and the Aeneid?

Can't say I'd mind.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #670 on: October 01, 2013, 19:14 »
    Come to think of it, I didn't. :fp
    I had a Puky, somewhat akin to this picture. :lol
    Not quite the same, though still a bike. I guess.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #671 on: October 01, 2013, 19:18 »
    War and Peace?
    Gone with the Wind?
    The Odyssey and the Aeneid?

Can't say I'd mind.

and an intro by Slow Rider

I could not promise to read every word though
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 700
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #672 on: October 01, 2013, 19:28 »
    welcome Vespertine!

:Flower: :Clown:

:are you for real:
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 987
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #673 on: October 01, 2013, 19:31 »
    Hello Everyone!

I simply am astonished at the knowledge on here, the generosity with which it is doled out, and the absolute lack of "flaming"...If I didn't know better I would say that this is too good to be true and cast doubt on its credibility  :D However, aside from perhaps some Modafinil/Coffee/Booze, I suspect that this forum is clean as a whistle.
    See you around!

Thanks,

Vespertine
    We mustn't have met.

Welcome aboard.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #674 on: October 01, 2013, 21:07 »
    No puch for me..

I had

and then (actually I had three of these)

and then one of these

and then something a little like this, but green

but then, i also had one of these

Followed by

And then

Followed by (the black one which i still own, i also had a grey one)

A.. (Briefly)

Then a

a

an

and finally a

followed by a

Plus a 386, an early P66 Pentium, a 486, a full pentium, dell laptop, amd 2600 based system, toshiba laptop.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #675 on: October 01, 2013, 21:11 »
    WHats always fascinated me is the Sinclair>Atari>Sega>Sony route was a very common route, almost everyone I know who started on Sinclairs went the Sega and then Playstation route with some Atari in between.

Almost everyone I know who started on the Commodores, Vic20 and C64, went to Amiga, then went the Nintendo, and finally X-Box
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #676 on: October 01, 2013, 21:33 »
    Commodore Pet <School>
    Prime <Uni>
    DEC VAX <1st job> with a bit of Apollo
    Various UNIX boxes <2nd job> and few legacy VAX apps
    Mix of Windows, UNIX since <mainly self-employed>
    with a little symbian, iOS, android experimentation thrown in recently
  • ReplyReply

• Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #677 on: October 01, 2013, 21:49 »
    I had the honour of running some jobs on the Tianhe 1A not so long ago, and I started on the Sinclair and went the Playstation route...with the Atari in between.

I must say it was pretty cool to sit at a terminal with a blinking cursor knowing exactly what was in the glasshouse making it blink.

It processed data sets as you might expect it to; very very quickly.

Sadly for the Chinese though, even all of that processing power couldn't come up with any hydrocarbons at all.  :shh

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #678 on: October 01, 2013, 22:02 »
    I had the exotic Speccy +3 with access to a +2 and a BBC Micro, then an Apricot XT (iirc), then a custom build with Windows 3.1, then I was computing with the bigs, as JSG would say.

As for cycling, since the last couple of weeks, I now have the pics to show this story.

Here's me at about 10 years old on a Muddy Fox MTB (Suntour groupset):

Fast forward a couple of years and here I am outside the family home with my Paul Milnes 531 and 105 gruppo:

... I had a big, white, square-shaped body at that time, as you can see.

I have very few (of my own) pics of my Ribble 653 Record Veloce, which was the last bike I had as a kid, but this was the machine on which I had most of my successes:

I bloody loved those Look shoes I'm wearing. That started my lifelong love affair with everything Look. Sadly, Look no longer makes shoes, but if it did, they would still be the coolest sh*t you could buy.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14231
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #679 on: October 01, 2013, 22:05 »
    you guys are old
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #680 on: October 01, 2013, 22:10 »
    you guys are old

You're only as old as the man/woman you feel.

Think about it. ;)  :evil:P  :s
  • ReplyReply

• Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #681 on: October 01, 2013, 22:20 »

The first computer I remember having is a BBC Micro

Do you remember those books of code you could buy to write your own games. It would take days and days to type it in and then when one tried to execute it, it would invariably have a syntax error and it would take days and days to find it!

My Mrs is 15 years younger than me. For exactly that reason. Ummmm...not the code thing...but the feel thing...yeah....
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #682 on: October 01, 2013, 23:07 »
    The first computer I remember having is a BBC Micro
    When I read this, I can't help thinking:
    "Why on earth did the BBC manufacture computers?" :?

:D
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2516
    « Reply #683 on: October 01, 2013, 23:10 »
    you guys are old

I was thinking the same thing..

Anyway, welcome to Vespertine & Murrjt! And do come play outside of the darkside as well, life is much brighter there ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #684 on: October 02, 2013, 00:43 »
    Well if you really want to go back in time, first computer i had access to

And we had internet

(stepdad worked in the computer department at the British library, We had computers very early. I was the first kid i know to own his own computer. Even more incredibly I bought it myself - I was working at 9 years old)
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 987
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #685 on: October 02, 2013, 02:03 »
    You're only as old as the man/woman you feel.

Think about it. ;)  :evil:P  :s
    No wonder paedophiles never age.
  • ReplyReply

• Dirk Hofman

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 9
    « Reply #686 on: October 08, 2013, 01:00 »
    Introducing myself. Howdy everyone!
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4160
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #687 on: October 08, 2013, 01:46 »
    welcome Dirk

:wave
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #688 on: October 08, 2013, 07:50 »
    Introducing myself. Howdy everyone!
    Hello Dirk. How's the motorhome? ;)

Hi, I'm Ed Winchester
    And a welcome to you, too.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms