collapse

Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
  • Liked: 51
What bike computer do you use?
« on: February 26, 2012, 21:22 »
Just got myself an Edge 800, it's freaking epic :D

now I used to have a Sigma 1609 and a simple PRO computer.

What does the rest of the forum use?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Craig1985

Quixote

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    Re: What bike computer do you use?
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 00:49 »
    Garmin 305 edge. It's good model but mine is showing a temperamental side after many miles in all conditions. When it goes, I'll replace it with the 500.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03 »
    Garmin 305 edge. It's good model but mine is showing a temperamental side after many miles in all conditions. When it goes, I'll replace it with the 500.

I have a 500, i thought about the 800 which a friend had and decided i did not need the maps part and was only getting it for the extra 'toy' points

I love my 500, records everything, easy to upload onto garmin connect site, endomondo or Strava.

can easily keep track of laps, heart rate, cadence, climbing, etc loads of data points

only thing i have not got the hang off was the courses functionality.
    Allows you to record a ride as a 'course' then you can pull up that course on another ride and compete against your time (just like that great Garmin winter training advert with Christophe Le Mevel) When i tried it i think a combination of dodgy GPS single in the city centre and a looped training ride that came back on itself mean it got confused.

Need to try again, but starting course further from the start of the ride to see if i can make it work.

• ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 163
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 02:43 »
    The Edge 500 is excellent.
    I swap mine between all bikes and get a central record of all my riding.

Havent used the course function a huge amount but when I have, its been great.  Often on a big ride you dont need turn by turn navigation but it is still nice to have the general direction to be riding available for reference.  I just moved house and the course function has been a great help in working out the best new commute route.  Also, I have set up some testing loops where I do race against myself to assess my training (or lack of).
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

TexPat

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 18
    « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:17 »
    Bryton 30...when it works properly, it's brilliant.
  • ReplyReply
  • Freelance hand model. Enquiries welcome.

steelciocc

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:47 »
    Vetta V100HR - Wireless speed, cadence and HR.  ~$50
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:02 »
    Sigma 906 wire operated simple, cheap (20 euro) and durable, really great simple computer, new one I bought is Velomann V 1.16C (45 euro) wireless with cadence sensor, found it very hard to synchronize and very often signal loss I see. I think it just need to be really, really well adjusted.
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

badger60.1

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:35 »
    Garmin edge 705
  • ReplyReply

• Quixote

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:10 »
    I have a 500, i thought about the 800 which a friend had and decided i did not need the maps part and was only getting it for the extra 'toy' points
    It's good to read your and Martin's review of the 500. In all actuality, I'm quite sure that it does more than I need...but to drop down to the 200 wouldn't work (no HM). It's a good company.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 08:40 »
    It's good to read your and Martin's review of the 500. In all actuality, I'm quite sure that it does more than I need...but to drop down to the 200 wouldn't work (no HM). It's a good company.

Yeah would definitely recommend it to anyone.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:44 »
    Yeah would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Dave how much are they in OZ ? as in Cost
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53 »
    Dave how much are they in OZ ? as in Cost

from memory i paid around the 379 mark. that included the heart rate band and cadence meter.

think i got it form first endurance online as bit more pricey in shops. Just looking online now can see it is only $320 on wiggle
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 12:19 »
    Edge 605.

My only regret.. that I didnt stump up the extra $$$ and get the 705
  • ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 21:55 »
    Edge 605.

My only regret.. that I didnt stump up the extra $$$ and get the 705

What's the difference with the 705? looks pretty much the same :p
  • ReplyReply

• nobilis

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 92
      • En Chasse Patate
    « Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 11:17 »
    I used to have a polar CS600 but fell out during a race and noticed that when it was too late.  :(
    To replace it, I got myself a Garmin Edge 800 last year.
    I love it and love all the features in it. I like the fact that i can transfer the data through USB and not infrared and I like also the recheargeable batteries.
    Compared to the polar, it's a bit big, I wanted to replace my stem with a smaller one, it wasn't possible because of its size. And also compared to Polar, I prefer the polar interface better than the Garmin, especially when it comes to graphs.
  • ReplyReply
  • Me and my teammate's (the new Lebanese National Champion) cycling blog
    http://enchassepatate.blogspot.com/     
    @chasse_patate    @nobilis_tobilis

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6803
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 09:26 »
    Just got myself an Edge 800, it's freaking epic :D

now I used to have a Sigma 1609 and a simple PRO computer.

What does the rest of the forum use?

Thinking about getting an Edge 800 myself, but more for the navigation aspect than the fitness stuff. What's it like for giving directions when you're actually out on the road?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 11:35 »
    Fair point on the Polar comparison.  I went to Garmin after more than a decade on Polar (XTrainer with full bike kit and download, etc - for instance) precisely becaose Polar is a closed shop like Apple.  Meanwhile, Garmin can interface with any power unit such as Powertap or Quarq.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 19:10 »
    What's the difference with the 705? looks pretty much the same :p

705 has cadence and heart rate sensor. same machine, just the extra sensors.
  • ReplyReply

• nobilis

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 92
      • En Chasse Patate
    « Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 16:03 »
    I'm so peeed off. I turned on my Garmin Edge 800 and it won't load past the "Loading maps". Has anyone had the same problem before?
  • ReplyReply

• doolols

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 33
    « Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 01:06 »
    It's probably a bit late, but score another point for the Garmin Edge 500. I haven't used the course function, but it's there if I need it. Got it as a kit with the cadence and HRM, and bought (online) from Halfords (much cheaper than elsewhere).

Over dozens of rides, it's only failed once, and didn't record a training run. I think it may have been because I had too many previous runs stored. Since clearing them out, it's worked fine since. I probably had about 20-30 files in the "Activities" folder.
  • ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 11:29 »
    My 800 went ballistic and completely died on my a couple of weeks ago :(

Turned it in last week but still no message on when it will be fixed :(

I got so used to training with it, it feels strange not to :p
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 11:56 »

That sucks, had heard good thinga about garmin customer service before so hopefully it will back soon

• ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 13:03 »
    That sucks, had heard good thinga about garmin customer service before so hopefully it will back soon

I have no idea :p I turned it in at  the Shoppe where I bought it and they said they would send it to garmin.. So if they have to ship it to the US(which wouldn't amaze me) I'm fecked :p

I really want it back against the 20th of june when my exams are finished so I can start training seriously again :p Also the weeks after I'll be in the Provence around the Ventoux and all that so I wants it there!
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 842
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 02:45 »

how's your training going. i remember a year or 2 back you said you hoped to get in some youth team maybe but you weren't allowed to ride at the time.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 02:54 »
    Incidentally, for those with Garmin Edge 500s.  The latest firmware upgrade (v3.0) includes 2 more pages of data fields for training, taking it up to 5 configurable pages with up to 8 fields visible on each.  Supposedly they have also made a number of other improvements including fixing defects in the courses section.  (THe only issue I ever have with courses is that after a few hours, when I change pages the device switches off and I have to restart it.   Dont know if this is fixed by the upgrade)
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 03:00 »
    Incidentally, for those with Garmin Edge 500s.  The latest firmware upgrade (v3.0) includes 2 more pages of data fields for training, taking it up to 5 configurable pages with up to 8 fields visible on each.  Supposedly they have also made a number of other improvements including fixing defects in the courses section.  (THe only issue I ever have with courses is that after a few hours, when I change pages the device switches off and I have to restart it.   Dont know if this is fixed by the upgrade)

oh cool do i just plug into laptop to upgrade? have not used it for a while (as been off the bike) so have not plugged in either

never quite got the hang of the courses thing. think it got confused by my figure of 8 cycle route
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 03:05 »
    just need to plug it into a PC that has garmin webupdater on it.  Thats a tiny download off the garmin website.
    It will find your device, check its version and apply all upgrade necesssary to get you up to date.

One piece of advice - copy all your activities off the device and save them on your PC.  (you should do that anyway as there is no point carrying around heaps of files and they just slow the device down when you upload).  Then delete the files off the device.  The reason for this is that the upgrade processes all activity files it finds on your device (so its better to not have any!)
  • ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 19:06 »
    how's your training going. i remember a year or 2 back you said you hoped to get in some youth team maybe but you weren't allowed to ride at the time.

True dat, wasn't allowed to ride last year and fliped up at the uni again so lost quite a bit of motivation.

Started training again this year because I'm doing great at my studies again. Competed in my first race after 3 weeks of serious training (other guys had 3 months:p) and had to let go of the peloton after an hour. Avg was 45kmh in a very twisty and windy parcours.
    So things were looking great but then I got really ill for 2 weeks so no training then, week after exams no training either and lost the motivation a bit:/  Restarted training again last week to prepare for september and next year.. We'll se how I go after some proper training :) (Thing that keeps me motivated the most is that my old trainingbuddy -we're around the same level although I'm more explosive and slightly better on the flat- got 4th 3 weeks ago) So if he can do it, so can I :D
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 19:23 »
    True dat, wasn't allowed to ride last year and fliped up at the uni again so lost quite a bit of motivation.

Started training again this year because I'm doing great at my studies again. Competed in my first race after 3 weeks of serious training (other guys had 3 months:p) and had to let go of the peloton after an hour. Avg was 45kmh in a very twisty and windy parcours.
    So things were looking great but then I got really ill for 2 weeks so no training then, week after exams no training either and lost the motivation a bit:/  Restarted training again last week to prepare for september and next year.. We'll se how I go after some proper training :) (Thing that keeps me motivated the most is that my old trainingbuddy -we're around the same level although I'm more explosive and slightly better on the flat- got 4th 3 weeks ago) So if he can do it, so can I :D
    Man you should really take a closer look to your avg speed settings ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 20:40 »
    Man you should really take a closer look to your avg speed settings ;D

Dude I am not kidding :p U23 racing scene in Belgium is serious business :p Total race distance was 117k's and was done in 2h 47 m :p
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by zlaurent
    [October 21, 2021, 17:32]

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [October 16, 2021, 09:26]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by LukasCPH
    [October 14, 2021, 21:05]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [October 14, 2021, 13:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly