collapse

Caruut

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 521
    • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
  • Awards: Post of 2014
Re: Retirement announcements
« Reply #540 on: August 23, 2019, 18:31 »
From CN (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/marcel-kittel-retires-from-professional-cycling/)

Quote from: CN
Kittel will become a father in November and intends to study at University.

"As a cyclist, you’re traveling 200 days a year, and I do not want to see my son grow up on Skype," he said. “Family, friends, everything was too short, plus the permanent fatigue and the routine... I’ve realised this loss of quality of life more and more."

It's hard to fault his reasons for doing this. It does seem really hard for a professional cyclist to have any real focus outside of the bike. The part about not wanting to see his son grow up over Skype hits especially hard.

Still leaves something of a bitter taste though. It feels like the announcement just came 2 years too late, his heart just hasn't been in it. It's fine not to want to "torture" yourself, but it feels a little selfish to me when other riders had to torture themselves in the hope of Kittel picking up some glory, then he just doesn't bother turning up. Fine when you're a rider from a wealthy country with a degree lined up, but what about teammates for whom cycling is the only thing they've got?

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, I have no idea what demons he's dealing with, just my initial reaction.
  • ReplyReply

•