collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 14218
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Japan Cup / Criterium & Road Race
« on: October 14, 2013, 13:04 »
2013 Japan Cup

As the cycling season comes to an end this weekend all eyes will be on the Japan Cup in Utsunomiya, the last major one day race of the 2013 season. The race will take place for the 22nd time and is held on the same race course as the 1990 UCI World Championships.

The biggest cycling even in Japan consists of the road race on sunday and a criterium run in the city of Utsunomiya the day before.  The criterium is run since 2010 and last year it attrected over 30000 spectators.

Recent results / Criterium

YEAR 1st 2nd 3rd
2012      *pl   MARYCZ Jaroslaw      *jp   BEPPU Fumiyuki      *au   MCEWEN Robbie
2011      *au   VON HOFF Steele      *it   CIMOLAI Davide      *au   TANNER David
2010      *au   PALMER Thomas      *ru   GALIMZYANOV Denis      *se   LARSSON Gustav Erik

If you think 30000 sounds big, the road race on sunday is even bigger, 75000 spectators are expected to come to the Utsunomiya Forest and support the riders on the road side.
The race has a total distance of 151km consisting of ten laps on the 14,1km Forest Park circuit and a final lap of 10,3km heading to the finish in Utsunomiya. The biggest climb on the circuit is the Kogashi, featuring an altitude difference of 185m over less than 2km.

Recent results / Road Race

YEAR 1st 2nd 3rd
2012      *it   BASSO Ivan      *ie   MARTIN Daniel      *pl   MAJKA Rafal
2011      *au   HAAS Nathan      *jp   NIsh*tANI Taiji      *jp   SANO Junya
2010      *ie   MARTIN Daniel      *au   MCDONALD Peter      *jp   HATANAKA Yusuke
2009      *dk   SØRENSEN Chris Anker      *es   MORENO Daniel      *it   SANTAROMITA Ivan
2008      *it   CUNEGO Damiano      *it   VISCONTI Giovanni      *it   BASSO Ivan

Provisional Startlist

#opqs13      Omega Pharma - Quick-Step            #radioshack      RadioShack - Leopard            #cannondale      Cannondale Pro Cycling Team         
1      VERONA Carlos            11      HERMANS Ben            21      BASSO Ivan         
2      VERMOTE Julien            12      JUNGELS Bob            22      SAGAN Peter         
3      VANDENBERGH Stijn            14      OLIVEIRA Nelson            23      SAGAN Juraj         
4      TRENTIN Matteo            15      ROULSTON Hayden            24      KRIZEK Matthias         
5      SERRY Pieter            17      BENNETT George            25      MASUDA Nariyuki         

#sky      Sky Procycling            #saxotinkoff      Team Saxo-Tinkoff            #lampre      Lampre - Merida         
32      PORTE Richie            41      BRESCHEL Matti            51      CUNEGO Damiano         
33      EISEL Bernhard            42      MIYAZAWA Takashi            52      CONTI Valerio         
34      DOMBROWSKI Joe            43      PETROV Evgeni            54      FAVILLI Elia         
35      BOSWELL Ian            44      ROGERS Michael            55      MORI Manuele         
35      EDMONDSON Joshua            45      SUTHERLAND Rory            57      STORTONI Simone         

#garmin      Garmin - Sharp            #champion      Champion System Pro Cycling Team            #jellybelly      Jelly Belly p/b Kenda         
61      RASMUSSEN Alex            71      NISHIZONO Ryota            81      HUFF Charles Bradley         
62      BAUER Jack            72      BEYER Chad            82      HAMILTON Nic         
65      MARTIN Daniel            73      BRAMMEIER Matthew            83      DAVILA Luis Enrique         
66      VON HOFF Steele            74      FRIEDEMANN Matthias            84      MAZICH Sean         
67      HAAS Nathan            76      LEWIS Craig            85      RODRIGUEZ Fred         

#amore      Amore & Vita            #nippo      Team Nippo - De Rosa            #bridgestone      Team Bridgestone Anchor         
91      ALIZADEH Hossein            101      FUKUSHIMA Shinichi            111      SHIMIZU Miyataka         
93      SQUIRE Rob            102      ARREDONDO Julian David            112      LEBAS Thomas         
95      MARTINS Uri            103      NAKANE Hideto            113      HATSUYAMA Sho         
97      RAIM Mihkel            104      ISHIBASHI Manabu            114      ITAMI Kenji         
98      DI BATTISTA Antonio            105      UCHIMA Kohei            115      INOUE Kazuo         

#aisan      Aisan Racing Team            *jp      Team UKYO            *jp      Shimano Racing Team         
121      NIsh*tANI Taiji            131      TORIBIO Jose Vicente            141      HATANAKA Yusuke         
122      MORI Kazuhiro            132      DOI Yukihiro            142      SUZUKI Yuzuru         
123      NAKAJIMA Yasuharu            133      KANOU Tomoya            143      YOSHIDA Hayato         
124      ITO Masakazu            134      ABE Takayuki            144      IRIBE Shotaro         
125      HIRATSUKA Yoshimitsu            135      CABELLO BAENA Antonio            145      NISHIMURA Hiroki         

*jp      Japan            *jp      Utsunomiya Blitzen                           
151      KUROEDA Shiki            161      SUZUKI Shinri                           
152      TERASAKI Takero            162      FUKUHARA Masaru                           
153      UCHINO Naoya            163      NAKAMURA Makoto                           
154      AKIMARU Yuya            164      IINO Tomoyuki                           
155      YOSHIOKA Naoya            165      HORI Takaaki                           

TV Coverage
  • Criterium / Saturday, October 19th - Live
    • *jp JSPORTS 2: 3:00pm - 5:00pm jst (08:00 - 10:00 cest)
  • Road Race / Sunday, November 9th - Highlights
    • *jp JSPORTS 3: 9:00pm - 10:30pm jst (14:00 - 15:30 cest)

so the criterium is broadcasted live but there are only highlights (and only two weeks after) for the actual race, don't ask my why...
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Japan Cup / Criterium & Road Race
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 13:05 »
    additionally to the Japan Cup, one week later, and for the first time this year, there will also be the Saitama Criterium by Le Tour de France

Saitama Criterium by Le Tour de France

Froome, Sagan and Kittel will be there

The first edition of the Saitama Criterium by Le Tour de France will bring together the key riders of the 2013 Tour, starting with its clear winner, Chris Froome, plus green jersey Peter Sagan and the new king of sprint, Marcel Kittel. The Mayor of Saitama has welcomed several journalists to Tokyo to inform them about the competition and has some surprises up his sleeve for the coming months…

The strategies and roadmaps for 2014 have not been defined yet, but the giants of the peloton have written the date of their last challenge for the 2013 season in their diaries: October 26th at Saitama for a day’s competition in a new format. That is the day when Chris Froome will again wear the Yellow Jersey and race number 1 that he wore in July. The British rider will take on a challenge that may be even more difficult for him on the 2.7-kilometre circuit traced in the city centre. Among the likely winners, we should also keep an eye on the Green Jersey in 2012 and 2013, Peter Sagan, and Marcel Kittel, the winner of the Tour stages in Bastia, Saint-Malo, Tours and the Champs-Elysées. Simon Gerrans, another holder of the Yellow Jersey and stage winner in Corsica, has started training for the race in Saitama. Christophe Riblon, who was the most combative rider in the Tour de France and won the Alpe d’Huez stage, will also have a chance to show the quick reflexes he has learned from track cycling in Saitama’s points races. Other possible candidates are Japanese riders such as their national champion Yukiya Arashiro and Fumiyuki Beppu.

Chris Froome, Yellow Jersey in the 2013 Tour de France

“I haven’t often had the chance to ride in Japan, but on my previous visit I found the fans particularly welcoming and enthusiastic about their discovery of cycling. It will be an honour for me to show the Yellow Jersey to all the Japanese supporters of the Tour de France. I hope to do well and stay fit after the World Championship to prepare for the Saitama Criterium, and I will try and win there.”

Marcel Kittel, winner of four stages in the 2013 Tour de France

“I am keen and impatient to go to Japan. I’ve never been there, although I understand that a lot of spectators will line the route and that there will be a great atmosphere because the people there do not see a peloton of this level very often. I’ve had a fantastic season so far, and finishing it with a trip like this is incredible. All the more so because I like the design of the race. It’s perfect for sprinters, so I hope to give a good account of myself and win it.”

Christophe Riblon, winner at l’Alpe d’Huez and Most Combative Rider in the 2013 Tour de France

“It’s a pleasure to be invited to such a prestigious Criterium; I consider it an extra bonus for my victory at Alpe d’Huez this summer. I love travelling and I have never been to Japan, so I am very curious to see what it’s like. As for the competition itself, a points race is a format that could suit me. I don’t know about the others, but personally I will be in good shape because I will have taken part in the Tour of Beijing the previous week. So, things are in place for me to go after a result and end the season on a high note.”

Main contenders (as of September 25)

Sky Procycling : Froome, Porte, Thomas, Kennaugh. Cannondale Pro Cycling : P.Sagan, Basso, Masuda, J.Sagan. Team Argos-Shimano : Geschke, Kittel, Timmer, Veelers. Orica GreenEdge : Gerrans, Beppu, Meier, Clarke. AG2R La Mondiale : Gadret, Riblon, Bardet, Kadri. FDJ.fr : Vichot, Roy, Veikkanen, Geniez. Team Europcar: Arashiro, Jérôme, Gene, Cousin. Sélection Japonaise : Kosaka, Ikebe, Tsuji, Hashimoto, Tsujimoto, Kanai, Hirahara, Ota, Inoue, Sasaki, Shimada, Sano, Nakajima, Nish*tani, Mori, Shimizu, Hatsuyama, Kuboki, Fukushima, Uchima, Hatanaka, Yoshida, Doi, Takenouchi, Nishizono.

TV Coverage

• Saitama Criterium / Saturday, October 26th - Live
      • *jp JSPORTS 3: 2:30pm - 5:30pm jst (07:30 - 10:30 cest)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 13:45 »
    steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

that is all
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3820
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 15:00 »
    additionally to the Japan Cup, one week later, and for the first time this year, there will also be the Saitama Criterium by Le Tour de France

TV Coverage

• Saitama Criterium / Saturday, October 26th - Live
      • *jp JSPORTS 3: 2:30pm - 5:30pm jst (07:30 - 10:30 cest)

Odder still is the fact that Eurosport (UK at least) appear to be taking the live coverage, from 8-30cet.
     A last gasp from the season, after being dead and buried.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 15:15 »
    Saitama Criterium by Le Tour de France - An exciting programme

The leading lights of the 2014 Tour de France, including Chris Froome, Peter Sagan and Marcel Kittel, will be in Japan from October 25 to explore Saitama. They will be in their element when meeting local journalists, but not so much when they come up against sumo wrestlers for introductory lessons! They will be back in their comfort zone the day after, when they hop onto their bicycles for quite a few laps of the city circuit. Race director Jean-François Pescheux goes into the details of the last fixture of the season.

Mr Pescheux, your challenge consists of imbibing a race held in Japan with the flavour of the Tour de France. How do you do that?

The idea was to set up an urban circuit right in the heart of Saitama, just like when the Tour peloton rides a few laps of the final circuit in the stage to the Champs-Elysées. Of course, the environment is different, but the 2.7 km course also includes very wide avenues which can give rise to similar race situations.

The format of the Criterium was also designed with the Tour de France in mind...

Indeed, we have three races which could be viewed as three stages. The first two will be points races, with points on offer at the end of every other lap, while the third one will be a road stage on a circuit. The 54 km course will feature intermediate sprints, which will determine the points classification, as well as a small climb at the top of which riders will vie for the mountains classification. Finally, we will have a young rider classification and a teams classification, while a jury will award a combativity prize at the end of the race. Just like in the Tour!

The idea of points races is also a nod to track cycling, a favourite of the Japanese...

They invented keirin, most notably. Our points races, with several sprints each, borrow from this concept. It is a way of blending our cycling cultures while making sure the result is an exciting show. The Japanese never get to see such a star-studded field, so it is important to let them enjoy the performance for quite some time.

And a succession of sprints is a sure way of guaranteeing such a show...

What is for sure is that we will see short and nervous stages with multiple rewards on offer, which will promote movement and non-stop attacks. The Tour riders will be here for their last race of the season and a rare appearance in Asia, will want to pull off a performance worthy of their status and their jerseys. But I am quite sure that they will face a fierce challenge from the Japanese riders we invited.

:cheesy  :cheesy

Echoes will like this "race" I think
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 10:02 »
    Steele von Hoff wins the Japan Cup criterium again

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • World Champion
    • Liked: 4616
    • Awards: 2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 10:22 »
    Matti ftw! :S
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 08:17 »
    steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

that is all

:D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:07 »
    Result / Japan Cup

• ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 11:34 »
    Couldn't be happier for Mick. He has been one of the best domestiques of 2013, he deserves this reward.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 14:16 »
    Couldn't be happier for Mick. He has been one of the best domestiques of 2013, he deserves this reward.

He looked bonkers strong at Lombardia so it was good he could use some of that to chalk up a win. This kid won the 4th Grand Tour only recently, let's not forget.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 15:59 »
    Saitama Criterium by Le Tour de France - One day to go: they've had it tough!

The day before the Saitama Criterium by Le Tour de France proved something of an emotional rollercoaster for the riders. For one thing, Chris Froome and the rest came up against some trainee sumo wrestlers...

In the land of the rising sun, the day began with a piece of good news. It came directly from the mouth of Mr Shimizu, mayor of Saitama, who in the early hours of the morning officially ruled out any threat from Francisco and his younger brother Lekima. The two tropical storms have displayed impeccable taste in changing course to the south to allow the Saitama Criterium by Le Tour de France to go ahead in potentially rainy but "cycling-compatible" conditions! Reassured by this forecast, the riders from the international teams could relax and enjoy a carefully planned sightseeing trip. In fact, the stars of the 2013 Tour experienced a thrilling day of cultural discovery. Because while Japan is taking cycling to its heart, sumo wrestlers enjoy the greatest share of the limelight. Chris Froome and select members of his chase group from July had the chance to judge the courage and strength of these demi-gods for themselves in a beginners' session with a few young hopefuls… all aged under 18. The Yellow Jersey may have tamed Mont Ventoux, but he threw his 70 kg of muscle at a trainee sumo and only managed to shift him a handful of centimetres! "And I was up against one of the smallest guys," admitted the Briton, who didn't rule out inviting his opponent on the day to his training camp in Tenerife to get his revenge on the hilly roads of the Canary Islands. "I might have a chance of shaking him off on the descents…"

Marcel Kittel is often the strongest in the final straights, but couldn't make much more of an impact on the young colossuses than Froome. Green Jersey Peter Sagan, World Champion Rui Costa and the victor of Alpe d'Huez, Christophe Riblon, barely fared any better. Having left Saitama Sakae High School, the riders then inspected some bonsai tree specimens, some of which have been cultivated for over 1,000 years by generations of gardeners. Froome and the gang then kept an appointment with a group of journalists. The clapometer is registering more interest in the two lone Japanese to have finished the Tour de France, Yukiya Arashiro and Fumiyuki Beppu, than in their European and Australian colleagues. But scores will be settled tomorrow on the 2.7 km circuit in the streets of Saitama.

Startlist:

• #sky Sky Procycling
      • 1    Christopher FROOME    
      • 2    Richie PORTE    
      • 3    Geraint THOMAS    
      • 4    Peter KENNAUGH    

• #movistar Movistar Team
      • 11    Rui Alberto COSTA    
      • 12    Alejandro VALVERDE    
      • 13    Andrey AMADOR    
      • 14    Nicolas Jonathan CASTROVIEJO    

• #cannondale Cannondale
      • 21    Peter SAGAN    
      • 22    Ivan BASSO    
      • 23    Nariyuki MASUDA    
      • 24    Juraj SAGAN    

• #argos Team Argos-Shimano
      • 31    Simon GESCHKE    
      • 32    Marcel KITTEL    
      • 33    Albert TIMMER    
      • 34    Tom VEELERS

• #greenedge Orica GreenEDGE
      • 41    Simon GERRANS    
      • 42    Fumiyuki BEPPU    
      • 43    Simon CLARKE    
      • 44    Travis MEYER    

• #ag2r AG2R La Mondiale
      • 51    John GADRET    
      • 52    Christophe RIBLON    
      • 53    Romain BARDET    
      • 54    Blel KADRI    

• #fdj FDJ.FR
      • 61    Arthur VICHOT    
      • 62    Jérémy ROY    
      • 63    Jussi VEIKKANEN    
      • 64    Alexandre GENIEZ    

• #europcar Team Europcar
      • 71    Yukiya ARASHIRO    
      • 72    Vincent JEROME    
      • 73    Yohann GENÉ    
      • 74    Jérôme COUSIN    

• *jp Japanese Riders
      • 081    Miyataka SHIMIZU    
      • 082    Sho HATSUYAMA    
      • 083    Yasuharu NAKAJIMA    
      • 084    Taiji NIsh*tANI    
      • 085    Kazuhuro MORI    
      • 086    Yusuke HATANAKA    
      • 087    Hayato YOSHIDA    
      • 088    Yukihiro DOI    
      • 089    Ryota NISHIZONO    
      • 090    Shinichi FUKUSHIMA
      • 091    Kohei UCHIMA    
      • 092    Kazushige KUBOKI    
      • 093    Hikaru KOSAKA    
      • 094    Sota IKEBE    
      • 095    Yoshimitsu TSUJI    
      • 096    Eiya HASHIMOTO    
      • 097    Naoki TSUJIMOTO    
      • 098    Makoto KANAI    
      • 099    Kota HIRAHARA    
      • 100    Shinishi OTA    
      • 101    Yoshihiro INOUE    
      • 102    Yusuke SASAKI    
      • 103    Yoshiaki SHIMADA

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 16:00 »
    is there cq points for this race ?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 16:01 »
    nope
  • ReplyReply

•