Caruut

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 521
    • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
  • Awards: Post of 2014
Re: Football
« Reply #1230 on: March 06, 2013, 15:09 »
Not a red at all in my book, and here's why;

1) It was an attempt to control the ball, not a tackle. If it were a tackle, I think it would have been negligently dangerous and at the very least merited thinking seriously about a red.

2) Arbeloa was not at risk of serious injury. Unless a stud struck a rib directly, there isn't too much long term that could have happened to Arbeloa at all in that situation. He was in the air, meaning contact will cause him to move rather than put bits of him at risk of breaking. The reason high challenges around the legs are so harshly punished is that with a foot planted in the ground, the leg cannot move, so if enough force is applied, something has to break. That is not going to happen with a foot that high.

3) Even if it carried the same risk of injury, potentially injuring the torso should be treated more leniently than potentially injuring any part of the leg. The long term effects on a career are so much less significant if you have a broken rib that a broken leg - one can end a career, the other might stop you from playing for a week and keep you uncomfortable for a month.

All in all a poor refereeing display. However, sometimes referees are simply given an impossible task - I think we sort of owe it to them to give them video technology.

I'm also becoming more and more convinced that the away goals rule is simply not fit for purpose. Had it not been in effect that tie would have remained exciting until the 90th minute; it's football, so a goal can be scored at a moment's notice. As it is the second Madrid goal sucked the life out of what should have been a thrilling tie.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [October 16, 2021, 09:26]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by LukasCPH
    [October 14, 2021, 21:05]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [October 14, 2021, 13:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [October 11, 2021, 18:12]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by search