• Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Re: Football
    « Reply #1351 on: April 30, 2013, 21:52 »
    A little dissapointed that at least one Spanish team didnt get through. An all german final between two teams that know each other so well could be a bit dull.. All nation finals havnt always been the best..

But fascinating nonetheless
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 126
    Football
    « Reply #1352 on: April 30, 2013, 21:58 »
    *Pheeeeew*
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7916
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1353 on: May 01, 2013, 01:05 »
    Having an uncle in Dortmund, having been to the Westfalenstadion twice with him (first time in 1997 or 1998, I think - my first stadium experience, and next to the mighty Südtribüne), and being fond of the team since I was little kid (~1995), allow me to say:

Borussia, Borussia... :cool:
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 140
    « Reply #1354 on: May 02, 2013, 08:23 »
    Guardiola is only due to get in charge of Bayern in the end of season and they're already trouncing everyone. What a manager  :-x

• ReplyReply
  • "Women buy stuff at sales for the same reason men climb mountains - because they're there" (from 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King)

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 126
    « Reply #1355 on: May 08, 2013, 10:09 »
    Fergie retires! Love him or hate him, it's the end of an era for sure!
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 2049
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #1356 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12 »
    I am stunned..

As a life long United fan I don't know where we will go from here but it can only be down.. :embarrassed
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 542
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #1357 on: May 08, 2013, 11:04 »
    First Thatcher dies, then Fergie retires, somewhere theres a scouser with a magic lamp and one wish left. :D :D
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 213
    « Reply #1358 on: May 08, 2013, 11:29 »
    As a Man U fan i really really hope it is not Mourinho to replace him.

David Moyes would be my choice.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #1359 on: May 08, 2013, 11:56 »
    First Thatcher dies, then Fergie retires, somewhere theres a scouser with a magic lamp and one wish left. :D :D

We only have to wait for Dim.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2516
    « Reply #1360 on: May 08, 2013, 12:07 »
    One of the greatest managers of all time. Fergie got United through a rough time and leaves them in a pretty good position, with the debt coming down fast and a lot of money coming in from sponsorship deals. Perhaps it'll be a couple of tough years for them, but United is such a financial powerhouse, that's not going to change. And with FFP troubling City and Chelsea, United may continue to dominate.

Mourinho would be quite funny as manager, somewhere deep down I hope it happens. Would mean 2 great years for United with probably a CL title somewhere, and then complete and utter misery when the team falls apart. As a kind-of-neutral follower of English football, it would be glorious to see. Moyes is probably the right choice though, he has the attitude and ability. I do wonder whether United will be patient enough with him: he may need 2 or 3 years to adjust before bringing in the trophies. Klopp seems like a great option as well, he's mentioned often as the 3rd possibility, but will he leave Dortmund?

Perhaps the best option would be to have an experienced manager for 2 years while a next generation is getting ready to take over. Heynckes as coach, while a club man like Solskjaer, Gary Neville or even Giggs could be assistant for a couple of years before taking over?
    Also, isn't it possible Manchester United to a Barcelona and promote the current assistant? I haven't heard Phelan being mentioned as a realistic option anywhere?
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 542
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #1361 on: May 08, 2013, 12:12 »
    Howard Webb must be gutted, he'll never get another game for United.

Could still be kept on the payroll though ;)
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 842
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1362 on: May 08, 2013, 14:09 »
    We only have to wait for Dim.  :D
    sky won the tdf didn't they?
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #1363 on: May 08, 2013, 17:18 »
    Maggie dies, Fergie retires.. this is turning into quite a year..
  • ReplyReply

• S-Works

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 8
    « Reply #1364 on: May 08, 2013, 19:13 »
    Heard on RaiSport, after the Giro, Italian media (as they always do anyhow, no surprise) already naming Juve's Antonio Conte as a possible candidate to replace Fergie. This all because Conte wants a pay raise & Juve management to buy players... so you can see how the Italian media came to this conclusion...
    whatever.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #1365 on: May 08, 2013, 20:22 »
    :D regarding Italian Media

On Utd, definately the end of an era, I dont think we will ever see them dominate again like they have, nor any other team come to that. The thing about Man Utd over the last twenty years, they didnt always have the best team, but they had a manager who was two things

1) A very good man manager
    2) A very good man at playing mind games.

There are a fair few managers around in the game who are good at one of those, Mourninho number 2, Moyes number 1, Benitez number 2,  Wenger number 1, but find a manager who's good at both of those things..

And thats where UTD will now struggle.  There were signs towards the end that Ferguson was losing number 2, Old Trafford wasnt the fortress it was, this seasons premiership was mainly down to Utd signing one player, or perhaps city failing to sign a couple of players.

Personally I dont think Moyes is ready, my gut says Mourinho will go there, especially after his incredibly diplomatic attitute after beating UTd in the champions league.. But for me, the best choice would be Klop.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 2049
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #1366 on: May 08, 2013, 20:39 »
    So it is

Spoiler (hover to show)

I don't know what to say, it will be strange having someone but Fergie as manager but Moyes is a suitable candidate.
    The main catch was surely the consistency and reliability, they didn't possibly want to go for the latest thing off the blocks in Klopp or Mourinho who can't remain at one club for a constant amount of time. Instead of rebuilding after Fergie has left, not United can hopefully surge on with a clear direction and more security for the future.

Moyes deserves the job and he has done fantastic things with his Everton squad, he has the squad to go far at United, lets just hope he has the managerial ability to taken them there.. He has never proven what he could do with money and a really talented squad so I hope he surprises us all, but at the very least he will provide United with a solid base which rivals like Tottenham and Chelsea don't have and has always been United's big edge over their Top 4 opponents.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1367 on: May 08, 2013, 21:44 »
    Moyes has been prepped for the last 10 years for this job.

Moyes is practically family to Ferguson.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1368 on: May 09, 2013, 15:01 »
    I don't know ...  overachieving with everton  but united manchester will be different ..... maybe it's just the liverpool supporter in me :D
  • ReplyReply

• Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 140
    « Reply #1369 on: May 09, 2013, 15:11 »
    It looks like United have made a swap in the best traditions of Doctor Who - a new guise, the same core. Seriously, kinda déjà vu, with only the stakes being substantially bigger this time... 
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1370 on: May 09, 2013, 15:21 »
    Will  Everton fans see moyes as a traitor?
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1371 on: May 09, 2013, 15:39 »
    I hope the aberdeen situation doesn't happen to united  ... the situation after ferguson left aberdeen.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1372 on: May 09, 2013, 21:32 »
    I don't know ...  overachieving with everton  but united manchester will be different ..... maybe it's just the liverpool supporter in me :D

i used to like you Zam  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• S-Works

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 8
    « Reply #1373 on: May 11, 2013, 19:13 »
    Congrats to Wigan on their FA Cup victory!
    Goes to show you, money doesn't always buy victories... eh Man City?
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1374 on: May 13, 2013, 22:26 »
    Why did the Manchester United parade take place in Manchester and not London  :?
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #1375 on: May 14, 2013, 10:25 »
    Mancini bites the dust.   His man management skills were akin to Sir Bradley Wiggins bike handling in the wet, and that didn't help matters     Though the fact he couldn't persuade Van Persie to join has proved to be fatal IMO.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1376 on: May 14, 2013, 12:46 »
    Mancini bites the dust.   His man management skills were akin to Sir Bradley Wiggins bike handling in the wet, and that didn't help matters     Though the fact he couldn't persuade Van Persie to join has proved to be fatal IMO.

Thought it was that he couldn't get some of the worlds best players to play as a team and when things went wrong blamed others, never mind not winning anything.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #1377 on: May 15, 2013, 12:29 »
    Thought it was that he couldn't get some of the worlds best players to play as a team and when things went wrong blamed others, never mind not winning anything.

They have good players  but is James Milner world class?     Toure not with the same form of last year along with some of the strikers and thats probably partly down to Mancini yes.

But motivating multi millionaire mercenaries is probably quite difficult I'd imagine.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1378 on: May 15, 2013, 22:00 »
    They have good players  but is James Milner world class?     Toure not with the same form of last year along with some of the strikers and thats probably partly down to Mancini yes.

But motivating multi millionaire mercenaries is probably quite difficult I'd imagine.

I would say they have the best team on paper in the EPL. That Mancini made a mess of it. Compare what happened with Tevez at ManC to his time at ManU. Or the handling of Balotelli.

I dont think the motivation is a problem as they all have EGOs that need to be fed by playing, but getting them to put personalities aside and play as a team is the key to management at that level.

• ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Domestique
    • Liked: 465
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #1379 on: May 17, 2013, 20:14 »
    i'll be the first to make this prediction but swansea to get relegated from the prem in 13/14 season.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [October 16, 2021, 09:26]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by LukasCPH
    [October 14, 2021, 21:05]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [October 14, 2021, 13:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [October 11, 2021, 18:12]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by search