collapse

sublimit

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 159
Re: Football
« Reply #1140 on: January 07, 2013, 13:39 »
Boring and too obvious team for sure,  Wheres Van Persie, Ibrahimovich, Mata, Bale.  Neuer et al?

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1141 on: January 07, 2013, 13:45 »
    Isn't Adan better than Casillas?
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2516
    « Reply #1142 on: January 07, 2013, 13:48 »
    Well, there's only space for 3 forwards. As for the striker, between Falcao, Van Persie and Ibrahimovic it could go any way. Ronaldo and Messi are of course given, so pairing them with Falcao is understandable. Not including Bale is perfectly fine with me as well. Mata should be in there though, forgot about him. Neuer should be over Casillas, but more importantly the defence should be changed.

Neuer; Lahm, Kompany, Hummels, Marcelo; Pirlo, Mata, Iniesta; Messi, Falcao, Ronaldo.

Think that's what I would go with.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1143 on: January 07, 2013, 13:53 »
    I dont get the Pique hype,  Kompany is miles better and Vidic when fit probably the best of all.   Suarez is as good as anybody at the minute also.   

Khedhira is really good for Germany.   

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1144 on: January 07, 2013, 13:56 »
    In the eyes of the 'Special One', yes for others not sure. But there are better keepers out there than Casillas.
    Yeah, twas what I meant. Not serious.

Are your lot up to anything this January? Need a striker, no?
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1145 on: January 07, 2013, 14:09 »
    Who's on the market as a defensive midfielder? Also did seem weird that Arsenal wanted Lewis Holtby considering they have Arteta, Wilshere and even Ramsey and Cazorla.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 126
    Football
    « Reply #1146 on: January 08, 2013, 08:31 »
    Sir Alex Ferguson is considering a summer move to take Frank Lampard to Manchester United following Chelsea’s decision to allow the midfielder to leave Stamford Bridge at the end of his contract. (Daily Telegraph)

Arsene Wenger has been put on alert after Anderlecht midfielder Lucas Biglia made it clear he wants to move in January. (Daily Mirror)

http://m.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130108/transfer-rumours-and-paper-review-chris-davies-–-tuesday-jan
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

ram

« Reply #1147 on: January 08, 2013, 11:51 »
    There you go Ram, Arsenal are about to make a 'signing'. Reports are that Walcott is set to sign a new 4 year contract.
    Brilliant. Though quite a bump in wages.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1148 on: January 08, 2013, 13:15 »
    You're a tough taskmaster. Surely Ian Wright's is the acceptable, no?
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1149 on: January 08, 2013, 13:54 »
    Sage
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Football
    « Reply #1150 on: January 08, 2013, 18:21 »
    "@indykaila: Galatasarary statement: "Begun negotiations with Inter Milan for the transfer of Wesley Sneijder." #ManUtd #LFC"
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 842
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1151 on: January 11, 2013, 16:12 »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9795377/Twitter-map-finally-reveals-exactly-where-Manchester-United-fans-live.html

Supposedly shows where footballfans live. Wouldnt place too much into it though since the samples seem really small and it relies on the fans talking about their club on twitter.

Also  my area was always nothing but Manu fans yet according to this Liverpool Everton West ham and Villa are all more popular choices. Silent majority  i guess.   
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

kabloemski

• Classics Winner
    Football
    « Reply #1152 on: January 11, 2013, 19:09 »
    "@footballacca: Make sure you're following @DeadlineDayLive for the latest and reliable transfer window news. They quote the sources of all their tweets!"

• ReplyReply

• Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 140
    « Reply #1153 on: January 12, 2013, 19:28 »
    It seems the Saints have finally adjusted to the PL and should climb several places up until the end of season. I just hope they can keep this team together (which will be hard to attain considering that Luke Shaw looks a mature fullback who I suspect will make his debut in the English national team before turning 18). This squad is capable of more than a relegation battle, they can beat these arrogant dwellers of the top of table rather than feeding them with homegrown talents in the age of 16-18

Athletic have lost again...  :angry
  • ReplyReply
  • "Women buy stuff at sales for the same reason men climb mountains - because they're there" (from 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King)

froome19

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 2049
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #1154 on: January 12, 2013, 22:54 »
    Love the guy but come on..once you have scored one OG as a striker just avoid the penalty area ffs :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

froome19

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #1155 on: January 12, 2013, 23:02 »
    Jamie Carragher scored 2 in one game in 1999 against United.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #1156 on: January 12, 2013, 23:08 »
    Dunne is an absolute legend one of my favourite players. Getting a bit rusty I think these days though.
    He seems to be moving to greener and more favourable pastures for a player of his age: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2254827/Richard-Dunne-set-make-transfer-Aston-Villa-New-York-Red-Bulls.html

Here is something I saw on the OG topic:
    Hi Martin, I've never posed a question to you before, but being a much happier Spurs fan this week I am beginning to wonder if Jamie Carragher is a closet Spurs fan too. I remember in 1998-99 he managed an own goal in both league fixtures, in addition to his much appreciated effort yesterday. Not only that, I seem to recall he managed two own goals in one game against Manchester United at Anfield in a 3-2 defeat a few seasons back. Surely this guy has some sort of unwanted record when it comes to the dreaded own goals record, either against (or should I say for!) one club, or even in total? James Chesney, Chelmsford
    MARTIN SAYS: You are right in remembering Jamie Carragher's own goals against Spurs and indeed his two in the same against Manchester United back in September 1999. Those five own goals are actually the sum total of times Jamie has put through his own goal in the Premier League, but he is not the worst offender, I can tell you. That dubious honour is shared between two stalwarts of our game: Frank Sinclair and Richard Dunne, who I saw put through his own goal on Sunday of course! That was Richard's second OG in four games and sees him move level with Frank. Far be it from me to name and shame but our good friends at Opta have provided a list of the top own goal scorers; all I will say is that they are all defenders whose willingness to keep the ball at bay is bound to backfire once in a while.

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #1157 on: January 13, 2013, 01:50 »
    Hasn't Carragher scored more own goals than goals?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #1158 on: January 13, 2013, 16:58 »
    Feel bad for Arsenal. They just seem to have no clue what they are doing out there. Wenger needs to come up with something for the 2nd half pretty quick to save them from embarrassment.

Oh and I dont really feel bad for them :D

Quoting from the shoutbox the United V Liverpool game showed the difference between the 2 clubs. United are winning and Liverpool are not. Not entirely true but in its simplistic form it is. Sturridge could be the catalyst for a Liverpool charge though. I was appalled at how he was treated at Chelsea. He has a bad of talent and with Liverpool's relative lack of it atm (or at least portrayal) he should hopefully have an impact. And it would also be great for England. I would be terrified starting Welbeck against any team who claims to be half decent and Sturridge is certainly more of a threat. Welbeck had a very good first half today though.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1159 on: January 15, 2013, 13:11 »
    They'll probably play a more positive game now, not the dour 0-0 draw at all cost stuff from Levine.
    The players are pretty ordinary for sure but Darren Fletcher being ill/injured is a big miss for them IMO.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1160 on: January 15, 2013, 14:34 »
    I hope he still does MOTD2/Champions League stuff. I like his surreal replies etc

I'm looking forward to his post match interviews after his Scotland team have been taken to the cleaners.     Could be very entertaining.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 542
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #1161 on: January 16, 2013, 16:14 »
    Guardiola to Bayern then at the end of the season.
    Turning down Chealsea shows what an intelligent guy he is.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14507
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1162 on: January 16, 2013, 16:23 »
    very good news, that means Dortmund will be champion again next year  :cheesy
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 140
    « Reply #1163 on: January 16, 2013, 16:31 »
    Yeah, Guardiola is the most overrated manager in the world, so Bayer L. to (finally) win the title  :cool:
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7922
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1164 on: January 16, 2013, 16:50 »
    Either way, that's going to be entertaining.
    Either he turns Bayern into a second coming of Barça (although Müller is a bad stand-in for Messi - Götze might just do though ;)), or he gets on the wrong side of the old Bayern establishment (Hoeneß, Beckenbauer etc.) , and not to forget Sammer. Seeing those two squabble with each other will be worth it.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #1165 on: January 16, 2013, 21:59 »
    laughing at Chavski! 2-0 and you fliped it up!

fliped it up! was no flip up was the power of the might saints that undid them
    this week 15th next week the champions league
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1166 on: January 16, 2013, 23:53 »
    Don't quite understand why Guardiola is that highly rated as a coach. OK, he won a hell of a lot of prizes, but he did have the best team of the world at his disposal. Messi, Iniesta, Xavi.. And he didn't really develop any of those players I think, even Messi was pretty much established when Guardiola started, or wasn't he?

But Bayern is a fine team, probably the only real top-class team with a healthy financial situation. Plus, they have some very talented players. I do wonder what he'll do with Robben though.. Anyway, Guardiola made a wise choice to go to Bayern rather than to Chelsea or Manchester City.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1167 on: January 17, 2013, 09:03 »
    I do wonder what he'll do with Robben though..

I do wonder what he'll do with Gomez... Either he's deemed surplus to requirements after 2 weeks of training, or he turns into an absolute scoring machine.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1168 on: January 17, 2013, 12:19 »
    I do wonder what he'll do with Gomez... Either he's deemed surplus to requirements after 2 weeks of training, or he turns into an absolute scoring machine.

It might work well with Gomez; Guardiola was looking for a striker at Barcelona for a long time, signing Ibrahimovic and Villa for instance, but it never worked. With Gomez, he might just find his striker, I can't really imagine Bayern playing with Müller as a false 9 or something like that.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #1169 on: January 17, 2013, 19:39 »
    The problem with Gomez is that he's a one-trick pony of epic proportions: He can stand in the box, anticipate the pass/cross, lose his marking opponent and put his foot on the ball to deflect it into the net. He does that very well.
    But that's all he can do (you may have noticed I'm not overly fond of him ;)).

He doesn't defend well or try to win the ball back, something that he'll have to do if Guardiola wants to implement a Barcelona-style. Of course, he could always defend with just 9 outfield players, leaving Gomez as a pure poacher. It could probably work against some Bundesliga teams, simply because of Bayern's superior individual players. But against the top teams, and in European football, that's simply not enough.
    Then again, he could use Mandzukic for these fixtures; and after Gomez becomes Bundesliga top-scorer with 25 goals, everybody and their mother will cry out if the offensive part of the German 2014 WC first eleven consists of Özil, Reus, Schürrle and Götze. Remember Martin Max being picked for 2002? :rolleye
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [November 24, 2021, 10:55]