L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6786
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Please stop Larry God damn it! ;D
I need bike stand 8), far as I get is using rear hatch bike rack mounted on some door, but I found it pretty scary :o
Oh those Oakley are kool and stylish 8) I want it!

Thanks, Tone. Console yourself with the thought that after today's purchases I am now officially destitute.  :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    Thanks, Tone. Console yourself with the thought that after today's purchases I am now officially destitute.  :fp
    LOl ;D, I have to google that destitute word, I know now what you mean, completely broke ;D. Well welcome to the club, I am spending money of food and bikes only ;D
    But I am always saying, it is better to spend money on bikes then on drugs ;D
    It is damn expensive sport and once we are in that, there is no way out, maybe we should ask for therapist help :fp
    Jesus, I must buy chorus front mech, no and pedals.

P.S. When I am approaching money machine, I have a feeling like heading to the Wall of Crying ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    Please stop Larry God damn it! ;D
    I need bike stand 8), far as I get is using rear hatch bike rack mounted on some door, but I found it pretty scary :o
    Oh those Oakley are kool and stylish 8) I want it!

my bike stand is usually trying to convince an 8 year old to hold it still

cleaning is ok, i am so crap at maintenance i now just take the bike to the shop to be serviced.

gone are the hours I spent as a teenager trying to get the wheel hubs back together again
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    Thanks, man! It's a 586 UD with Athena and Chorus mix. Surprised by the Athena quality: lots of carbon for a midrange group. Couldn't afford full Chorus ;)

Frame is lovely. Really impressed but still trying to get used to the scary lightness of the front end.

Not Cofidis level yet, AG, but getting there. Mrs L'arri did a couple more pics so I'll post them shortly.

The weather is crappy here atm plus I'm a desk slave, so I've only done a couple of rides out so far but I do about 16km / 10m twice a day on the turbo most days. Basic pyramid stuff.
    Athena is good I hear. No prob. 586 is a pro frame.
  • ReplyReply

• Michielveedeebee

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 51
    Sweet glasses Arri! :D and Edge is awesooome!
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Craig1985

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Soon be time for winter. I'm looking for some recommendations on overshoes, gloves etc. following some very mixed reviews on my brands of choice.

In particular, these:

Castelli Diluvio. Some say good, others less so.

I have a temperature range between -10 deg C and +10 deg C, lots of rain and filth. I have pretty bad circulation and get cold extremities a lot (even indoors). When I was a kid, I occasionally had to wee on my hands, y'know?

So I want some overshoes and gloves that are warm and reasonably waterproof. In the case of overshoes, they need to last a whole winter of standing at junctions and traffic lights.

Particularly interested in the opinions of those of you who live in harsher weather regions of the world. Thoughts?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    One tip

Ski socks I use Ski socks , shoes then a pretty basic over shoe to stop the wind. Warm as toast as the socks keep to warm and wick water from the 50 000 swear glans on your feet, the over shoe keeps the wind out, using the overshoe to keep you warm is a mistake imho

layers is the key.

Gloves are another issue I hate them so tend on ride without gloves , but Hinchapie sports have some great winter gloves that have worked for some people with Raynaud's. https://www.hincapie.com/products/menswear/accessories/

Again you might consider 2 sets for those bad days linners and thicker gloves,

another tip is to have 2 sets of the gloves of choice, when you stop for a cafe, pull out the new dry gloves, let them warm to room temp and then ride home in them, while to others are in the pockets

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    This is all great stuff, jsg.

I also wanted to know this:

Two schools - shoes + overshoes and winter shoes. Anyone tried the latter style? Gaerne does them:

• ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    Am I only guy who does not seen any advantage of overshoes, I mean it does not help at all in my case ::)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Am I only guy who does not seen any advantage of overshoes, I mean it does not help at all in my case ::)

anyways trying to be different  :D

and yes  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org

Even if they don't keep your feet warm and dry, they do keep the mud off your fancy patent leather. I wear the thin oversocks if there's even a hint that rain may follow because my shoes would look very tatty if they got dirty.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    anyways trying to be different  :D

and yes  ;)
    Thanks God! ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    Even if they don't keep your feet warm and dry, they do keep the mud off your fancy patent leather. I wear the thin oversocks if there's even a hint that rain may follow because my shoes would look very tatty if they got dirty.
    True that, my new sidi ergo 3 are so dirty that I am shame, but I am to lazy to put Gore overshoes every time...and having nice sidi time trial overshoes, but they are white :fp
    In short I am lazy yes! :wave
    Hey Larry, lot of guys here I mean everyone have problem with sidi width, so you and me are not only one :fp
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    True that, my new sidi ergo 3 are so dirty that I am shame, but I am to lazy to put Gore overshoes every time...and having nice sidi time trial overshoes, but they are white :fp
    In short I am lazy yes! :wave
    Hey Larry, lot of guys here I mean everyone have problem with sidi width, so you and me are not only one :fp

That's nice to know, Tone. After several months with the Gaernes, I can tell you that even they are not quite wide enough for me!
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 213
    Well L'arri you gonna be riding the Paris Roubaix sportive, Flanders Sportive, and LBL next year or what?

Enough of this fluffing about with equipement, lets get down to the business of some serious riding ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Well L'arri you gonna be riding the Paris Roubaix sportive, Flanders Sportive, and LBL next year or what?

Enough of this fluffing about with equipement, lets get down to the business of some serious riding ;D

An old training mate whom I haven't seen in years challenged me to do the Paris-Roubaix Sportive with him and I balked at that, even though it would be lovely just to see him. And that was because I haven't worked out how far I want to take it yet.

I've been off the bike due to surgery for a couple of weeks now. Just before that things were really getting interesting. I was starting to feel some good sensations, finding to my own surprise that I could open it up and ride quite hard, and it made me pretty sad to have to step off again.  :'(

I don't know if I can live with the structure that I think it probably takes to do a big sportive. The main reason I drifted out of the sport as a kid was because it all seemed to have gotten a bit too serious (without my realising it) and I found that I wasn't enjoying it anymore.

It's early days yet, but from a distance, the sportives don't really turn me on that much. All I want right now is to get back on the bike. :)
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    An old training mate whom I haven't seen in years challenged me to do the Paris-Roubaix Sportive with him and I balked at that, even though it would be lovely just to see him. And that was because I haven't worked out how far I want to take it yet.

I've been off the bike due to surgery for a couple of weeks now. Just before that things were really getting interesting. I was starting to feel some good sensations, finding to my own surprise that I could open it up and ride quite hard, and it made me pretty sad to have to step off again.  :'(

I don't know if I can live with the structure that I think it probably takes to do a big sportive. The main reason I drifted out of the sport as a kid was because it all seemed to have gotten a bit too serious (without my realising it) and I found that I wasn't enjoying it anymore.

It's early days yet, but from a distance, the sportives don't really turn me on that much. All I want right now is to get back on the bike. :)

Jeez how long have you had the bike and you are already sounding like Andy Schleck :fp
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Jeez how long have you had the bike and you are already sounding like Andy Shleck :fp

You're much too critical, benno. Everybody's different. :) I haven't ridden a bike for 16 years and then I finally get to ride one for six weeks and you're already pushing me to do the big sportives.  Next you'll be telling me there's still time to go pro and win a GT within five years.  ;D

All in good time, sir. On verra:P
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    You're much too critical, benno. Everybody's different. :) I haven't ridden a bike for 16 years and then I finally get to ride one for six weeks and you're already pushing me to do the big sportives.  Next you'll be telling me there's still time to go pro and win a GT within five years.  ;D

All in good time, sir. On verra:P

Well about turning pro, I know a good doctor, he will give you very good training, you should win the next 3 or 4 GTs if you ring him today ;D

I take 15% ok 8)
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    That's nice to know, Tone. After several months with the Gaernes, I can tell you that even they are not quite wide enough for me!
    ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    Jeez how long have you had the bike and you are already sounding like Andy Schleck :fp
    Are you fast or just sound like that?
    Please 8)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Are you fast or just sound like that?
    Please 8)

I reckon Benno doesn't actually ride a bike. We have never seen any evidence that he does. He is just heckling poor unfortunate people like me and Andy Schleck from the comfort of his armchair.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    I reckon Benno doesn't actually ride a bike. We have never seen any evidence that he does. He is just heckling poor unfortunate people like me and Andy Schleck from the comfort of his armchair.  ;D
    What should I say more ;D?
    True that!
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain

I am cut from the same mould as Sean Kelly, after that they threw it away 8)

as for posting evidence, be careful what you put out there O0
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    as for posting evidence, be careful what you put out there O0

Hahahahahahahaahahahahaha! Touché, touché.
  • ReplyReply

•