collapse

Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 86
Compact Drop Bars or not....
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:04 »
Hello Everyone,

Right I am just getting round to finishing off my summer ride and I would like some help in understanding the difference between these two bars. Well clearly I can see what the difference is, but could anybody help in explaining what the difference would be ergonomically, how different would the compact bars feel or how much of a difference would they make to my riding position. I know how wide I need them, I am just not sure about this shallow drop thing.

To be honest I do not spend a massive amount of time in my drops, and if I think about it having slightly shallower ones would (in my own head) seem to be more comfortable for me, but I might be totally wrong here.

I can't really try before I buy unfortunately however I have absolute faith that we can all decide together :)

Here are my two options, and yes I have to have Enve as the wheels and rest of the finishing kit is Enve and AX Lightness. Actually I have a crank question also but will leave that for a few hours :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on my drop selection... yo!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enve-Handlebar-Road-Compact-Short-Shallow-Compact-/121310348423?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item1c3ea90487

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enve-Handlebar-Road-Traditional-/121310348508?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item1c3ea904dc

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: Compact Drop Bars or not....
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:46 »
    The compact ones look more like the kind of thing one would see on track bikes but I really don't see a big difference.

If you ...

- often ride deep on the drops to get low
    - do a lot of climbing from the drops Flecha-style
    - ride a lot of criterium events
    - have shorter arms

... then I can see how there might be some value in having the compact bars.

I'm not really sure if those are the advantages but they seem to be relevant, I guess, because such bars would moderately change your riding position.

Personally, I don't do a whole lot of riding on the drops because I'm neither a racer nor a super-fit rider and I get a lot of neck pain, so I probably wouldn't like such a tight curve.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

sublimit

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 14:26 »
    The compact pair look more aesthetic,     I'd go with those personally.   

You can still ride on the tops and if you want burn yourself into oblivion and go for a bit more speed you can get onto the drops.
  • ReplyReply

• Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 15:16 »
    Thanks a lot! The main time I will use my drops is into a headwind, to be totally honest the rest of the time I don't touch them, I seem to ride with my hands on the hoods all the time, or if climbing kind of together on the tops.

They are going on this

http://www.parleecycles.com/z5sli-overview/

I suspect that the picture there actually shows the exact Enve compact bars but I can't be sure. The  more I look at it though the more convinced I am that it is them.

I have dangerously been hanging around on the AX Lightness site today. I have never seen their complete bikes before, insane, I can't stop thinking about both of them but I think I like the look of the sloper most.

http://shop.ax-lightness.de/komplettrader/alpha-das-carbon-fahrrad-31.html

5.3kg's .... Blimey ....

• ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 17:23 »
    Im trying to remember the last time i rode on the drops, im not sure i ever have on the cross bike. Always on the hoods (climbing) or the bars (flat and descending).
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 377
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 09:08 »
    The whole point of a compact or shallow drop bar is to get less flexible riders down into the drops more often. After all, what is the point of having pro style bars if you can't get down into the drops and use them properly ;)

If you can get long and low a lot easier then you are going to use the drops a whole lot more, this is why so many bikes are specced with them these days.

Post Merge: April 07, 2014, 09:13
    The compact ones look more like the kind of thing one would see on track bikes but I really don't see a big difference.

If you ...

- often ride deep on the drops to get low
    - do a lot of climbing from the drops Flecha-style
    - ride a lot of criterium events
    - have shorter arms

... then I can see how there might be some value in having the compact bars.

I'm not really sure if those are the advantages but they seem to be relevant, I guess, because such bars would moderately change your riding position.

Personally, I don't do a whole lot of riding on the drops because I'm neither a racer nor a super-fit rider and I get a lot of neck pain, so I probably wouldn't like such a tight curve.

If you get a lot of neck pain and struggle to get low, then I'd actually recommend a set of shallow drops for you. The tighter curve mean you won't be as low when you use them, reducing the strain on your neck and shoulders when in the drops. Sure, you won't be as low as you would be in a deeper drop bar, but I guarantee you can hold your position for a lot longer, with less effort :)
  • ReplyReply

• Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 23:48 »
    Oh wow, thank you very much 42x16ss .... That makes perfect sense and would actually suit me perfectly, I would like to be in them more but to be totally honest I feel that I have a little less control over braking and shifting when I am deep down in them, when I am.

Everything you have said is totally perfect for what I want.

Which is a good job as I bought them a week ago and they are waiting for me at home!

Now I just need a fitting to see which length of stem is going to be right, and that's it done. Summer bike ready.

Thank you all!!
  • ReplyReply

•