collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11460
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
  • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: Qhubeka - winning in a place near you
« Reply #481 on: November 29, 2014, 07:23 »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boasson-hagen-i-dont-think-many-teams-will-be-as-fast-as-us

It really looks like Highroad, it is not just one big GC rider so all different riders can win. I hope that we can have something similar to that.”

and the Key for EBH having success i think, look waht happened in that TDF which everyone called shocking in 2011 ( I think ) 2 stage wins
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4017
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #482 on: November 29, 2014, 16:53 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boasson-hagen-i-dont-think-many-teams-will-be-as-fast-as-us

The majority of the signings have been sprinters, with Matt Goss, Tyler Farrar, Theo Bos and Reinardt Janse van Rensberg – who has previously raced for the team - coming into the fold. None of the sprinters have ever raced together but Boasson Hagen is confident that they can make it work.
    It will be very interesting to see if they can make this team gel. I hope they blow the doors off some other teams in the sprints. Would be quite fun and exciting to watch.  :cool

Lots of firepower on paper. Curious to see if it will translate into success.
    Perhaps they're hoping to confuse other lead out trains with their new team kits?  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #483 on: November 29, 2014, 17:06 »
    How are there not pics of the new kit in this thread yet?  :S

Btw, the official team website is horrid. Couldn't find one pic of the new kit on there, and the gallery link highlights the team launch...in 2013.  :S

http://www.teammtnqhubeka.com/?gallery_categories=all

Am I in the wrong thread?
    Is this a different team?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #484 on: November 29, 2014, 18:09 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/farrar-invigorated-by-mtn-qhubeka-move

Invigoration is a prevalent theme when Tyler Farrar talks about his switch to the MTN-Qhubeka team.

“They did a really good job putting together our roster and not just looking at numbers and resumes but looking at personalities,” he explained. “I’ve never been in a team with this much classics and sprinting depth. I think we’re going to be able to play off each other. We each bring our own strengths and weaknesses to the table. It’s going to take a few races to work out the kinks and I’m sure that we’ll get it wrong a few times but once we get it sorted out I think that we will be a force to be reckoned with.”

Farrar knows that the early part of the year is the most important to ensure a great calendar for the remainder of the season. “The goal is to come out swinging from day one and to show what we’re capable of. If that happens then the invitations will flow.”
    That sounds like fun.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Ruudz0r

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 13
    « Reply #487 on: January 22, 2015, 18:42 »
    I got to interview Merhawi Kudus, a rider with a very bright future in my opinion. I think he could be one of the surprises of the season, you can find the interview here: http://www.cyclingupdates.com/interview-merhawi-kudus/ . He aint a big talker though, good thing he will talk with his legs this season!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #488 on: January 29, 2015, 06:21 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 666

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #493 on: March 01, 2015, 01:16 »
    Results for Omloop Het Nieuwsblad 2015  :-x

27   Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) MTN - Qhubeka
    50   Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (RSA) MTN - Qhubeka
    51   Tyler Farrar (USA) MTN - Qhubeka
    85   Matt Brammeier (Irl) MTN - Qhubeka       
    86   Jaco Venter (RSA) MTN - Qhubeka
    103   Gerald Ciolek (Ger) MTN - Qhubeka
    DNF   Theo Bos (Ned) MTN - Qhubeka       
    DNF   Jay Robert Thomson (RSA) MTN - Qhubeka

J.P. Heynderickx – Sports Director

We were in the race today and that was what asked of our guys in our meeting this morning. We needed to be in the break in the beginning and then present again in the final. In the break we had Matt, he was very strong there and made a very good move. Then in the final we were there with 4 riders but they all had flats at a bad moment. We were car 2 in the race and even still we had to take a wheel from the neutral service, which means we were at the very front of the race and is just bad luck. Tyler, Theo and Edvald all punctured at this bad moment. Jay was in very good shape and a key rider in our team but he crashed in the middle of the race. The good thing is we were there in the front and that is a good sign for the upcoming races. I believe in our team for these next races.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14174
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #494 on: March 01, 2015, 08:05 »
    I struggle to believe this tbh, especially that Bos lost the race due to a punctute. What does "in front" mean anyway in this case? In the peloton with 80k to go!?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #495 on: March 01, 2015, 10:18 »
    Also all their 4 riders punctured, what is the chances of that happening?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #496 on: March 01, 2015, 10:48 »
    Also all their 4 riders punctured, what is the chances of that happening?
    Schwalbe for the 2015 season, Schwalbe will be the tires provider for MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung.

They have a product for all terrains which will serve MTN-Qhubeka well from the cobblestone roads in the classics to the smooth tarred bunch sprints in the Grand Tours.
    :-x
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #497 on: March 01, 2015, 14:01 »
    :-x

Hopefully Schwalpe doesn't produce condoms then, they should check their rubber quality.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #498 on: March 01, 2015, 15:54 »
    it can happen of course -- but I will surely check my videos later on to see if this really happened when the selection wa smade :P

Sbaragli came 8th today, good result for him, who was probably supposed to be something like 5th leadout man, considering that EBH, Ciolek, Farrar and Bos all were around today
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #499 on: March 01, 2015, 22:38 »
    it can happen of course -- but I will surely check my videos later on to see if this really happened when the selection was made :P

I did. Farrar was at the very back of the peloton when the selection was made, he might indeed have had a mechanical - EBH was sitting comfortably at the front though, just not strong enough to follow the initial attack (nor the counter attack from Vanmarcke et al, despite being in a even better position at that point of the race)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #500 on: March 02, 2015, 00:28 »
    Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne 2015

8 - Kristian Sbaragli (Ita) MTN - Qhubeka
    13 - Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) MTN - Qhubeka
    65 - Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (RSA) MTN - Qhubeka
    66 - Tyler Farrar (USA) MTN - Qhubeka
    68 - Gerald Ciolek (Ger) MTN - Qhubeka
    70 - Youcef Reguigui (Alg) MTN - Qhubeka
    DNF   Matt Brammeier (Irl) MTN - Qhubeka
    DNF   Theo Bos (Ned) MTN - Qhubeka

A rather strained endorsement:
    J.P. Heynderickx – Sport Director

It was a good result for Kristian today but overall I expected a bit more from the team. We missed the break at a key point but after that we did a good job in the chase. Kristian was 8th which is okay but I think we could’ve done better.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #501 on: March 02, 2015, 00:59 »
    GP Lugano 2015

Jens Zemke – Head of Performance

We won the GPM competition today with Daniel Teklehaimanot. He was in the lead for just about the complete race after he was in the early break along with Nic Dougall and 15 or 16 others. He attacked near the end as well but was brought back. In the last lap 9 riders escaped with Natnael part of the move but they also got brought back around 20 riders. Unfortunately we had no riders in that group so no placing today but the boys rode pretty well and Daniel was on the podium so that is okay.

I'm assuming GPM=KOM?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7819
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #502 on: March 02, 2015, 11:32 »
    I'm assuming GPM=KOM?
    Sí=Yes. ;)

The classics team's opening weekend was underwhelming. Five new signings, four of which are classics sprinters, and the best result in KBK is Sbaragli's 8th place. In the Omloop they were nowhere when the race got real.

It's the early season, yes, and you can always have a mechanical at a bad moment; but if it continues like this ... #mtn is not a retirement home, they do want to compete with the others.
    I've been thinking for a while that some of the Euro riders might have chosen the team exactly for its development project - get paid well to mentor the Africans and without pressure for results. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't go for results!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #503 on: March 02, 2015, 21:55 »
    I've been thinking for a while that some of the Euro riders might have chosen the team exactly for its development project - get paid well to mentor the Africans and without pressure for results. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't go for results!
    I have to believe that, at their core, these guys are competitors first. Money aside, I would imagine that they very much want to win. But they had better show themselves, and soon. On paper, there's a lot of firepower there. Will it translate in the real world? That is the big question, and one that has me most intrigued.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #504 on: March 02, 2015, 23:40 »
    On paper, there's a lot of firepower there.

I would say that on paper there is a lot of slightly wet fireworks there. Goss, Farrah etc. riders that seems to have been declining for seasons. I suppose the real question is, will it ignite?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #505 on: March 02, 2015, 23:46 »
    I suppose the real question is, will it ignite?

Or...
    Is the whole greater, or lesser, than the sum of the parts?  :slow
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #506 on: March 03, 2015, 09:09 »
    Or...
    Is the whole greater, or lesser, than the sum of the parts?  :slow

In some regards I think it is like trying to build a car, but instead of getting different parts you just get 10 carborators, disregarding engine, doors and wheels entirely :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #507 on: March 15, 2015, 18:59 »
    This poor, lonely thread!   :(

I had this distant dream of following each race this team participated in (at least for the spring), and posting daily updates here. My timezone/daily schedule just didn't allow for that. :fp

Now granted, Langkawi wouldn't exactly qualify as a "place near me," but...but...but...

THEY FINALLY DID IT! :win

Two parts to this story.
    Tour de Langkawi: Reguigui beats Henao on Fraser's Hill

Youcef Reguigui (MTN-Qhubeka) claimed victory atop Fraser’s Hill on the penultimate stage of the Tour de Langkawi. The victory secured Reguigui the lead in the general classification, which he should hold come the race’s conclusion in Kuala Lumpur tomorrow.

“This is my first victory this year and it is a victory for Messa, my one-month-old baby,” said a delighted Reguigui. “I was happy because I had good legs today and in the last 25 kilometres I was on the front with Jacques [Van Rensburg] and Natnael [Berhane]. Normally I work for Natnael but before 5km to go he told me he didn’t have the legs, so I made the decision to stay at the front and when I saw 1km I made the plan for the sprint.

The climb was incredibly hard for me to hold on but I managed to stay in the front group. Then 2 kilometers to go Jacques said to me, “you can win this!” I felt a bit stronger and managed to hold on a bit longer. When I saw the 500 meter banner I knew I could win. I started my sprint at 300 and I’m so happy to be able to win the stage for my team who have ridden so well this week. I hope this win will also motivate the people that believe in #BicyclesChangeLives.

------------------------

Victory at last.  :s

Youcef Reguigui wins Tour de Langkawi overall

“I was happy to keep the jersey today after a very hard race. I am so happy to get this victory, it is my first professional GC win and I am really just so, so happy right now.

Rollercoaster week for MTN-Qhubeka at Tour de Langkawi

The victory is a welcome boost as the team sets its sights on its big goal in July, when it will become the first African team to take part in the Tour de France.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #508 on: March 15, 2015, 19:10 »
    it's also looking good in Tirreno Adriatico, Cummings is currently 9th in gc, only 24 seconds away from the podium, and probably the best timetrialist of all those riders still in touch.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #509 on: March 16, 2015, 17:32 »
     :o

• ReplyReply

•