collapse

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
  • Liked: 7819
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Qhubeka - winning in a place near you
« Reply #510 on: March 16, 2015, 18:57 »
:o
Glad I'm just a hack and not a swanny! :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4017
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #511 on: March 29, 2015, 00:38 »
    I hadn't realized that Eurosport's Brian Smith (Scotsman, former Olympian, and British National Road Race Champion) was the GM at #mtn

According to press reports, he was designated that role on an interim basis for the 2014 season, but he is still listed as such on the MTN-Qhubeka site.

I also just noticed that his Wiki page was recently edited, and I have a sneaking suspicion as to why.  ;)

I was also unaware of his previous involvement with the Cervélo Test Team, but that's mostly due to my own ignorance and not much else.

Smith is the founder of the Braveheart Cycling Fund, which was launched in 2003 to support young Scottish racing cyclists.

I've always enjoyed his race commentary.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #512 on: March 29, 2015, 10:34 »
    According to press reports, he was designated that role on an interim basis for the 2014 season, but he is still listed as such on the MTN-Qhubeka site.

He got the job on a permanent basis in the off-season. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #513 on: April 21, 2015, 21:52 »
    Oh, for flip's sake. :fp

Remember the cock-up by the British embassy in Rome last year that almost stopped a number of Colombians from starting the Giro?

The *uk authorities are at it again:
    https://twitter.com/BriSmithy/status/590608290389827585
    https://twitter.com/BriSmithy/status/590612155541643265
    The #mtn roster for the Tour de Yorkshire includes Merhawi Kudus and Daniel Teklehaimanot.
    Two of the most talented African cyclists, riding for a renowned international team due to debut in the Tour de France this year. Both have very good chances of making the Tour team.

And if that weren't enough, they're on pro contracts, earning at least 25,300 € (Kudus) and 30,250 € (Daniel T), respectively, per year. But no, they're from *er Eritrea - they must be benefit scroungers.

Fetch me a torch and a pitchfork. :angry
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1838
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #514 on: April 21, 2015, 23:03 »
    It'd be even worse if Ukip had their way.
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Domestique
    • Liked: 465
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #515 on: June 03, 2015, 10:54 »
    http://www.teammtnqhubeka.com/?p=8941

mtn name their tour long list

Edvald Boasson Hagen [Norway – profile]
    Natnael Berhane [Eritrea – profile]
    Steve Cummings [Great Britain – profile]
    Tyler Farrar [USA – profile]
    Jacques Janse van Rensburg [South Africa – profile]
    Reinart Janse van Rensburg [South Africa – profile]
    Merhawi Kudus [Eritrea – profile]
    Louis Meintjes [South Africa – profile]
    Serge Pauwels [Belgium – profile]
    Youcef Reguigui [Algeria – profile]
    Daniel Teklehaimanot [Eritrea – profile]
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 377
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #516 on: June 19, 2015, 06:31 »
    http://www.teammtnqhubeka.com/?p=8941

mtn name their tour long list

Edvald Boasson Hagen [Norway – profile]
    Natnael Berhane [Eritrea – profile]
    Steve Cummings [Great Britain – profile]
    Tyler Farrar [USA – profile]
    Jacques Janse van Rensburg [South Africa – profile]
    Reinart Janse van Rensburg [South Africa – profile]
    Merhawi Kudus [Eritrea – profile]
    Louis Meintjes [South Africa – profile]
    Serge Pauwels [Belgium – profile]
    Youcef Reguigui [Algeria – profile]
    Daniel Teklehaimanot [Eritrea – profile]
    On current form and experience I see Cummings and Jacques Janse van Rensburg missing out. That team should show well IMO. No real GC rider there but all other bases covered.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:43 by 42x16ss »

lancasterke

• Domestique
    « Reply #517 on: June 19, 2015, 08:37 »
    On current form and experience I see Cummings and Jacques Janse van Rensburg missing out. That team should show well IMO. No real GC rider there but all other bases covered.

EBH, Mentjes, teklehaminot, berhane and farrar and RJVR seem very very likely to go.

Pauwels maybe for an experienced guy, i thought cummings showed something at Dauphine, but maybe not enough
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1284
    « Reply #518 on: June 19, 2015, 09:23 »
    EBH, Mentjes, teklehaminot, berhane and farrar and RJVR seem very very likely to go.

Pauwels maybe for an experienced guy, i thought cummings showed something at Dauphine, but maybe not enough
    I expect the vast experience of Cummings will outweigh marginal differences in form in the minds of the team management.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9000
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #519 on: June 19, 2015, 09:28 »
    I think Cummings has been one of MTN's top 4 or 5 performers this year. As long as he's over his knee problems and unless they think the Vuelta (with it's TT) suits him better, then he probably should be in the final nine for the Tour.

From those listed I'd send Kudus to the Vuelta, and the last one to miss out would be a bit of a lottery - Berhane done anything this year?
  • ReplyReply

• neppe

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 78
    « Reply #520 on: June 19, 2015, 11:35 »
    During ToNorway or TdFjords, MTN told the Norw. press EBH and JJvR ("the South-African RR champion") were certain for the TdF team.

EBH has said he wants RJvR to be part of the team.

• ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    « Reply #521 on: June 21, 2015, 06:17 »
    Reinhardt was a very likely inclusion IMO. He's been consistent since joining. I wasn't sure about Jacques but his form might be better than I realised. I said Cummings because I wasn't sure if he is over the knee injury. Agree that he can contribute as road captain and working for Boasson Hagen though.
  • ReplyReply

• neppe

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 78
    « Reply #522 on: June 21, 2015, 14:27 »
    Got the feeling it had more to do with him being SA champion than his form. He might have gotten early confirmation that he would be rinding TdF and been able to top his form for TdF. Just guessing. We'll see.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #523 on: June 22, 2015, 00:10 »
    Brian Smith said on Eurosport a couple of weeks ago that they had given Cummings the target of top 6 in Utrecht and to possibly take yellow on the Mur de Huy.
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    « Reply #524 on: June 22, 2015, 00:59 »
    Ambitious! I like it. I would have thought they would have a better chance with EBH though. He's done well in TDF TT's in the past.

It's going to be difficult to break into the top 5 or so with the likes of Dumoulin, Martin, Cancellara, Boom, Froome, Sagan, Spilak, Matthews etc.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #525 on: June 26, 2015, 23:02 »
    Ambitious! I like it. I would have thought they would have a better chance with EBH though. He's done well in TDF TT's in the past.

Agree, he also is a possibility in terms of scraping bonus seconds in the sprints. Honestly I think EBH green jersey seems a good objective, Sagan might not be allowed to leave AC in the mountains to grab points, at least not if AC is leading GC. EBH seems a good pick to pull a Hushovd/Sagan and get points on more stages than the rest and win it that way. That would be my main goal. EBH for green, Meintjes to try on the hilly stages, Try to get in as many breaks as possible and test Kudus for GC. Still think Berhane should have went as well.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14174
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #527 on: July 09, 2015, 18:48 »
    and someone won in Austria
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• lukascph.media

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14174
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #530 on: September 12, 2015, 16:59 »
    Tomorrow the Tour of Britain ends in London.

I've long suspected that big news regarding the future of the team (in terms of both sponsors and riders) would be announced on the back of that particular race ... let's see if anything does happen.

Press conference on Monday? If anything regarding that is announced, we'll know that the rumours are true.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 987
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    MTN Qhubeka, the last African team?
    « Reply #531 on: September 15, 2015, 04:41 »
    Well... pro tour/continental, anyway.

The early mission was African team in the Tour de France and a 50% black Africans .

The mission was diluted. Fair enough, would even say good. Then, well 5 Africans in the Tour…. About as African as the English cricket team was.

I’ve just seen that Meintjes has left the team to join Lampre.

Their new sponsor is likely to be Dimension data, a company far more global than MTN.

Each as a standalone may not mean too much, although it certainly can’t help to weaken one’s very identity, but added with the possible start of talent drain… where will they be in 5 years’ time? A standout African team or just a bog standard trade team?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:51 by Ram »

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    Re: MTN Qhubeka, the last African team?
    « Reply #532 on: September 15, 2015, 08:41 »
    I don't know ho important their identity is, sure it helped them get invites to GT's but when they have already been there does the narrative still sell. In the end what I think will happen is that it will be more of a normal trade team, but with a core of African riders, much like Lampre in that regard, they might take in some one from elsewhere, but still a strong national/continental core of riders.

I think MTN are going WT and as I see it the real problem is that the talent is not there, breaking it down I would say there are three categories.

African riders that can lead a team at WT level:
    Chris Froome
    Louis Meintjes

African riders with WT level, ie. they should be on a team even if no African team was there:
    Daryl Impey
    Daniel Teklehaimanot
    Merhawi Kudus
    Natnael Berhane
    Jacques Janse Van Rendsburg
    Reinhardt Janse Van Rendsburg
    Tsgabu Grmay
    Youcef Reguigui

African riders good enough to support a WT team, but better riders are readily available from somewhere else:
    - The back end of the team minus a few youngsters who might just be developing pieces, also a few riders on Skydive Dubai fit this bill as well plus maybe more

In the end where I think they failed is in not landing Meintjes, they thought they had agreed on something, but why had they not signed him up, it seems so obvious, I mean there is not really anybody where you would from the team perspective say, lets hold it open because if we sign him we can't afford rider X. I mean if Froome had expressed interest and they knew they would not be able to have both sure hold out with Louis, but who was they waiting for? If it was someone great like Nibali, Valverde sure, but for who Cavendish? It makes no sense, the team was stupid by not handling the contract sooner, dumb move on their part. Even if Meintjes didn't want a deal because he thought his value might increase, throw some money extra in the deal offered, against having the rights to match offers for the rest of the year, something.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #533 on: September 15, 2015, 09:01 »
    The approach seems now to be to promote Qhubeka which, having lost its novelty, the team can only now do loudly enough if it hires winners, moreso than promoting African riders.

That is a significant split but an inevitable one, I think: success must follow success. The rest is a matter of PR management and I think we are already seeing the shift in that narrative.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #534 on: September 15, 2015, 11:19 »
    The approach seems now to be to promote Qhubeka which, having lost its novelty, the team can only now do loudly enough if it hires winners, moreso than promoting African riders.

That is a significant split but an inevitable one, I think: success must follow success. The rest is a matter of PR management and I think we are already seeing the shift in that narrative.

This

but too be honest I am ok with it as long as Qhubeka is promoted and young African riders have a pathway even if diluted.

]
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #535 on: September 15, 2015, 20:16 »
    where will they be in 5 years’ time? A standout African team or just a bog standard trade team?
    They'll always be a team with a large number of African riders. But the team has become more and more of a standard trade team, only with its 'base nations' being all of Africa instead of Spain/Italy/France/Belgium etc.

In time, it'd be great if they could promote African winners. It's a long-term project, but I do hope that e.g. Merhawi Kudus or Reinardt Janse van Rensburg get more opportunities to lead the team in the future.

Yes, that shift has happened already. Riding for 5000 bikes etc. - nothing wrong with that. Niyonshuti, Reguigui etc. hopefully get paid attention as to their development nonetheless; and the story of Songezo Jim is still a great one.

I am ok with it as long as Qhubeka is promoted and young African riders have a pathway even if diluted.
    Yes and no. Yes in the sense that it's still an exciting team with a special message, and a pathway for African riders into the top echelons of the sport. No in the sense that, as more non-Africans make their way into the team, there'll be less room for African talents.

What African cycling needs at this point is not only a few riders making it to the top in the way of Meintjes, Teklehaimanot, Kudus etc. - it also (actually, even more) needs many riders to get European racing experience to later act as multiplicators in their local cycling scenes in Rwanda, Ethiopia, Algeria, Cameroon, Tanzania etc. Therefore I'd like to see e.g. the WCC Africa doing a European program with their riders, but also African (national) teams getting invited to European races (maybe with a bit of support to their travel costs if they're short of funds?[1]), so that riders, in larger numbers than now, get exposed to European racing.
     1. Moroccon or Algerian cycling surely has no financial problems[1], but many Sub-Saharan countries aren't exactly swimming in cash
     1. they do, instead, have other problems ...
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Domestique
    « Reply #536 on: September 24, 2015, 14:22 »
    reports going around that Etihad the airline is the new sponsor.

not entirely at odds with the African theme, but not exactly on script either
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #537 on: September 24, 2015, 17:17 »
    Interestingly, the team (and other African national teams) have so far flown Turkish Airlines who are also a sponsor of the Tour of Turkey.

But if Etihad come along and say "we'll sponsor Cav and his lot, and then some" they'll be happy to change their flight plans. ;)

What it would mean to the African theme ... There are big *za companies (MTN was already one of the largest, with Dimension Data even bigger), but why should e.g. De Beers, Gold Fields, Sasol or Pick 'n Pay enter a cycling sponsorship?

For the mining companies it simply doesn't make sense (although one could ask why Orica are doing it). And if Africa's biggest telecommunications provider announces an end to its team sponsorship just after having the team ride the Tour de France (after 9 years of sponsoring) I don't see other companies clambering to take over.

Dimension Data would make huge sense as they're now involved with ASO - but could it be that the 'smoke' about DD going into cycling was simply from the 'fire' of talks and arrangements with ASO (with Doug Ryder maybe having put them together in the start) than a 'fire' of team sponsorship talks?

In the end, as a cycling team you can't afford to be very picky: If a huge company wants to sponsor your team and bring in the funds needed to sign one of cycling's superstars, you're not going to say "no, thanks; you're from the UAE, not Africa".
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Domestique
    « Reply #538 on: September 25, 2015, 12:11 »
    http://www.teammtnqhubeka.com/?p=10659

team dimension data it is.
    (probably presented by Etihad or similar)

I guess that if it's failed for MTN, why would others want to sponsor it, but there are companies with business or brands that can cement their position as being reliable in a european type way while still having an african heart and soul.
    Investec or ABSA/Barclays Africa, jump out as obvious candidates

Also it's possible that MTN see it as being a successful sponsorship but see diminishing returns going forward (next year cost more and almost inevitably get less coverage than this year).
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #539 on: September 25, 2015, 16:45 »
    Also it's possible that MTN see it as being a successful sponsorship but see diminishing returns going forward (next year cost more and almost inevitably get less coverage than this year).
    I think it's more this than a 'failed' sponsorship. They didn't think it worthwhile anymore from a cost-benefit point of view.
  • ReplyReply

•