collapse

Martin318is

• Domestique
  • Liked: 163
  • Less interesting than he seems on paper
Di2/EPS on Time trial bikes?
« on: May 29, 2012, 00:01 »
Does it make any sense to put electronic shifting onto a time trial bike if it means that you have to do this with the battery?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/giro-ditalia-time-trial-tech/224821

Surely given the obsession with smoothe surfaces and hiding brake calipers etc this position will negate any benefits
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 82
    Re: Di2/EPS on Time trial bikes?
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:27 »
    just something else that can go wrong. and electric circuits always do at the exact wrong time. but mechanical stuff fails all the time, at the wrong time, so it is a wash. it is evolution of the sport. if had money for it, why not? i don't, so no worries.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 163
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:38 »
    oh dont get me wrong - if the shifting is so much better then great.

BUT

How the hell can you (the rider) justify the switch to electronic if it means having a sodding great square box attached to your bottom bracket - just after you have also spent the design money on hiding your rear brake, etc...
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 82
    « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 00:28 »
    oh dont get me wrong - if the shifting is so much better then great.

BUT

How the hell can you (the rider) justify the switch to electronic if it means having a sodding great square box attached to your bottom bracket - just after you have also spent the design money on hiding your rear brake, etc...

that one is hard to figure... motor sports(at the upper levels) would not jerry rig stuff like that. smaller budgets when all is said and done.
  • ReplyReply

• youngblood

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:48 »
    Actually, I think electronic on TT/tri makes far more sense than road.
      Person goes into a sharp turn with hands on base bars, he can come out of the turn shifting gears from the brake position instead of moving back up to bar ends. Save time and safer. I was able to sell two bikes merely because of this feature.
      They were both triathletes so bike handling skill not the best, BUT, it worked for them and they are very satisfied customers.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:50 »
    Think it depends on the course, very technical courses I can see it making sense, or mountain time trials where you want a nice smooth run through the gears.

Flat courses, hell, dont know why they dont just use fixies.
  • ReplyReply

• Antisrta

• Il Capo-Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    • Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 4
    • Follower of Ned Ludd
      • Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 15:34 »
    Does it make any sense to put electronic shifting onto a time trial bike if it means that you have to do this with the battery?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/giro-ditalia-time-trial-tech/224821

Surely given the obsession with smoothe surfaces and hiding brake calipers etc this position will negate any benefits

Only advantage to electronic is having shifters on the cowhorns/brakes and the aero handlebars.

Battery 'drag' is lost in the noise tho-
  • ReplyReply
  • Qui si Parla Campagnolo

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 18:44 »
    Actually, I think electronic on TT/tri makes far more sense than road.
      Person goes into a sharp turn with hands on base bars, he can come out of the turn shifting gears from the brake position instead of moving back up to bar ends. Save time and safer. I was able to sell two bikes merely because of this feature.
      They were both triathletes so bike handling skill not the best, BUT, it worked for them and they are very satisfied customers.
    I can not understand, what do you mean by shifting gears from brake position? Aren t Di2 shifting levers on end of base bars, or I am missing something here as usual?
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 20:11 »
    Yep ... and Yep ... and Yep. ;D

Can't find anything on Shimano's site, so have to post this link instead ... http://www.trisports.com/shimano-di2-tt-brake-shift-lever-set----.html

Unsure about the originally argued advantage though ... For a start, TT/tri bikes handle so badly (compared to an equivalent roadie) that you're never getting a corner that is that tight - and if you did, would you really wanting to be shifting under load as you're apexing/exiting a really sharp corner? And most tri courses have about as many "corners" as a north american highway ...    :-\
    Cool :-*, did not have idea about that invention, thanks!
  • ReplyReply

• youngblood

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 02:52 »
    I can not understand, what do you mean by shifting gears from brake position? Aren t Di2 shifting levers on end of base bars, or I am missing something here as usual?

Thr brake levers are at the end of the base bars, shifter is inside part of the brake lever. OK
  • ReplyReply

•