collapse

Leadbelly

• World Champion
  • Liked: 9528
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling
« Reply #510 on: February 17, 2020, 19:41 »
https://twitter.com/YallaIsraelSUN/status/1229475115429191687

The Facebook report ends with the question - What do YOU think of ISN first month?

If they were still PCT I would say that they've had a fairly decent start to the season, but like it or not, they are WT now and must be judged by WT standards. Therefore I would say the team has had a variable start to the year, but leaning more towards the negative end of the spectrum.

Martin, Barbier (San Juan), Greipel (TDU), Goldstein and Einhorn are the obvious highlights. Cousin Dan especially standing out. It's a rare occurrence for the Geeeeeks to be that visible in big races against the top names, and in his first race of the season as well. Looking forward to see how he gets on in the Algarve (I might not tune in for the TT though).

Outside of those guys, it's been pretty disappointing. The second rank of riders have had chances (and will have more chances with Greipel and Hermans out for months) and nobody has shown good early form. Brandle did pretty well the other day, but Provence was a virtual write-off. Raim struggled to beat any of the other WT sprinters at the Herald Sun. Sprint train fail at Almeria at the weekend etc etc.

I don't like that stat "29 (!) top 10 in 40 starts". Tbh nobody cares about top-tens. A more telling stat would be the UCI rankings. Handily enough this year they aren't doing a rolling count, but are scoring it from zero.

https://www.uci.org/road/rankings

No mind bending calculations needed. You can see I-SUN down in 27th place. Despite all their racing, they're the bottom WT team. Behind 3 (!) CT teams.

Having said all that of course, it is only the 17th Feb. At the end of the year, no one is going to remember how the team got on in San Juan or Provence. The upcoming two months of classics will be the real thing. Politt better not fall off his bike any time soon - there's a lot of weight on his broad shoulders.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [Today at 15:27]

Re: Roadbooks by Wieno
    [Today at 15:03]

Re: Tour de France 2022 - General Discussion by Wieno
    [Today at 15:02]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [June 25, 2022, 16:09]

Re: Roadbooks by RDuke123