collapse

t-72

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3976
Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling
« Reply #540 on: July 09, 2020, 22:19 »
I don´t think any team has unlimited money, so I believe that after signing Froome (we don´t know the full package yet but it is rumoured 5 million € per year for his salary alone) even the startup nation will count their shekels. Remembering that when Nibali went to Bahrain, he brought so many riders with him that the managers only had a few places on the team left to fill, I expect there to be more riders than just Froome with the Froome deal.

I think Porte and Tao Geoghegan Hart are almost safe bets. OK, Porte may retire, but if not, I think they work well together and that´s not just in racing, but in training too, based in the same geographical area and with a very large overlap in terms of skills. The main difference is that Froome is now definitively the more robust rider of the two, better in the peloton and steadily improving on tough terrain and technically challenging descents. This is of limited importance for the training part.

Moscon´s diplomacy-skills-challenged character is a poor match with the soft spoken and stubborn Froome. I don´t think he´s on the wishlist. Even if they get along (doubt it) Moscon isn´t the climber required for the lieutenant job, and if Politt is in, no other Kiryenka-substitute is required.

Kenny Elissonde is a candidate?  He did the job perfectly on one occasion, and if there is that one occasion that qualifies, the Finestre stage of the 2018 Giro is probably it. I tried to find out if he is south of France- based but couldn’t figure it out.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Circuit franco-belge by Leadbelly
    [August 10, 2022, 19:24]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [August 10, 2022, 13:57]

Circuit franco-belge by Echoes
    [August 10, 2022, 12:56]

Re: Roadbooks by FastJack
    [August 09, 2022, 23:45]

Re: Roadbooks by polenta