collapse

Leadbelly

• World Champion
  • Liked: 9530
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling
« Reply #660 on: August 19, 2021, 18:16 »
Not a great start to the Vuelta.

They seem determined not to give Cimolai a chance. Fair enough, let Einhorn have a go on stage 2, but then on stage 4, which looked on paper very good for the Italian, they went with Vanmarcke instead.

The second disappointment is that they could not get anyone in the break for either of the two break winning stages so far. To be fair Piccoli, Berwick and Niv aren't built to get in breaks on the flat, but neither are some of the guys from other teams who did manage it. Tomorrow's climb fest might prove a bit easier in that respect.

---------------------------------

Some transfer out news/rumours this week.

Cimolai and Renard are both heading to Cofidis and Hofstetter is rumoured to Arkea.

I'm disappointed that each are leaving to varying degrees. Renard especially is just starting to bloom with some nice performances. Hofstetter had his place in semi-classics and you could rely on him for top 5-10 with minimal help in most sprints.

Cimolai was a bit of an enigma. He always seemed to do great lead-outs when in the Italian national jersey, but I can't remember too many good ones in the I-SUN one. Maybe he never got the chance to build a rapport with the designated sprinter. I would have paired him with Barbier for 90% of their races (Cimo leads out on flat days and then has his own opportunity on slightly hillier days), but that didn't seem to happen.

------------------------------------

Transfers In?

Fuglsang is the only rumour I have seen recently.

I was thinking Sciotti might like the team to keep up it's quota of Italian riders. Nizzolo and Colbrelli immediately jump out as names to fill the void left by the transfers out. I'd love Sonny, but although he was linked with Astana much earlier in the year, why would he leave Bahrain when things are going so well there. Nizzolo would appear much more available.

Tbh it's not too easy to find realistic targets who would bring something to the team (with the emphasis on realistic - though a big enough salary can make anything possible). Maybe Van den Berg (going well in l'Avenir) who Groupama don't seem to want or Livyns (friendly with Vanmarcke).
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Sibiu Cycling Tour 2022 by Leadbelly
    [June 28, 2022, 19:05]

Re: Roadbooks by alex592
    [June 28, 2022, 18:43]

Re: Roadbooks by Wieno
    [June 28, 2022, 06:22]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [June 27, 2022, 15:27]

Re: Roadbooks by Wieno