collapse

Leadbelly

• World Champion
  • Liked: 9317
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling
« Reply #630 on: March 14, 2021, 11:04 »
https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1371050540457721857

They already have an invite to Paris-Roubaix U23. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 563
    « Reply #631 on: March 23, 2021, 10:10 »
    So Froome...

Not sure when we can start to officially call his ISUN tenure a disaster? 

LB - do you see any grounds for optimism in any of the performances to date?  Do you buy the 'all part of a bigger plan for TDF domination' / recovery on track rhetoric?

Any thoughts on next steps in the rehabilitation or potential growing acceptance that not just the best; but even an acceptable level of performance for a world tour rider is unfortunately for CF now firmly in the past (and I do have sympathy for the man in his current plight)?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #632 on: March 23, 2021, 20:09 »
    His boat has long sailed as regards being a GT contender. I think everybody can see that. There was a smidgen of hope that he could get back to being a top-ten rider, but the longer the rehab has gone on with very little sign of improvement, the smaller that very small chance has got. Maybe the next diminishing target will be getting good enough to win a stage from a break. Not at the Tour, but why not the Vuelta? He's always enjoyed racing there and breaks do often succeed there.

Unless of course this is all a sham, a massive yo-yo if you will, so massive it starts months before the race beings. :D
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3902
    « Reply #633 on: March 23, 2021, 22:41 »
    So Froome...

Not sure when we can start to officially call his ISUN tenure a disaster? 

One way to look at it, he is a professional rider and that deal seems like it is just the opposite of a disaster from a profesional perspective. if they paid a little bit more even I might consider getting back on the bike and make my best efforts for a cople of years. I just barely know how to pedal, but that is not the point - Froome is also better at negotiating a deal than I am, it appears. However, none of us know the terms and conditions,  so it is based on hearsay that he is so extremely well paid.

As I wrote in another thread on the forum I accidentally came across one of his houses or at least places where he use to stay, actually just a few weeks before the Dauphine disaster - and I would guess that even without payments from ISUN he could probably manage just fine while reskilling to something more useful than pro bike rider. Economy isn't the reason he keeps on doing what he is doing.

I think he does it because he likes riding a bike and loves to compete, and it seems like he is particularly fond of proving people that say he can't do this, can't do that wrong -  by adding the things he supposedly can't do to his list of skills the following year. The Finestre solo attack was just the last (so far) on the list of
    things people including myself has been convinced he would never try, let alone succeed with it, when trying to do it.
    I think he is really trying to get back as a top contender despite what he has been through, if for no other reason then because the lot of us here totally agree it's got to be damned impossible!

He doesn't have a chance  ;)

• ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    « Reply #634 on: March 24, 2021, 08:07 »
    I meant disaster for the team - I think it is something of a miracle for CF - being paid TDF winner standard pay - and delivering grupetto performances!  But for ISUN - regardless of the wealth of the backers - it must be hugely irritating i) to see so much salary fund being diverted to a lost cause and ii) Wondering who else might be filling those cleats and doing a far better job.

So put it another way - can you imagine any scenario that doesn't involve ISUN looking for a financial solution to end this thing well before TDU 2022???
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #635 on: April 03, 2021, 11:41 »
    https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1377542632616955905

Glad to see they're not putting all their eggs in the Tour basket. :cool

#ica

Devo Team Alert!

First race of the season for the now fully U23 team and who needs Paris-Nice when you can have Paris-Troyes instead.

It didn't end up going very well. Plamondon (riding with the main squad today) was part of the day's break which went to the end (+ a few who bridged right at the death), but he got dropped. The rest all finished well down or were DNF.

Their season continues tomorrow and Monday with a couple of U23 events in Italy - Trofeo Piva and the Giro del Belvedere.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #636 on: April 26, 2021, 13:14 »
    Their season continues tomorrow and Monday with a couple of U23 events in Italy - Trofeo Piva and the Giro del Belvedere.

No wins or anything yet from the kids, but in these two events and another two Italian one day races more recently, there have been promising performances.

Trofeo Piva - Mackellar was the last surviving rider from the break and won the KoM. Hollyman was part of the chasing grp behind runaway winner Ayuso. Goldstein was active in the final also.

Giro del Belvedere - Another Ayuso victory. Goldstein again and Boucek were in the mix towards the end.

GP Industria & Commercio - Boucek finished in the same time as Ayuso, but unfortunately that was in a grp 20s down on the winner.

Gran Premio della Liberazione - A technical urban circuit with almost no flat according to Ben Moshe. He finished 6th, Jones in 9th and Goldstein was in one of the breaks.

Not sure if there is anything planned for the team before the Alpes Isère Tour in May, but the riders themselves could be busy with the main team. I'd be surprised if they weren't in the majority in Rwanda and some might even make an appearance in Hongrie.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #637 on: April 28, 2021, 19:23 »
    https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1387411542694576130

Martin
    Bevin
    Brandle
    Cimolai
    De Marchi
    Dowsett
    Neilands
    Niv

A rather different looking team from what had been talked about earlier in the year. Out go Greipel and co. and in comes some more support for Cousin Dan.

Could they have parachuted in another sprinter in place of the German? Barbier is probably the only one with the top speed, but he's not shown much in terms of results this year and has been spending time with his newborn child. Hofstetter I'd keep for the Tour where he'd probably grab a few top-tens. Einhorn has been injured.

So yeah, this could be the right choice. Just don't be the chumps chasing the break down for a 6th place sprint from Cimolai. Get in the break instead.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7922
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #638 on: April 30, 2021, 07:49 »
    So yeah, this could be the right choice. Just don't be the chumps chasing the break down for a 6th place sprint from Cimolai. Get in the break instead.
    Ideally with Cimolai!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14505
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #639 on: May 05, 2021, 07:54 »
    talking about ITTs... the new Factor bike isn't available yet, but apparently supposed to be a major improvement, according to Brändle in the Vorarlberger Zeitung today:

"10th place for Matthias Brändle in the UAE Tour time trial. The 32 year-old from Hohenemster only lost 38 seconds to Filippo Ganna on the 12 km course. 'Unfortunately the new time trial bike isn't ready yet, otherwise it could be 1.7 kph quicker. But I'm satisfied, the shape is good'."

"1.7 kph quicker" would move him up to 2nd

the new bike is still not ready, according to an article in Austrian media today. "For Brändle, already the first day could have resulted in a big moment. A short ITT is the absolute specialty of the former world record holder. "My new bike didn't get ready yet, the old one is just too slow", he sighs. But Brändle wants to chase success as an escapee: "In the final week two stages are suited to me".'

Bevin had some decent results recently, though, so maybe it's also a bit of a personal thing.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #640 on: May 05, 2021, 19:49 »
    It's like a poorly performing F1 team. This year's car is always nearly, but not quite, ready and they have to use last year's model instead. No doubt they'll have it ready for 2022.

Despite all that of course, I'd be disappointed if the team don't come away with a stage win at the Giro. Martin, De Marchi and Bevin give some good options.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #641 on: May 06, 2021, 07:53 »
    It's like a poorly performing F1 team. This year's car is always nearly, but not quite, ready and they have to use last year's model instead. No doubt they'll have it ready for 2022.

maybe even for the "next race", the final time trial of the Giro, according to another article about Brändle today:

The new time trial bike Brändle hoped for did not get ready on time due to delivery difficulties experienced by a raw material supplier. “So I have no chance,” he says, in regards the time trial at the start on May 8th. Otherwise the nine kilometers street circuit would be tailormade for him. What remains is the hope of the final time trial on May 30th over 29.4 km with the finish in Milan. “It should work out until then,” Brändle says
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #642 on: May 11, 2021, 21:17 »
    There was some initial disappointment from me with yesterday's second place and some head scratching about why Bevin didn't help in the chase, but did any of us really expect Cimolai to beat Sagan/Viviani/Gaviria in a sprint? It was only a few days ago I was typing "don't be the chumps chasing the break down for a 6th place sprint from Cimolai". Now it wasn't a normal sprint day, but I can't really call the team out for doing exactly what I asked. Well, half of what I asked, I did say get in the break.

Stage 15 is the only other similar stage as far as I can see. Will we see different tactics then?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #643 on: May 16, 2021, 07:13 »
    Stage 15 is the only other similar stage as far as I can see. Will we see different tactics then?

Cimo seems to plan to stay around until then, at least, and sees it as a goal: "I don't have a team to support me, so I can't do much in pure speed stages. We'll have to wait for the Giro to go on, when the sprinters will be tired. [...] the dream now would be [to win] the Grado-Gorizia stage, which is run in Friuli. But I'm afraid that the hilly design may favor a breakaway."

https://bici.pro/giro-italia/cimolai-a-meta-del-guado-vincere-o-aiutare/

He is on his contract year, and seems to need that stage win to secure a bigger deal. "I'm at an age where you have to choose for the best, the same reason why I'm here [in the Giro] and not at home with my partner [awaiting our first child]." In general, he'd like to stay with the team though, even in another role: "I have always thought to be fast - he says - but if I had to place side by side to a strong sprinter as Viviani or Nizzolo, I would not have problems to help them. I've already proven to be a great last man. An intelligent rider has to understand his role and I would probably perform better next to a top sprinter. [...] It would be nice if the strong sprinter came here. Coming to this team was my best choice."
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #644 on: May 16, 2021, 09:45 »
    any idea why Dan Martin has a different jersey, btw? Already noticed that during the stage

• ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3544
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #645 on: May 16, 2021, 10:33 »
    Different shorts and socks too: is he the goalkeeper?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #646 on: May 16, 2021, 21:07 »
    any idea why Dan Martin has a different jersey, btw? Already noticed that during the stage

Hmm.
    Dowsett (as well as "no. 4" and "no. 5") is wearing a onesie skinsuit, Martin isn't. But the remaining riders also look to be wearing a shorts + jersey combo, so it can't really be that. :S
  • ReplyReply

• Joan

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 12
    « Reply #647 on: May 17, 2021, 11:25 »
    I heard it's a prototype of lightweight race clothing saving 180 grams to standard summer jersey/bibshorts  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    « Reply #648 on: May 17, 2021, 16:19 »
    yes whatever it is it looks awful in not matching and come on guys 3 different sock choices among 7 of you....
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #649 on: May 26, 2021, 07:23 »
    From Brändle's Giro diary today:

He wanted to attack and go for the stage win last Sunday (when Campenaerts won), but wasn't allowed to, as he "had to stay with Dan Martin in case of potential echelons" (:S) - so he'll try tomorrow instead, if he is allowed to, while Dan Martin (obviously) eyes the stages today and on Friday. The new time trial bike hasn't arrived yet.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #650 on: May 26, 2021, 08:58 »
    With half of the sixteen stages going to the break it has been quite disappointing/frustrating that they haven't managed to nab one and it's not like the wins are all going to big names. You'd think Neilands/De Marchi/Bevin would have had a chance against Taco/Lafay/Campenaerts.

Obviously the various DNFs have stymied then quite a bit, but hopefully since Dan lost time on Monday (nothing wrong with that, he rolled the dice and came up short) the team will be all in for breaks in the final few days.

---------------------------------

Not sure if there is anything planned for the team before the Alpes Isère Tour in May, but the riders themselves could be busy with the main team. I'd be surprised if they weren't in the majority in Rwanda and some might even make an appearance in Hongrie.

They found the Alpes Isere Tour a tougher cookie than the Italian races. In all abut one stage (Jones came third from the break) they struggled to make an impression. Not sure why. Better opposition? Stage race vs One Day? Weather? Different racing style in different countries?

Not a lot to write home about re: Rwanda and Hongrie. Goldstein and Lahav did what they could for Piccoli, but they came up a little short against the French PCT teams.

Some better things in Mallorca though as Boucek and Hollyman did okay on a couple of the hilly days.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #651 on: May 29, 2021, 18:16 »
    https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1398575387576258563

New bike must be ready then. Brandle is available at 251. :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #652 on: May 29, 2021, 20:13 »
    Not necessarily, it only says it is the last time they use it this Giro: doesn't even exclude using it in Giro 2022.

About the most underwhelming press release ever "We will use time trial bikes in the time trial"
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #653 on: May 30, 2021, 11:50 »
    yeah, I guess it's more supposed to be a general tweet, saying that they (not too surprisingly) are going to use time trial bikes today instead of the usual road bike. But Brändle got a new one indeed, as he wrote yesterday:

(gt) Another tough mountain stage, close to home, then the final time trial awaits Matthias Brändle at the Giro d‘Italia. And the 31-year-old will tackle this with a new racing bike. Just yesterday, the last parts were treated in Vorarlberg by the carbon specialist Marcel Summer in Dornbirn and sent to Italy. It was the posture for the aerobar. The time trial machine will be assembled in Milan, where Brändle will see it for the first time.

"My new time trial machine is arriving piece by piece. 90 percent have already been manufactured, currently Marcel Summer from CHAMPN. CLUB is still taking care of the last adapter plate for the handlebars. On my part, I would like to say a big thank you to the 'Ländle' for that, especially as there will be a somewhat "intimate kind of handover" by them at the San Bernardino Pass on Saturday. How it's going to work is difficult to predict. As an optimist, I say: It will run like hell ... "

"The Giro 2021 went great for our team despite a couple of falls. Of course, I want to ensure a perfect finish on Sunday. I'm not sure how far it can go, but one thing is certain: I'll give everything for it. "

Hard to believe it's really worth 2s per km as he suggested earlier on, but who knows...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #654 on: May 30, 2021, 23:07 »
    Hard to believe it's really worth 2s per km as he suggested earlier on, but who knows...
    In the end, he finished 16th, 1:23 minutes (or 83 seconds) down on Ganna. That's 2.739 seconds lost per kilometre.

In the opening ITT of 8.6 km he finished 22 seconds behind, that was 2.558 seconds lost per kilometre.

And Ganna had a bike change today which lost him ~20 seconds.

My conclusion? Ganna is better than Brändle at recovering three weeks into a Grand Tour. :P
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #655 on: May 31, 2021, 07:36 »
    he also had some technical problems, he said, but overall a pretty disappointing result, yeah. Worse than normally

"In advance, I obviously had hoped for more than 16th place, but considering that I first saw the bike only 10 hours before, I can't be too dissatisfied. Technical problems weren't expected, but also didn't come as that much of a surprise. We still wanted to give it a try. But after 5k the steering stopped working properly, which obviously had implications on my ride, as it wasn't possible to take corners on the ideal line anymore. I hope we'll be able to solve those problems quickly. Then the next time trial victory shouldn't be far away."
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #656 on: May 31, 2021, 08:28 »
    "[...]I first saw the bike only 10 hours before [...]"
    Given how the year (and especially the cycling season) is almost halfway done, isn't it, well, less-than-ideal that they only get their TT bikes now?

Or did I misunderstand something, and this is a prototype that's currently in development for sale in 2023?
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #657 on: May 31, 2021, 09:50 »
    he also had some technical problems, he said, but overall a pretty disappointing result, yeah. Worse than normally

"In advance, I obviously had hoped for more than 16th place, but considering that I first saw the bike only 10 hours before, I can't be too dissatisfied. Technical problems weren't expected, but also didn't come as that much of a surprise. We still wanted to give it a try. But after 5k the steering stopped working properly, which obviously had implications on my ride, as it wasn't possible to take corners on the ideal line anymore. I hope we'll be able to solve those problems quickly. Then the next time trial victory shouldn't be far away."
    Given that a substantial part of his job is to promote the bike manufacturers, then saying that they struggle to meet deadlines and that their product is unreliable is not the best way of doing that.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #658 on: May 31, 2021, 11:08 »
    Given how the year (and especially the cycling season) is almost halfway done, isn't it, well, less-than-ideal that they only get their TT bikes now?

Or did I misunderstand something, and this is a prototype that's currently in development for sale in 2023?

it's just a prototype of a new bike, yeah. Brändle has complained about the old one not being competitive basically since they switched to Factor, and also Dowsett used different (unbranded) bikes during the international competitions for that reason. This new bike was supposed to be 2s per km quicker than the old one, that's why it was particularly interesting to see how it goes.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #659 on: June 12, 2021, 19:26 »
    https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1403743899818938376

A lot of question marks over form and injuries. It's quite easy to go through the team and cross a lot of names out.

For me the only three definite choices are Woods, Martin and Goldstein.

Now do you go with a Greipel train or not? It's tempting especially if Sam Bennett doesn't ride, but I'm leaning more towards no train. So maybe just Hofstetter as the team's sprinter with MWS to help him out. Bevin could double up as an alternative.

That leaves three spots for helpers - Neilands, Hollenstein and Hermans.

No Froome obviously - better to send him to the Vuelta imo.

Naturally the real team will look very different. :lol
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [November 24, 2021, 10:55]