collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 14273
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling
« Reply #660 on: June 12, 2021, 22:39 »
I'd say Greipel deserves a final shot at the Tour after his strong comeback this year, but yeah... he'd probably need Zabel & Würtz at his side at least. Don't think him and Hofstetter really fit together - but he obviously has the bonus of being French, and he had a decent Tour last year. Difficult decision indeed. Impey needs a spot as well, I guess...
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9097
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #661 on: June 13, 2021, 10:49 »
    Impey crashed hard unfortunately on the final stage of Ruta del Sol. I can't remember what the injury report was, but it's unlikely he'll be available for selection. Otherwise of course he would be a gimme for the team

Greipel has got those wins recently. His last one was with an impressive looking burst of speed. However the opposition he beat were people having a really bad 2021 - Kristoff, Pedersen and Hodeg. It's a tough one. Even with a decent train, can you see him doing well in chaotic sprints against Nizzolo, WVA, MVDP (or one one of his back-ups), Ewan, Sagan, Demare and somebody from Deceuninck. It's a tough imagine.

Mind you it's a tough imagine to see Woods doing better than a top-ten in the GC with or without lots of helpers.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7854
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #662 on: June 14, 2021, 17:47 »
    Confirmation that Woods will lead the Tour team:
    https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1404449847894237187
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #663 on: June 18, 2021, 11:57 »
    seems like he'll end up with basically no support at all, though. Woods, Froome, Martin, Hollenstein, Boivin, Greipel, Zabel are confirmed now, and in all likelihood the final rider will be one of the Israelis
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #664 on: June 18, 2021, 20:09 »
    Goldstein was announced a day or two ago. So this is the eight:

Would have liked to have seen Neilands in there as he could have helped Greipel and Woods, but maybe he just isn't ready.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #665 on: June 19, 2021, 19:39 »
     :lol

https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1406167840579858433

On closer inspection it's maybe not too much of a surprise. Neither Einhorn or Sagiv have raced much this year and obviously need some miles in their legs and Niv, who tried to go solo, just isn't the type of racer you need for this course.

Chapeau Vlad! :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3480
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #666 on: June 19, 2021, 20:29 »
    Is there any other cycling team in the world that would consider to necessary to mention the religion/ethnicity of their escapee rider?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #667 on: June 20, 2021, 18:15 »
    They do like to mention it, but tbh I had never heard of them before his signing for the team, so that has led me (and maybe others?) to wiki them etc and find out a little about them. Quite a large diaspora in Venezuela of all places.

It's worth noting that since they are now U23, this year will be the last for Ben Moshe and Abu Fares.

SAF won't have done his chances any harm with his second yesterday. He also did pretty well in the recent Volta a Castello. Ben Moshe has had more racing and chances with the main team, but hasn't done much to show he's worthy of a spot next year.

-----------------

We've had runners, rowers and ski jumpers switching to cycling. How about a professional dancer?

https://www.facebook.com/IsraelCyclingAcademy/posts/3410750952361772

This is a sports story that can not be disliked: a professional dancer who studied ballet and works for a living in a cafe - managed to astonish professional riders and become the Israeli champion on the road and now hopes to get a professional contract.

Please get to know: the new Israeli champion Vlad Logionov.

I understand that everyone is a bit shocked but the truth is that I came to the race with a plan to surprise them and win. I knew that Startup Nation Quartet would tactically guard each other and not cooperate - and I could take advantage of that. And that's exactly what happened. '

In this respect he is right. The balance of terror between the four professionals of Israel Start but Nation played right into his hands.

'I knew there was no way I was going to stay with them until the end. I had no chance, 'said Logionov. "I had to run away from them." That's exactly what he did. In the end, he waged a fight against the young Sanad Abu Fares - and won the sprint.

"I have immense respect for the start-up professionals," Logionov said. 'But I took advantage of the rivalry to my advantage. Now my dream is to try to get a professional contract myself. '
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3775
    « Reply #668 on: June 20, 2021, 22:22 »
    Israel start-up nation #israel has had really bad luck with their stage race hopefuls, or if you can call Chris Froome hopeful anymore it is hard to tell, but at least they were hopeful for him when they signed him. His pre-race crash in the Dauphine 2 years ago now was a real disaster. Less well known is the story of Carl Fredrik Hagen, who might have had a bright year with more opportunities if not for his crash while training this winter. I only recently, while watching the nationals here in Norway, learned more about how bad it was. Basically he dislocated his shoulder (It was somewhere down on his chest, he said) but more likely, without details being provided, a lot of soft tissue damage must have come with it. Status is, he has only recently been able to grab the handlebars with his arms and maybe he is cycling just a little bit now. It is still going to be a long way back, unfortunately. I haven't bothered checking his contract status but if he is on a 1-year deal I doubt he'll ever race for the ISN team.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #669 on: June 25, 2021, 07:55 »
    From a Ben Hermans interview in Het Belang von Limburg today (after winning Giro dell'Appennino yesterday):

"I had already decided in December not to do a Grand Tour this year. Instead I try to enjoy myself, and fight for the win in smaller (stage) races. And I sticked to that decision. Winning in Lugano next Sunday will be more difficult, though. It's constantly up and down, with shorter hills that in the Giro dell'Appennino. So that doesn't suit me too well. However, there's no lack of motivation of course. From July 14 to 18 I will do the Giro di Sardegna then, after which I'll head to an altitude camp in Livigno to prepare for the block of racing afterwards, starting with the Tour de Pologne, till Tour of Britain in September."
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 556
    « Reply #670 on: June 25, 2021, 13:30 »
    LB -odds strongly against Froome making it to Paris?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #671 on: June 25, 2021, 19:14 »
    If he doesn't crash or get ill, I don't see why he won't make it to Paris. Top-50 75 is a possibility. :-x

Anyway he needs the racing and we saw at the Vuelta last year that he did improve as the race went on. Not enough to be a game-changer for Carapaz, but something like that in the last week is the most that can be hoped for here.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #672 on: July 16, 2021, 10:11 »
    https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1415945572469690369

In other news the devo team start the second half of their season today at the Trofeu Joaquim Agostinho.

I would have hoped for a few more race days for the riders by now. The Baby Giro invite didn't materialize, they're not at Aosta which also starts today and there's no place for the Israeli National team at l'Avenir. Training camps are all very good, but they need to be racing the other U23 teams on a more regular basis.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #673 on: July 17, 2021, 18:27 »
    In other news the devo team start the second half of their season today at the Trofeu Joaquim Agostinho.

Holy smokes! They won a stage.

https://twitter.com/helenadias_/status/1416432333616467970

Helena Dias is as surprised as I am. Things are going well in Italy too, which makes up somewhat for what's been going on (or not been going on) in France.

---------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1416352042394791936

There are rumours of Cimolai moving on, will Hofstetter be happy to stay after his TdF snub and now we know Andre is retiring a year early. The team could be left with a pared down sprint dept in 2022 (about time I hear everybody say).

Barbier, Jones and Einhorn would be very weak though. There are plenty of faster guys for reduced sprints (Bevin, Impey, MWS or even Vanmarcke), but I think somebody else would have to come in to take a bit of the strain. Answers on a postcard please.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #674 on: July 18, 2021, 07:10 »
    The team could be left with a pared down sprint dept in 2022 (about time I hear everybody say).

Viviani is out of contract at #cofidis, and the team management may want to let him go after realising it was not (only) Viviani that won all those sprints at Quick Step, but just as much (if not more so) the lead-out train. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #675 on: July 18, 2021, 21:59 »

Viviani is out of contract at #cofidis, and the team management may want to let him go after realising it was not (only) Viviani that won all those sprints at Quick Step, but just as much (if not more so) the lead-out train. ;)

Thankfully that boat looks to have sailed as he's been heavily linked with Eolo. Somebody who might still be wanting to break the TdF stage wins record would also be a very bad idea I feel. Adams would probably love it though.

I had been thinking that Ewan could be a target for the year after, so they might just end up sticking with what they have in the sprint dept for next season or at most picking up an older stop-gap.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #676 on: July 18, 2021, 23:55 »
    Somebody who might still be wanting to break the TdF stage wins record would also be a very bad idea I feel. Adams would probably love it though.
    That would be absolute :fp territory.
    Has #israel ever had a working lead-out train to speak of? I can't remember it ever happening - at best, they had 2-4 sprinters in the same race who might or might not have found each other in the final.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [July 29, 2021, 10:34]

[July 29, 2021, 09:55]

[July 29, 2021, 09:44]

[July 29, 2021, 09:34]