collapse

Leadbelly

• World Champion
  • Liked: 9317
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling
« Reply #690 on: September 07, 2021, 18:48 »
Any sign that they were using the new bikes today? Tbh only losing 43s to Dennis and co when you have to carry Woods, Martin and Hollyman is pretty good going.

-------------------------

Dowsett had quite a funny instagram post yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTfPMGQtBW-/

Was just asked by one of our staff members here “how is the kid doing?”

I replied, “great, we can clap hands now”

This was followed by an awkward silence

“You meant Mason didn’t you?”

“Yeah”

@masonhollyman_ being our youngster here stepping up from the team’s development team, who can also clap hands and is doing just fine in the race
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #691 on: September 09, 2021, 08:10 »
    https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1433915204463566852

This does open up a GC/climber spot in the team of course, and after a really poor performance in August generally which has seen the team's opponents in the 2023 WT race catch right back up (I'll update the thread soon), they could do with bolstering the point scoring potential of the team next year.

It reeks of the already rumoured Fuglsang, or maybe even Thomas. The new bike might sway him if he's a target. Mind you he crashes more than Woods/Martin.

---------------

They were using the new bike at the TTT btw according to Hollenstein.

Dowsett said he didn't have a great performance himself and Greipel had a mech (?), so taking those into account plus the team composition, then just losing the 43s is great.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #692 on: September 10, 2021, 16:42 »
    The devo riders have been in action recently and it's some different names that have been getting results.

Over in the Flanders Tomorrow Tour it was Riley Pickrell who gained the plaudits mainly. On stage 1 he "won" the sprint in the bunch behind the successful break and then on stage 2 he finished second, ahead of the Van Dijke twins and only behind Wes Krul of SEG.

Quote from: Pickrell
    I threw too early, but Wessel Krul only passed me in the last ten meters. The difference is not great. We haven't done a lot of sprints this season. We did a lot of hilly races. It's only my third sprint of the season. It is encouraging for the future.

That future will hopefully include the Tour de Bretagne to which the team has got an invite.

Oded Kogut also got a chance to sprint in the final half stage of the race and he nabbed a fifth place finish. He along with his Israeli team mates are currently competing in the non-UCI Volta a Valencia (just as Israel though, not as ICA). He had the intermediate sprints jersey after stage 1, but the other stages are more hilly/mountainous I believe.

---------------------------

Any transfer targets for the devo team?

Parisella is the very obvious one, but Rally (where he's a stagiaire) and Groupama Devo are both interested.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7922
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #694 on: September 12, 2021, 18:09 »
    I hope they make his #champca jersey like the regular #israel kit, with red replacing blue and a big maple leaf instead of the Star of David. :angel
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #695 on: September 12, 2021, 19:57 »
    Not really room though for a "big" maple leaf in that corner of the chest with the current design.

This was the old one. I'm sure they can do something a bit more classy than that now.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #696 on: September 13, 2021, 17:07 »
    Not really room though for a "big" maple leaf in that corner of the chest with the current design.
    Here's a quick-and-dirty visualisation of my idea:
    Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 563
    « Reply #697 on: September 13, 2021, 17:33 »
    So Froome riding under another flag of convenience...   :lol

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #698 on: September 13, 2021, 18:19 »
    Ah okay, I thought you were talking about the star at the top of the shirt.

Imo it doesn't work. If it's in the lower/middle section, it needs to be central....or how about four of them. One front middle, one back middle and then one left side and one right side.

Something like...

....or is that too much?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #699 on: September 14, 2021, 07:57 »
    Imo it doesn't work. If it's in the lower/middle section, it needs to be central....or how about four of them. One front middle, one back middle and then one left side and one right side.
    Four maple leaves are too much. It should be only one (well, two, one front, one back).
    But yes, it can easily be in the middle instead of replacing the star.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Domestique
    • Liked: 563
    « Reply #700 on: September 14, 2021, 08:38 »
    yep starting to look like a jar of syrup with four...
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #701 on: September 14, 2021, 18:18 »
    https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1437702664377143298

:)

Poels has been linked with a move. Finally some more rumours.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #702 on: September 18, 2021, 07:49 »
    Interesting stuff from a Verbrugghe chat with Direct Velo about the devo team.

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/90870/la-conti-israel-cycling-academy-davantage-en-belgique-en-2022

Next season, the project will undergo a complete overhaul which will have consequences for the WorldTeam whose numbers will drop from 32 to 27-28 riders.

No more recruiting experienced runners like Chris Froome or Michael Woods, make way for youth. "The idea is to build a real schedule from the start of the year so as to incorporate the Continental riders with the pros. They will not be filler"; The Mainland will be made up of 16 runners, 8 Israelis and 8 Europeans. "For the project to work, it is important to have a good recruitment. This is why I went to the Tour de l'Avenir to see the young people who are going up."

He also adds that they'll have more of a presence in Northern Europe next year + he himself has signed a four year deal.

Plenty to mull over there in the bolded parts.

Currently they have 22 riders signed up for 2022 (according to PCS). The four Israelis brings that to 26. Neilands to 27 and that leaves one spot max for incoming transfers. Unless that one rider is a really big name, then this will be the first year that the team has not been improved with transfers since it's inception. Don't get me wrong, making the switch to youth (with the occasional old head) is the right approach I feel, but they now really run the risk of losing out in the 2023 WT competition (I haven't checked but with the results in the past few days, they may be in the relegation zone already).

It wouldn't bother me per se a relegation to PCT, but I can't see Adams liking that.

I'll have a look at the people who did well at l'Avenir (like Verbrugghe did) later. However I think most of them are already signed to WT or PCT teams already (or WT devo teams). Might be difficult to find 2001+ riders that are available.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #703 on: September 18, 2021, 09:20 »
    Might be difficult to find 2001+ riders that are available.
    But they only need 16? :angel

:dizzy
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14505
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #704 on: September 18, 2021, 12:04 »

could be better, could be worse, I guess. Some fitting shorts wouldn't hurt

edit: in the race, it actually looks quite good, combined with the red shoes, and that red stripe on the shorts
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 15:18 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #705 on: September 18, 2021, 19:00 »
    quite a good article about Dan Martin's retirement in Irish press

“I went to my room and I thought, ‘okay, let’s have a think how much money I’d need to get, and what would be my ideal race programme?’ I came to the decision that it was irrelevant. And that was the turning point. [...]

“The intensity of the sport is just increasing with professionalism. And the demands are just getting higher and higher.” [...]

“It’s an incredibly professional environment now where every minute detail is controlled by the teams, obviously to optimise performance. It’s got to the extent that you’re told exactly how much food to eat, by weight, and also when to eat it and what to eat. And the training is all controlled too.

“It’s incredible where the sport has come from when I started racing. I look back at photos now, and you just see the difference, it is immense. But at the same time, for me personally, it’s lost a little bit of the attraction, in terms of the human side of it.

“With all the money involved in the sport now, all the sponsors are serious and the riders are even more serious. And that intensity, for me, is not sustainable anymore.” [...]

“The reason I wanted to go to the Giro was partly to try and win the stage that I was missing from my palmarès [results], but also just to try something different. But after completing the Giro, I realised that it wasn’t the same old races I was bored of, it was just cycling I was bored of.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/dan-martin-i-realised-that-it-wasn-t-the-same-old-races-i-was-bored-of-it-was-just-cycling-1.4674028
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #706 on: September 18, 2021, 19:55 »
    That should of course be 2000+ and not 2001.

L'Avenir Watch

I was right. There aren't many who did well that aren't already WT/PCT/WT Devo signed. There are a few, but they're mainly from 2000.

First up Marco Frigo. Finished 11th in the GC. Decent climber, but also did well in the recent Flanders Tomorrow Tour. Did some tests/camps with Deceuninck a year or two back, but the interest has cooled and with SEG disappearing is very much available.

Martin Messner (great surname for a climber as I have said before). Pure climber - only 50kg. Finished 6th in the GC. Can't see it happening for some reason.

People like Vernon and Gloag would on paper be available, but that would appear very unlikely to me with Ineos lurking.

Frigo's the only one I see making the move from what he did at l'Avenir.

In fact why don't they just sign a bunch of the SEG boys. Frigo, De Pooter (2002), Krul (2000) and Wood (2000).
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #707 on: September 19, 2021, 20:30 »
    He got the first Israeli win in Europe and now the first .1 winner. Still only 23 (just).

https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1439636333111169027

:fanfare

Feet back on ground. It was from a much reduced group of ~25 riders and therefore there was much less fighting over position. He had two team mates to help him out when others had less. Sagan and Steimle aren't top sprinters.

Anyway it's going to be fun watching him next year when he'll surely have more opportunities in the much sprinter reduced I-SUN.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #708 on: September 20, 2021, 19:16 »
    Let's continue....

Worlds Watch

Some of the already mentioned targets (imaginary or otherwise) didn't produce anything amazing in the TT. Frigo and Parisella both finished outside the top-30. Somebody that might have caught Verbrugghe's eye was Miholjevic. He was just a minute down on the winner and as a 2002 rider has plenty of scope for improvement. Rides for Friuli ASD currently, so maybe De Marchi can put in a word for him.

As for the juniors tomorrow, Cole Kessler (US JR TT Champion) is following a lot of I-SUN people and equipment providers on Instagram. He's been riding quite a bit over here in Europe this year with the LUX junior team and with some success.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #709 on: September 21, 2021, 08:12 »
    Sagan and Steimle aren't top sprinters.
    Sagan won the Tour green jersey a gazillion times! :shh

Yes, I know, I know.
    It wasn't against the very best sprinters in the world - but then I don't think Einhorn will ever reach that level consistently (I mean, even Viviani hasn't really reached that level again after going to #cofidis).
    Winning a 2.1 stage ahead of a multiple green jersey winner is a decent scalp.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #710 on: September 21, 2021, 16:45 »
    Cimolai and Renard are both heading to Cofidis and Hofstetter is rumoured to Arkea.

I'm disappointed that each are leaving to varying degrees. Renard especially is just starting to bloom with some nice performances. Hofstetter had his place in semi-classics and you could rely on him for top 5-10 with minimal help in most sprints.

This is looking more and more like poor decision making and contract management by the team.

Imo it initially stems from the decision last year to give two year contracts to Greipel and Barbier. Even Andre was surprised by the lengthy deal. Now the German has decided to retire on his own terms which is fair enough, but Rudy is still about. He can be quick on his day, but is very limited in the profiles he can contest.

That is where Hugo is different. He's rarely going to win big, but is very consistent and a lot more proficient on various parcours. He's going very strong at the tail-end of this season.

You never know, maybe they did offer him a new contract, but after the TdF snub I thought it was always likely that he was going to leave.

They could end up really regretting it.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #711 on: September 23, 2021, 18:09 »
    After the success the team had at the Flanders Tomorrow Tour, unfortunately it's back to reality in Bretagne. The profiles might not look like much, but I thought beforehand it was going to be a tough week and so it has proved.

DNFs for Kogut, Boucek and Pickrell so far. The only bright spot is Goldstein III. He's finished in the front peloton on every stage and with this parcour not exactly being his forte, then you can't ask for much more. Maybe he can roll the dice on the stages at the weekend.

----------------

Not much representation in the U23 race tomorrow.

#teamau Mackellar
     #teamfr Renard - could be in with a outside chance

The one Israeli rep isn't part of ICA (yet?). It's Roi Weinberg. He has been riding some non-UCI races in Belgium the past couple of months and has got some top-5/10 results.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #712 on: September 25, 2021, 16:30 »
    Not much representation in the U23 race tomorrow.

#teamau Mackellar
     #teamfr Renard - could be in with a outside chance

The one Israeli rep isn't part of ICA (yet?). It's Roi Weinberg. He has been riding some non-UCI races in Belgium the past couple of months and has got some top-5/10 results.

Renard was the best of those three in 19th position. The other two both finished, but with such a large proportion of the field doing the same, that isn't much to write home about.

Just ahead of Renard was Strong. Does that make his signing an improvement of the squad? :P

-------------------------------

In the Junior RR none of the Israelis finished. After such a chaotic start it wasn't too surprising.

Kessler finished in the main group of favourites which ended up contesting the bronze medal.

------------------------------

Representation in the Elite RR? Presuming the start list is confirmed...

#teamit De Marchi
     #teamdk MWS
     #teamca Boivin
     #teamee Vahtra
     #teamlv Neilands

I think that's it. A top-twenty for Neilands is probably the best possible outcome. Others have no chance or will be working for others.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #714 on: October 09, 2021, 22:42 »
    Poor result today really for Woods. Looked like he had decent legs, but maybe just a lack of racing instinct. The less said about the sprint at the end the better. It was the same at LBL, last from a small group sprint and he's not slow by any means.

--------------------------------

Another name to add to the potential devo signings (we already have lightly inked in Kessler and Frigo) is Matthew Riccitello. He first came to notice at the Worlds in Harrogate helping Simmons to the junior RR title. His final junior year in 2020 was a write-off for obvious reasons, however he's done okay in his first espoir year at Hagens Berman - 25th at l'Ain for example. If I'm right, I think he would be a great signing.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #715 on: October 10, 2021, 09:53 »
    according to bici.pro, Nizzolo could get on board for 2022, if Qhubeka folds

https://bici.pro/news/professionisti/nizzolo-il-2022-tra-incertezza-e-idee-chiare/

Would be quite a good fit, I think, to replace Hofstetter :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #716 on: October 10, 2021, 11:08 »
    He has to replace Hofstetter, Greipel and Cimolai! I think he can do it and for that type of classics/sprinter role he is the best (and only?) realistic target left on the market. Not a prodigious winner by any means, but is capable still of much bigger results than the three he's replacing.

TT-ing climber next please.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3544
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #717 on: October 10, 2021, 19:00 »
    TT-ing climber next please.
    I am aware of a guy who has two Olympic bronze medals in the time trial, and has won the mountains classification in both the Tour and the Giro.  Might he meet that requirement?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #718 on: October 11, 2021, 05:41 »
    The team tried to sign that rider last year, but they weren't successful. The alternative they ended up with isn't much cop....
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #719 on: October 13, 2021, 23:24 »
    No more recruiting experienced runners like Chris Froome or Michael Woods, make way for youth

Errrrrrrr. :lol

https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1448315063035695113

....and if you add Nizzolo and extend the four Israelis + Neilands, that'll give thirty riders. Not quite the 27-28 Verbrugghe was talking about the other month.

Tbh though the only big issue I have with the above news in it's entirety is the length of deal for Fugly. Three years is a lot for someone of his age. Unless it's similar to Vanmarcke who preferred a longer deal on less money over other offers of more money for 1 year.

Probably not quite as good a climber as the person he's replacing - Cousin Dan, but a better TT-er and descender. He should give them a better option in one-week stage races with a TT.

Hugo. :)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [November 24, 2021, 10:55]