collapse

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
  • Liked: 7967
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18
« Reply #420 on: October 25, 2017, 10:41 »
Alexander Kamp takes another year at #virtu
Where else would/should he have gone? It's a buyer's market in the pro ranks this year, and he's done very well with them. Better to stay in place and hope for a 2019 upgrade of the whole team than to leave for an uncertain future.

Also, Raymond Kreder goes to Japan:
https://twitter.com/SEGcycling/status/923115880376127488

Raymond Kreder #roompot --> #ukyo

Ukyo must be paying alright-ish for a Conti team to attract the riders they do (Aberasturi, Prades, Pujol, Earle, now one of the Kreders).
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1599
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #421 on: October 25, 2017, 11:32 »
    Where else would/should he have gone? It's a buyer's market in the pro ranks this year, and he's done very well with them. Better to stay in place and hope for a 2019 upgrade of the whole team than to leave for an uncertain future.

There were no negative connotations about taking another year. I wasn't really expecting him to move. TBH, I don't think he will now
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 9731
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #422 on: October 25, 2017, 21:40 »
    https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/923272957866242048

Magner -----> #rally

Their sprinting department did look a bit light, but where does this leave Holowesko? Okay Murphy is probably quicker than Magner, but last time I checked when you moved up from CT to PCT your team was meant to improve...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #423 on: October 25, 2017, 22:07 »
    There were no negative connotations about taking another year. I wasn't really expecting him to move. TBH, I don't think he will now
    And I didn't understand it that way. :)
    What I'm saying is: Staying with #virtu was genuinely his best option.

Also, there's a clause in his contract that he can freely move to a WorldTour or ProConti team whenever he gets an offer:
    http://sport.tv2.dk/cykling/2017-10-25-riis-stortalent-forlaenger-og-faar-usaedvanligt-tvist-i-kontrakten
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1637
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #424 on: October 26, 2017, 00:23 »
    #uae have completely failed to understand how to 'do' Social Media. They are unfathomably horrible at it.
     . . .

At the risk of sounding, aha, prejudiced, I might offer that is probably because they got a local son (or daughter) to do it. You know one reason they hire so many expats? Is because nepotism forces them to hire locals who are not much better than incompetent, in spite of outstanding educational degrees.

Only a year but the rumours were true

Matti Breschel  #astana --->  #cannondale . . .

And, page 2 . . . the REST of the story:
    Other new arrivals include Sacha Modolo and Dan McLay in the sprints, and Mitch Docker to bolster the classics lineup.

Riders to leave include Alberto Bettiol and Patrick Bevin (BMC Racing), Dylan Van Baarle (Sky), Davide Villella (Astana), Davide Formolo (Bora-Hansgrohe), Kristjan Koren (Bahrain-Merida), Tom-Jelte Slagter (Dimension Data), Wouter Wippert (Roompot-Loterij), and Ryan Mullen and Toms Skujins (Trek-Segafredo). Andrew Talansky announced his retirement from professional racing to take on triathlon.

Read more at VeloNews
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #425 on: October 26, 2017, 08:17 »
    At the risk of sounding, aha, prejudiced, I might offer that is probably because they got a local son (or daughter) to do it. You know one reason they hire so many expats? Is because nepotism forces them to hire locals who are not much better than incompetent, in spite of outstanding educational degrees.
    This is truer than you think - but not in the way you think. ;)

People need to stop thinking of #uae as a team from the Emirates, it is anything but that. It's an Italian team that got a lot of cash from the Emirates (literally from Emirates, even!), but they otherwise continue to be as Italian as you can be.
    In fact, the team's staff became even more Italian for 2017: The #lampre head DS in 2016 was *fr Philippe Mauduit (formerly of #bouygues #cervelo & #tinkoff) who left for #bahrain. Until mid-2016, *za Brent Copeland was the team's general manager - he moved over to #bahrain as well to become their general manager. As you know, Lampre's bike sponsor Merida also went to Bahrain.
    Without remembering all the details, this was likely a very well-prepared move, planned long in advance of last year's off-season.

Meanwhile, Lampre-nolongerMerida presented their new partners TJ Sports in late August in what was a lot of splash and not much substance (as you all know, the Chinese moneymen mysteriously disappeared over something to do with being banned to invest outside China). The new bike sponsor was also presented, perennial Italian brand Colnago. I'm sure this was a case of Beppe Saronni picking up the phone and calling in a favour from Colnago for having put their logo on the #champit & #rainbow jerseys in the 1980s rather than a conscious business decision by the bike brand's executives.

Beppe had stopped being directly involved with the running of the team after the 2013 season, leaving the reins to Brent Copeland ... who then up-and-awayed. What to do?
    Promote from within, of course. Preferably not only within the team, but within the family. And that is how Carlo Saronni, Beppe's son, became general manager of a WT team, with a resumé that could boast one stagiaire-stint with Lampre in 2008, followed by several years as the team's "responsible for media content" (under the "responsible for communications, Andrea Appiani). Over the years, the English translations of the #lampre press releases have become (in)famous for their awkward syntax and grammar, often clearly being auto-translated versions of the Italian text.

With half of the 2016 press office being promoted to general manager, they brought in Andrea Agostini to complement Appiani (plus Zhao Haoyang, left over from the TJ Sports adventure, as "Asia press officer"). Other than switching to new Social Media accounts (and losing tens of thousands of followers/fans in the process), the team's Social Media - and media - policy hasn't changed: The translations to English are still toe-curling, team tweets often consist of nothing more than a Facebook link (just about the biggest no-no of all as regards good & engaging Twitter use; links that more often than not take me to a "this page doesn't exist" for unknown reasons).

I thought that this would improve when Emirates - a company with 60,000+ employees, 50+ million air passengers, a 20 billion € turnover and 28 billion € in total assets - came in ... but apparently Sheikh Maktoum is content with coughing up a couple of millions for the team and cares not at all about how that money is spent.

I am confident that *it Aru will more than thrive at this quintessentially most Italian team, probably even more so than at the already half-Italian set-up of Astana. I am almost as confident that their other big signings, *no Kristoff and *ie Dan Martin, may not have much more to show for their 2018 seasons in 12 months' time than a big, fat paycheck - I have a hard time believing they'll equal their best seasons (or even 2017 seasons) next year, much less improve on them.
    Kristoff was (cycling-wise) 'brought up' in Norway, then 'matured' on a Russian team with sizable German staff. Cousin Dan was 'brought up' in Ireland & France, then 'matured' on a US team with a very international feel, and moved to an almost-as-international Belgian team. It will be a big change for them to move to this Italian team with all its Italian culture.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fervent lover of Italy and Italian culture; but even Italians themselves readily admit that not all things are well in their country precisely because of this culture. And it's not a climate in which everyone thrives ... a big number on the contract offer may have made Alex & Dan oblivious to this issue, but I'm sure it will visibly influence their 2018 seasons.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 00:01 by LukasCPH »

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #426 on: October 26, 2017, 09:29 »

1st November can't come soon enough.

The people they have started following on Twitter include Monsalve, Jurado (Panamanian version), Thomas Armstrong, Cahyadi, Schappi and Grijalba.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #428 on: October 26, 2017, 10:45 »

1st November can't come soon enough.

The people they have started following on Twitter include Monsalve, Jurado (Panamanian version), Thomas Armstrong, Cahyadi, Schappi and Grijalba.
    Note that this is the team following the riders. That only means they're interested in those riders - not that the rider is interested in the team. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #429 on: October 26, 2017, 12:16 »
    Also, there's a clause in his contract that he can freely move to a WorldTour or ProConti team whenever he gets an offer

I should stop trying to read between the lines  :D :niceday

That's an interesting clause. I guess it's probably more common to have these 'option' clauses than I think. There are rumours that Fuglsang had something written into his new #astana contract re his options should the team sign another 'big' GC contender. No idea if that's remotely true, I just offer it as an example of my lack of knowledge about contracts.

I think the problem / worry I have with the crop of good Danish Conti riders (or any nationality that don't have stepping stone teams) is their pathway upwards. It'snot that they couldn't cut it on a pro team, it's how do they get there. That and the fact that the move to pro ranks seems to come earlier, it feels like if you haven't got there by 23, it's maybe not going to happen :(
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #430 on: October 26, 2017, 12:32 »
    And, page 2 . . . the REST of the story:

Oh I have such conflicted feelings about this team. I am genuinely happy they survived. They field many of the riders I love to watch and care about, and YAAAY #SpecialBreschel has a home.  But the way the team operates and JV himself irritate me no end.

#ConflictedMidge

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #431 on: October 26, 2017, 18:33 »
    http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_106529.htm

It could be old news, but according to Baillifard, Roth Akros are going U23. Therefore he and a few others, but most significantly Stussi, are looking for new teams. Colin has had a great year, so he shouldn't be short of suitors.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #432 on: October 26, 2017, 18:41 »
    This is truer than you think - but not in the way you think. ;)

People need to stop thinking of #uae as a team from the Emirates, it is anything but that. It's an Italian team that got a lot of cash from the Emirates (literally from Emirates, even!), but they otherwise continue to be as Italian as you can be. . . .
    With half of the 2016 press office being promoted to general manager, they brought in Andrea Agostini to complement Appiani (plus Zhao Haoyang, left over from the TJ Sports adventure, as "Asia press officer"). Other than switching to new Social Media accounts (and losing tens of thousands of followers/fans in the process), the team's Social Media - and media - policy hasn't changed: The translations to English are still toe-curling, team tweets often consist of nothing more than a Facebook link (just about the biggest no-no of all as regards good & engaging Twitter use; links that more often than not takes me to a "this page doesn't exist" for unknown reasons).
     . . .

You should send that to CyclingWeekly or CN or somebody as a guest opinion piece. Great bit of writing - I had to click "Like" before I got halfway thru.

Oh I have such conflicted feelings about this team. I am genuinely happy they survived. They field many of the riders I love to watch and care about, and YAAAY #SpecialBreschel has a home.  But the way the team operates and JV himself irritate me no end.

#ConflictedMidge

I also like their focus on clean riding. Which, afaik, still is quoted by their riders as a plus side of the team culture. But there is something irritating about them. Maybe it was a symptom when Vaughters' picked argyle way back when. Doesn't argyle scream "I'm irritating, and if you don't like it, tough!" I still want to read Gaiman's book. Pretty sure he agrees that JV is irritating!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #433 on: October 26, 2017, 18:53 »
    Doesn't argyle scream "I'm irritating, and if you don't like it, tough!" I still want to read Gaiman's book. Pretty sure he agrees that JV is irritating!

I'd put Gaimon pretty high up in the irritation rankings myself. I know every cyclist needs to find something to do after they retire, but I think I'd find him less annoying if he just opened a bike shop somewhere.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #434 on: October 26, 2017, 20:54 »
    You should send that to CyclingWeekly or CN or somebody as a guest opinion piece. Great bit of writing - I had to click "Like" before I got halfway thru.
    Thanks. :)

Guest opinion on what, though? #uae not knowing how to Social Media, or the team being as Italian as gelato, with hardly any Emirati input (except for the :betting)?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #435 on: October 26, 2017, 21:03 »
    https://twitter.com/MemilProCycling/status/922875522165731333

:cool

Manninen is an obvious rider for them after the demise of Team FixIT. I think I read Hanninen signed for a French D1 team, so he may not be available. Some of the other nationalities fit in with riders in the 2017 squad, so possibly not wholesale changes.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #436 on: October 27, 2017, 02:00 »
    . . . :betting)?
    :lol :D :o :lol

Thanks. :)

Guest opinion on what, though? #uae not knowing how to Social Media, or the team being as Italian as gelato, with hardly any Emirati input (except for the :betting)?

Yes. Precisely!
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #437 on: October 27, 2017, 02:28 »
    On to another topic/rider! Francisco Mancebo! The eternal rider!

http://www.ciclo21.com/mancebo-sigue-en-2018-con-el-inteja

I have to add, I have often suspected Mancebo of artificially enhancing his career - but one has to admit - that he HAS followed the natural trajectory of a non-enhanced rider as he (she) ages. Sure, he still has wins - but you know, back when I was riding masters, there were guys who were strong enough to win against Cat 3-4, for sure, and, but rarely, against Cat 1-2. That was pre-EPO, so I do have to think it was something of a "gold standard". Meaning that I view Mancebo's career trajectory as quite believably natural, on its own,  Not, ipso facto, due to enhancement.

But anytime a guy as old as this is still competitive, in THIS day and age, and one has to get out the Dark-Side viewing glasses.

Now, I apologize for bringing the Dark Side here. Having said that, I like that Mancebo has maintained his competitive spirit, and keeps on keeping on. Keep on truckin', dude! (not sure how long this link will work)

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #438 on: October 27, 2017, 05:21 »
    https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/923651512999571461

Stinky Carl ---------> #rally

Rally hoovering up the talent from rival teams.

Britton renews as well.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #439 on: October 27, 2017, 09:49 »
    Hooray \o/

Cast adrift from Lotto Soudal U23 Mikkel Frølich Honoré finds a place at #virtu

https://twitter.com/VirtuCycling/status/923821578483204096
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #440 on: October 27, 2017, 17:19 »
    I'd put Gaimon pretty high up in the irritation rankings myself. I know every cyclist needs to find something to do after they retire, but I think I'd find him less annoying if he just opened a bike shop somewhere.

Based on the excerpt from his book, he is MUCH easier to read than he is to listen to. His writing is amusing, even!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    « Reply #441 on: October 27, 2017, 17:45 »
    Based on the excerpt from his book, he is MUCH easier to read than he is to listen to. His writing is amusing, even!
    His writing is very good indeed.
    Thankfully not every (ex-)pro cyclist is that good at it; they'd put people like me out of business! ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #443 on: October 28, 2017, 01:37 »
    His writing is very good indeed.
    Thankfully not every (ex-)pro cyclist is that good at it; they'd put people like me out of business! ;)
    :lol
    I think they are mostly pretty bad at it. Mostly pretty bad with talking to the public, also. If Mr. "Shut-up-legs" Voigt wasn't famous and liked for other reasons, his announcer days would be long over. LeMond would be following him out the door, unfortunately. I don't think you have much to worry about on that score! I mean, think of the eloquence and quick wit of Sir Wiggo!   :o ;)
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #444 on: October 29, 2017, 16:47 »
    Quite likely in the news elsewhere as well, but we have a rocky start in Movistar land:
    Landa speaks about Quintana's comments, VN
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion

Leadbelly

• World Champion

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #447 on: October 30, 2017, 20:06 »
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #448 on: October 31, 2017, 08:52 »
    Michael Carbel #virtu --->  #fortuneo (1 year contract)

Danish replacement for  #cannondale bound Dan McLay

https://twitter.com/Staghoj/status/925274164260425729

Excellent news, another #roskilde rider with a new contract

Casper von Folsach most recently seen lighting up the track with partner Niklias Larsen at the London SixDay will ride for ColoQuick CULT #colocult in 2018

https://twitter.com/DRSporten/status/925284242090704896
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #449 on: October 31, 2017, 09:09 »
    News is thick and fast from Denmark this morning ;p

My favourite  *fo Føroyingar[1] Torkil Veyhe  #colocult ---> #virtu o/

https://twitter.com/VirtuCycling/status/925286305776521216

This news has really made me smile this morning. Age 27 and he's still improving...  #GoTorkil
     1. yeah, OK the only one I've heard of ;p
  • ReplyReply

•