Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1895
Re: Druivenkoers - Overijse : 23 August 2017
« on: August 24, 2017, 19:11 »
Reactions after the race on Directvélo:

Jérôme Baugnies:

This race suits me well but it still was hard to win. I went in a chase with Dimitri Peyskens. As the peloton was coming closer, I rather chose to save energy for the finale. It was the right choice. The sprint was tight with Amund Grøndahl Jansen  *no . Xandro Meurisse was useful in the final kilometer to block the other competitors. I started from far away. It's really peculiar to win here, of course and on top of that, it's for the third time. It's tradition for us to shine here. I still need one victory to equal Björn Leukemans before, why not, attempt a fifth one. I'm aware it's going to be difficult but I'm motivated to achieve that aim in any case.

Lire la suite : http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/60696/druivenkoers-overijse-les-reactions

I find it appalling that Baugnies is justifying the action of his teammate. As though they had planned it together and they both deserve disqualification.  :(

Amund Grøndahl Jansen:

It's my best performance of the year. I'm glad about my day. Of course the second place is bitter sweet to me. The Wanty-Groupe Govert played it smart as a team in the last straight line. It's borderline, isn't it? but sometimes some sprints are turbulent. In my first months at LottoNL-Jumbo I spent long moments in breakaways. Today after Lars Boom retired from the race, I could ride for myself. It's a pleasant feeling. I hope I can make another nice performance before season ends.

He does not seem willing to lodge any complaint, does he?

Xandro Meurisse:

I was the "reserve" leader on this race. I wanted to race Overijse because I knew that the profile could suit me. I knew that I could ride for myself while still be careful not to thwart Jérôme Baugnies' plans. There's mutual respect between us. He had to race for me at the Tour of Luxembourg. Today, it rather was the opposite. We have similar skills: punchers with a sprint after a hard race. I was in Jérôme Baugnies' wheel at the start of the sprint. I blocked Amund Grøndahl Jansen of Norway a little bit during the sprint. This podium is boosting my final part of the season before the next big rendez-vous for me: the Tour of Britain. This year's route is less hard than last year's. The field will be impressive once again. I'm looking forward to it. Last year I took the mountain jersey and was twice in the GC top10. It's really one of my favourite races

Lire la suite : http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/60696/druivenkoers-overijse-les-reactions

So admitting it and feels like it's okay...

By the way, the ranking:

I'm very glad to see that Julien Mortier of Tournai top10ed this race. :cool If you remember he was one of the U23 riders selected in the Belgian national team at the Tour of Belgium. This year he was 9th at the U23 Liège-Bastogne-Liège. It looks like he's better at pro races than at U23 races.  :D

On some other forums, I had an argument with some poster reducing the race as a mere "criterium", just because it's not really a media-friendly and implying that we shouldn't bother making justice for such a "small race". :angry I found it so shocking. I mean we've discussed here how much financial and organisational trouble those small race organisers have and of course if the sacrosanct GT's are what they are today ot's because such races do exist. If you scrap those races, the whole "card castle" is collapsing, don't you think so? So I think it's about time to do something for those race instead of despising. I wish I had the skills to be a voluntary official on such races, to give a hand at my humble level.  :(

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)