Voting closed: April 08, 2018, 11:54

Caruut

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 521
    • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
  • Awards: Post of 2014
Re: 2018 Paris Roubaix
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 15:25 »
Feels strange to discuss racing after all that has happened. Utterly tragic, can only hope that there is some positive to come out of this, improved heart screening or something, greater awareness of undetected cardio issues etc. Just heartbreaking.

As for the race itself, to me the most interesting aspect was the cooperation between Sagan and Dillier. I know it's not exactly popular, but I can't help wondering if Peter's whining is paying off. In AG's thread last week, I suggested one of Sagan's weaknesses was his ability to strike a bargain. He seems very much to have done so with Dillier; I wonder if a rider like Dillier would have worked with 2015 Sagan, or seen the headstrong youngster's trust in his sprint as a golden ticket to the velodrome. I suspect the latter. I wonder too if it contributed to the initial intertia when he went clear - nobody really fancied 50km of him yapping about a lack of cooperation so just left him to ride away.

It is interesting that for all his talent in a sprint, his monument wins have both come by going solo.
  • ReplyReply

•