Voting closed: April 08, 2018, 11:54

Caruut

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 521
    • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
  • Awards: Post of 2014
Re: 2018 Paris Roubaix
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2018, 17:23 »
"Sprint" always was a bit of a poor word to describe what happens in a finish of 7 hour long race. Road racing is primarily an endurance sport, and the best classics riders may be unmatched (on this planet) when it comes to stamina.

Aleksander Kristoff also won the Ronde van Vlaanderen on an attack (with Terpstra) rather than a sprint (if we agree sprinting against Terpstra doesn't count.)

Completely agree, and not meaning to take away from Sagan's obvious stamina and resistance.

I was more making the point that Sagan seems not to go clear of the favourites group with other riders very often - it's either clear alone or stalking the group waiting for the "sprint". Even with Dillier it seems to me that he benefitted from having a rider with him who both knew would be happy with 2nd, not a genuine pre-race favourite. If anything I suppose what I'm saying is that Sagan can trust in his sprint too much and never quite feel the need to make the race himself, but has actually found a lot of success when he does so.

In that sense I would distinguish Kristoff-Terpstra, in that the pair of them were both favourites, and went clear together. I don't know if Sagan's troubles are more related to him or to others, to his inability to marshall a group or the group's unwillingness to work with a rider who can outsprint anyone but the top flat-track boys a la Kittel etc.
  • ReplyReply

•