collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1637
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Rest Day 2 after stage 15
« on: July 20, 2019, 18:23 »
This has to have been one of the better first weeks in recent memory, no?

Intrigue

Action

Upsets

Surprises

I need some sleep before deep-diving into a proper breakdown. Thankfully, this rest day comes at the perfect time for both the fans and media to catch their breath and assess all that has gone down thus far.

Vive le Tour!  :cool

More action, more intrigue. ENTIRELY unexpected GC positions through stage 14. Posting this two days prior, so it could all still change tomorrow.

If Alaphillipe is still in #yellow, France will be starting a week long national holiday - unplanned but certainly celebrated! :party
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    Re: Rest Day 2 after stage 15
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 16:28 »
    Stage 15, and Pinot, once again, gained time. On a stage that finally had a little more sense of reality present, instead of Alaphillipe dreaming. It could still be just a bad day for Alaphillipe, but I think we will see that he hit his limits, and fatigue has come to stay.

However, Alaphillipe has been the perfect foil for Pinot. With all eyes on Alaphillipe, Pinot was certainly allowed more rope than he would have had otherwise in these stages. And now he has made up the crosswinds loss, and lies a mere 15 seconds down on Thomas. Kruiswijk still has 3 seconds on Pinot, but Pinot is the stronger climber.  #jumbo is stronger now than #ineos, while #fdj and Pinot seem to have sufficient strength to play on that dynamic.

With Monday as a rest day, Tuesday as a flat stage, and Wednesday as an "Alaphillipe profile" day,  #deceuninck should be able to protect and hold #yellow until Thursday: Stage 18, Embrun > Valoire. The Izoard. The Galibier.

That would be the perfect scenario for Pinot to take the lead. Alaphillipe will remain a national  *fr hero, as did Tommy Voelckler before him. *fr will be in full party mode.

Well, I can hope, anyway!

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3733
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 19:21 »
     With teams now having a 2 night stopover and temperatures soaring, I can't help but think accommodation plays it's part: certainly in terms of recovery. Most seem to fare pretty evenly this time, but these are the outliers.

Bardet:

Buchmann

Poor CCC

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Carlo Algatrensig

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1091
    « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 20:04 »

In terms of the hotels one of the podcasts i've listened to in the last week a rider said they prefer a Campanile to a bespoke "Boutique" hotel that they sometimes end up in. The reason being that the Campaniles almost always have the same room layout, same facilities etc so it's sort of like being somewhere familiar.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14181
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

M Gee

• Road Captain

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 08:32 »
    Been a fantastic tour best since 2011. Maybe  get to Giro 2010 levels of recent Grand tours. Just need a big twist at the end
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 09:33 »
    Sticking with the hotel theme.
    Potentially a very interesting evening at the Best Western in Gap, on Wednesday just before the Alps, when Ineos and DQS finally get to share a hotel. :D

No air con either.

Hard to believe this is a 3-star hotel. Unbearably hot and stuffy, no air conditioning, no screen on windows and no way to open them without fully opening the drapes, windows give out onto a noisy parking lot and high traffic street anyway. No air circulation at all, felt like we were sleeping in a sauna.

With a heatwave, too. :o
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4024
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 14:03 »
    I was watching to the Armstrong / Hincapie podcast, and they had Tejay  :x_x on as a guest.  (He had a cast covering half his arm, so that thumb fracture must've been fairly substantial).

He mentioned that he rode for two years, as an amateur, alongside Steven Kruijswijk, when they were both part of the Rabobank development system. Kruijswijk is another rider who underwent iliac artery surgery, and Tejay explained how it affected his development. One year he hardly raced at all, then the next, after surgery, he'd be blowing the legs off everyone. But then they had to repair a kink in the stent, and this caused more setbacks for Kruijswijk. So he had a bit of a delayed curve to his racing career, but his talent is unquestionable.

So here he is, he's got the team  #jumbo, and he's in good position right now—3rd place @ 1:47, and the final week plays into his strengths. He's finished in the top five in all three GT's, so we know he can go the distance.

Could this be the great upset for the French celebration while adding a new, fresh face to the pantheon of Tour champions?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3718
    « Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 14:22 »
    I know a good Hotel in Gap, but the best place to be would be up in the valley behind the Col de Manse, there´s a small ski stadion Ancelles, at the foot of a pass going back down to the lake again the other way. Better temperatures and away from the overcrowde.d-by-cars streets of Gap (except the old town it is really bad, parked cars occupying all the space).

I am disappointed,  almost offended by the Tour going back to Gap but skipping the col du Manse again. It is a legendary descent and perhaps the most famous one in France, and should be visited regularly, just like the most well-known climbs.

As you can see I am very much a fan of cycling in the wider Gap area, and recommend it (watch out for the Beloki curve, it,is the only really difficult one). For hanging out the old town is ok, but avoid parkingplacecarchaosolandia of the suburbs.

The really good hotel? One that didn’t look like it but turned out to have really nice rooms at an affordable rate and a locked bike storage room, walking distance from the old town. The exterior was a bit like painted in the 50’s sometime :)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 14:23 »

I do wonder how this is going to impact the remainder of the race. And didn't you say something about Pinot not fairing well in the heat? (I looked but could not seem to find a very recent post about just that.)

Does Thibaut have a reputation/record of suffering under the sun?

My thoughts are:
    Extreme heat will really be a test of team preparedness and planning. Clearly we can expect  #ineos to be taking everything into account while leveraging their own, vast resources. There are things teams can do to mitigate the effects of the heat on the riders, and even the slightest advantage could prove to be a game changer.

Will it come down to this?
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 14:25 »
    Sticking with the hotel theme.
    Potentially a very interesting evening at the Best Western in Gap, on Wednesday just before the Alps, when Ineos and DQS finally get to share a hotel. :D

No air con either.

That totally sucks, big time. I used to hate overnights like that when I was traveling for work. If I were the DS, I'd be down at whatever Gap's equivalent of Target or Home Depot is - buying room A/C units.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 17:38 »
    That totally sucks, big time. I used to hate overnights like that when I was traveling for work. If I were the DS, I'd be down at whatever Gap's equivalent of Target or Home Depot is - buying room A/C units.

I think they probably will.
    Last year, (a very hot Summer) Sky had a problem, mid race, whereby everybody using the portable A/Cs tripped out the electric supply.
    They were told as a result, only Froome could have one and the rest had to suffer. Geraint said sod that and pinched one, too! :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 18:11 »
    I didn't manage to have my usual proper "res day" look at the minor rankings, but here is a quick overview at least.

Points Classification
    1      #green   PETER SAGAN       284 PTS
    2      #bahrain   SONNY COLBRELLI       191 PTS
    3      #sunweb   MICHAEL MATTHEWS       187 PTS
    4      #deceuninck   ELIA VIVIANI       184 PTS
    5      #lotto   CALEB EWAN       148 PTS
    6      #trek   JASPER STUYVEN       132 PTS
    7      #mitchelton   MATTEO TRENTIN       118 PTS
    8      #deceuninck   JULIAN ALAPHILIPPE       117 PTS
    9      #ccc   GREG VAN AVERMAET       101 PTS
    10      #jumbo   DYLAN GROENEWEGEN       96 PTS

done deal

Youth Classification
    1      #white   EGAN BERNAL       -
    2      #groupama   DAVID GAUDU       + 00h 12' 29''
    3      #deceuninck   ENRIC MAS       + 00h 33' 16''
    4      #jumbo   LAURENS DE PLUS       + 00h 45' 26''
    5      #trek   GIULIO CICCONE       + 00h 49' 16''

done deal

Team Classification
    1      #movistar   MOVISTAR TEAM       -
    2      #trek   TREK - SEGAFREDO       + 00h 30' 45''
    3      #ineos   TEAM INEOS       + 00h 30' 54''
    4      #groupama   GROUPAMA - FDJ       + 00h 36' 22''
    5      #jumbo   TEAM JUMBO - VISMA       + 00h 49' 41''
    6      #bora   BORA - HANSGROHE       + 00h 59' 38''
    7      #ef   EF EDUCATION FIRST       + 00h 59' 46''
    8      #mitchelton   MITCHELTON - SCOTT       + 01h 05' 03''
    9      #ag2r   AG2R LA MONDIALE       + 01h 08' 06''
    10      #astana   ASTANA PRO TEAM       + 01h 14' 04''

:lol

Mountain Classification
    1      #kom   TIM WELLENS       64 PTS
    2      #groupama   THIBAUT PINOT       50 PTS
    3      #lotto   THOMAS DE GENDT       37 PTS
    4      #deceuninck   JULIAN ALAPHILIPPE       33 PTS
    5      #trek   GIULIO CICCONE       30 PTS
    6      #mitchelton   SIMON YATES       29 PTS
    7      #wanty   XANDRO MEURISSE       27 PTS
    8      #jumbo   STEVEN KRUIJSWIJK       24 PTS
    9      #bora   EMANUEL BUCHMANN       24 PTS
    10      #cofidis   NATNAEL BERHANE       20 PTS

...and here it gets interesting.

Stage 18: 2pt + 10pt + 40pt + 40pt

Stage 19: 2pt + 5pt + 2pt + 40pt + 10pt

Stage 20: 10pt + 5pt + 40pt

Really, really hard to say how this unfolds. Stage 18 is one that could go to a breakaway, but #kom Wellens doesn't really look strong enough to score much more than maybe those 15 points early on. If a group with Bardet (18pt), Yates, or maybe even Barguil (altthough still at 0 points) stays clear that day though, one of them could very well win the jersey instead. Otherwise, I guess it'll go to Pinot.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 18:28 »
    TdF preview show with Johan and JB, Stage 16

@23:25 Bruyneel offers a very astute analysis of Pinot, his squad  #groupama, his and their chances for success at this Tour, as well his positive impressions of Geraint Thomas at the conclusion of yesterday's stage.

His daily perspectives have been quite entertaining and interesting.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 20:25 »
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 13:07 »
    You know, I think this Tour will forever be known as Alaphillipe's Tour. If Pinot wins, that would be completely ironic, eh? :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7819
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 20:43 »
    You know, I think this Tour will forever be known as Alaphillipe's Tour. If Pinot wins, that would be completely ironic, eh? :D
    It is the 30-year anniversary of 1989 ... :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 23:44 »
    It is the 30-year anniversary of 1989 ... :shh