collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 4156
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Re: Tour 2020 General Discussion
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2020, 00:52 »
oh I didnt realise that.  ok
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3682
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #61 on: August 28, 2020, 08:50 »
    I don't think there is much likelihood of the race being cancelled and once away from Nice, the rest of the race should be able to return to it's original plans, however.....

Tour de France race director Christian Prudhomme previously said he was against holding the race behind closed doors but accepted that crowds would have to be strictly limited at the starts and finishes of stages and on the categorised climbs during stages 1 and 2 around Nice. Blackout panels will transform the start and finish into closed areas. On Thursday evening, only 1,000 people were allowed to attend the Tour de France team presentation.

According to the Alpes-Maritimes health authorities, the number of new cases diagnosed in the past seven days has reached 97 per 100,000 population. French prime minister Jean Castex classified 19 different French departments as red zones, making the wearing of masks obligatory.

Only people on bikes and on foot, equipped with a mask, will be authorized to access the Rimiez coast on Saturday and the Colmiane, Turini, Quatre Chemins and Eze passes on Sunday.

https://twitter.com/petercossins/status/1299252605764407296
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:03 by Mellow Velo »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14162
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #62 on: August 28, 2020, 09:08 »
    yeah, most talk about a cancellation seems to come from foreign media, looking for a good headline.

Sure, the situation is not perfect, and it may require further restricions on spectators, but in general, all those rules were made to make cycling races happen under pandemic circumstances, and that's what we have at the moment. Not more, nor less.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #63 on: August 28, 2020, 09:15 »
    yeah, most talk about a cancellation seems to come from foreign media, looking for a good headline.

Sure, the situation is not perfect, and it may require further restricions on spectators, but in general, all those rules were made to make cycling races happen under pandemic circumstances, and that's what we have at the moment. Not more, nor less.

I haven't posted over on CN in years, but I just liked your post there!

Fed up of the doom and gloom mongers who are constantly spouting pessimism and aren't even prepared to wait and see.

Unfortunately, the Tour always comes with a bunch of foreign journos who only ever comment upon one race and are constantly on the look out for a click bait sensationalist headline.
    This year they don't have to look further than Covid.

Expect much more of the same nonsense until Nice disappears into the distance.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 21:16 by Mellow Velo »

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #64 on: August 28, 2020, 12:18 »
    I also had a little rant at a German journalist on Twitter, who went to France with a full crew of media guys to solely report that the race attracts too many people to should be allowed to happen - needless to say, it's the only cycling event all year they are covering.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3712
    « Reply #66 on: August 28, 2020, 19:55 »

Precisely what I see here, you are spot on, Search. Even official broadcaster TV2 here writes a lot about cancellation, but it is writen by a generalist reporter they bring along, not the (excellent) crew that does cycling year round.

They get clicks for controversy. I write this on the same account as how they fueled the Kristoff vs EBH debate after Quatar worlds. Sorry to see it  come to this low level again :(
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 20:44 by t-72, Reason: Preparing lamb chops while posting was a bad idea »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4012
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #67 on: August 28, 2020, 21:31 »
    I also had a little rant at a German journalist on Twitter, who went to France with a full crew of media guys to solely report that the race attracts too many people to should be allowed to happen - needless to say, it's the only cycling event all year they are covering.

This sounds like something the American press would do...if they were even aware of the TdF in the first place.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #68 on: September 02, 2020, 22:46 »
    I didn't see a Word Championship thread yet, but...

Given the proximity of Worlds to Le Tour, are we not perhaps looking at the best chance in many years for the same person to win both?

Depending on the rider, of course, but if Roglic wins the TdF, the Worlds course looks like it could suit him, if he's in peak form.

In all seriousness, I'll be curios to see what sort of form Valverde rides himself into throughout the Tour. If he finishes strong, he could also be a threat at Worlds.

It would seem that perhaps this year's World Champion may at least be plucked from the Top 5 of the Tour de France.

Thoughts?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #69 on: September 03, 2020, 00:59 »
    yeah for sure. The Columbian and Solvenian teams will be super strong.

Roglic would just about be even money to win ...
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #70 on: September 11, 2020, 22:50 »
    I mentioned this in the race thread but wanted to elaborate a bit here.

It turns out that I'm pleasantly surprised by this year's TdF.  :)

The skeptical side of me never expected the race to happen at all. And if it did, I had assumed that it wouldn't feel like a real Tour de France due to the odd spot on the calendar, and the lack of racing preceding it. I wondered that if it did take place, would the eventual winner truly be considered legitimate in the history of the event?

Well, over these past two weeks, I can safely say that such thoughts have evaporated from my mind. I'm enjoying the race much more than I had anticipated, and it very much does feel like a legitimate Tour de France to me—and not just because of my fondness for the current wearer of the maillot jaune
    #jumbo  #yellow

There's been some tremendous drama thus far, and everything indicates that the action is far from over. If anything, it could turn out to be quite a dramatic third week, with the eventual winner only being revealed in the closing days. New names are emerging as future stars, as more familiar faces are having to fight for every position.

I did zero prep work leading up to this Tour, as I didn't even think my local network was going to be carrying it. So thanks to all of you who are providing stage previews, etc. As it turns out, the dreaded NBC coverage has been quite good this year. Vande Velde and Horner are working suprisingly well together for the color commentating, and although Bob Roll and Phil Liggett are struggling with the live race commentary (due to COVID limitations, and likely broadcasting from different continents), the end-of-day recaps have been quite good, and the daily footage has started quite early on nearly every stage.

Here's looking forward to an exciting and compelling second weekend of racing, as well as a concluding week that should provide its fair share of intrigue and entertainment.

Cheers! :beer
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #71 on: September 12, 2020, 10:13 »
    it has actually been pretty good.

Its always hard to go back to 3 week stage racing after a bunch of classics where they are really aggressive and attacking racing from a long way out ... so it gets a bit boring.  But 3 weeks has its own trials and challenges so its interesting even when its boring :D

Its very nice watching an actual race though, instead of a parade of Ineos around France
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #72 on: September 20, 2020, 09:24 »
    Some interesting TdF trivia in the wake of Tadej Pogačar's dramatic and stunning seizure of the maillot jaune.

Surprisingly, this is the first time that Colnago bikes will be able to claim the top step of the podium in Paris under its own name. That's quite extraordinary given the decades-long relationship between the iconic brand and the sport of cycling itself. Ernesto Colnago worked as a mechanic for Eddy Merckx, and Colnago supposedly manufactured frames under the Merckx brand, but this the first time that the Colnago name and logo can lay claim to victory at the Tour de France.
    (Although who knows where any of these bikes are truly manufactured these days, with offshore Asian production being all the rage, and a UAE investment firm now owner of a majority stakes of the Colnago company.)

The other legendary Italian brand, Bianchi, which came oh-so-close to celebrating this year with Primož Roglič, will have to wait, yet again, before repeating what they haven't been able to achieve since Marco Pantani rode to victory on one of their frames in 1998. Prior to that, one would have to go all the way back 1952 and 1949 when none other than Fausto Coppi achieved Tour glory on a Bianchi.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:51 by Drummer Boy, Reason: photo resizing »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #73 on: September 20, 2020, 09:58 »
    More related trivia...

Not since 1969, when Eddy Merckx claimed the Yellow, Green and *White jerseys, has a winner of the Tour de France had the honor of wearing three separate jerseys in Paris.

*In 1969, the White jersey represented the combination classification.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7817
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #74 on: September 20, 2020, 11:07 »
    *In 1969, the White jersey represented the combination classification.
    Merckx also was the best U25 rider in that Tour, so he'd have won the 'modern' white jersey too.
    Oh, and he also won the mountain classification - but there was no #kom jersey for that until 1975.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3712
    « Reply #75 on: September 20, 2020, 12:15 »
    The other legendary Italian brand, Bianchi,]

is swedish :)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #76 on: September 23, 2020, 11:53 »
    More...

Previous post-war cyclists who won Le Tour on their first participation in the race:

Fausto Coppi - 1949
    Jacques Anquetil - 1957
    Felice Gimondi - 1965
    Eddy Merckx - 1969
    Bernard Hinault - 1978
    Laurent Fignon - 1983

That's quite the pantheon!  :o

And now...

Tadej Pogačar - 2020

-----------------

Also:

Although born in Menen, Flanders, #green Sam Bennett grew up in in the hometown of Sean Kelly in Ireland: Carrick-on-Suir.

In 2011, at the age of 20, Bennett signed with the An Post–Sean Kelly team.

Fast forward to 2020...

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:58 by Drummer Boy »

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #78 on: September 23, 2020, 12:18 »
    I partly had the same impression though. At the beginning of the (mountain) stages it always looked like they just told Tony Martin to go full gas as long as he can, for example. no matter if they actually planed to chase the breakaway later on or not
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #79 on: September 23, 2020, 13:07 »
    I partly had the same impression though. At the beginning of the (mountain) stages it always looked like they just told Tony Martin to go full gas as long as he can, for example. no matter if they actually planed to chase the breakaway later on or not

Me too. Maybe the FP was misleading. Meant for Jumbo's tactics not Mas's comment.
  • ReplyReply

•