collapse

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
  • Liked: 7941
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: The 2021 Auto-Wildcard Race
« on: January 02, 2021, 18:16 »
I just thought they might. However I didn't know Fenix were Italian (and I still don't know what they do or sell!).
Fenix produce "innovative materials" (according to their logo) for interior furniture: https://www.fenixforinteriors.com/en
It's a brand of Arpa Industriale (me neither), and it's something-nano-something.

Why such a brand would sponsor a cycling team I don't know - my best guess is that the boss likes bikes. :slow

On the actual topic: With #alpecin taking all three wildcards there's next to no room for the 'home teams' - four choices for two remaining spots in each Grand Tour. We may well see one or several of these teams folding at the end of 2021. :(

With this auto-invite qualification system, the number of teams with a WorldTour licence needs to be brought down. One doesn't work without the other, and vice-versa.
The Women's WorldTour has a maximum number of 15 teams - why not have the same for the men? You wouldn't even have to relegate teams; just don't allow any new applications until you've reached 15-16. This is cycling, there are teams folding even at the highest level often enough. #israel and #wanty bought their way in by taking over the #katusha and #ccc licences - if they had stayed at ProTeam level, we'd now be down to 17 WT teams and have two more wildcard spots for every WT race.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean