collapse

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3684
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Giro 2020 - Stage 10: Lanciano – Tortoreto 177 km
« on: October 12, 2020, 15:38 »
Stage 10: Lanciano – Tortoreto 177 km

At 177 kilometres, stage 10 on the Giro d'Italia takes place between San Salvo and Tortoreto Lido. The last 40 kilometres are tailor made for Classics riders with a series of short and sharp climbs and tricky roads before the finale is played out on the flat.

The 10th stage kicks into gear in Lanciano – birth place of Damiano Caruso -, a small town in an elevated sport close to the Adriatic. The riders descend to the coast and head north in the direction of Pescara.

The route turns inland to Chieti. Located on a hill, the birth place of last year’s Mountain King, Giulio Ciccone, is the first obstacle in the route. The wall of Chieti (GPM4, 1.8km at 7.8%), with its 1km long stretch at 11.5%, is a common sight at the Tirreno Adriatico, so most of the peloton should be familiar with it.

From there the riders will head back to the coast, where they’ll stay for 60 km, all the way to the first intermediate sprint of Giulianova. 10 kilometres before entering seaside resort Tortoreto Lido the riders leave the shoreline for a promising finale. First, they climb to the old town of Tortoreto and descend into Tortoreto Lido for a first passage on the line. Another flat section along the coast goes to Martinsicuro before 4 kilometres climb at 7% leads to Colonnella. Still roughly 30 kilometres left to race.
Its descent leads to another 10 km of flat along the coast to reach the town of Martinsicuro, where an impressive sequence of hills starts. The first one is also the hardest: Colonnella (GPM3, 3.1 km at 9.2%)

The top is reached at 39 km to go. The riders fly down to the base of a modest climb of approximately 4 kilometres long. A steep descent leads onto an inclination of 2.5 kilometres at 7.1% with stretches up to 17%.

The route continues downhill – gradual this time – before the final uphill test appears. The ultimate climb of the day is 1.9 kilometres long. The average gradient sits at 7.2%, while it ramps up to 18% in the steepest section.

The route flies down to the last 8 kilometres on the flat.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14162
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    could be the best stage of the Giro so far, if they race it hard - but I guess it's better not to expect too much :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3712
    could be the best stage of the Giro so far, if they race it hard - but I guess it's better not to expect too much :D

When Search issues his predictions, #bora Peter Sagan listens

Like some of the above I sense that the overall performance level is somehow muted this year.
    So first week dull, second week interesting, third week: snowstorm or fireworks.

Vaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! Joãozinho para #pink!

6/10 ! (I borrowed a few points from the coming weeks just to get you a little bit more excited about this race  :angel )

I will have to take back some of that:
    Like some of the above I sense that the overall performance level is somehow muted this year.

I think that qualifies as one of the craziest Giro stages I have seen. I was supposed to fast forward while  watching the recording, until the Pais Vasco-style Tortoretto climb circuit  started. I ended up watching almost every minute, because it was just great racing.  :cool

• heaven knows how many attempts before something like a breakaway got going, and then that was #ineos Ganna and #bora Sagan
    • #groupama chasing the (strengthened) breakaway for a long long time with a gap of +/-20-40 seconds, until they spent absolutely everything, at least Sinkeldam! Point Sagan!
    • the gradual thinning down of the front group as the peloton was getting closer and closer on the final circuit of small steep climbs
    • #bahrain Pello Bilbao on the attack
    • disappointment of the day with a puncture (?) for #astana Jakob Fuglsang at a critical moment. He hasn't been looking great, but that wasn't the way anyone would wish to see him practically dropping out of the GC
    • #bora Sagan's 1st giro stage win, making his endurance do the difference for him, not the sprint. What a race!
    • #quickstep Joãozinho not just defening the #pink, but extending the lead by 4 secs. He managed to use both his own team and other's to close gaps but also contributed on some crucial section himself

Results:

Joãozinho could be on his way to carry the #pink maglia rosa into week 3. If he makes it to Saturday he might actually extend his lead - he's perhaps the best TT rider against the other GC contenders although #sunweb Kelderman and #bahrain Bilbao can go fast too. However, he could easily extend the gap to #astana Fuglsang to three minutes over the next 4 days, and then the Dane must work hard to find a way back into GC.

Of the remaining original GC riders, I think #trek Nibali and #sunweb Kelderman both look like they are doing exactly what we thought they would door should do to win the Giro big GC chief way. In other words, nothing too dramatic on the early stages.  They will have their say before the Senza Fine is engraved. 
     #bahrain Bilbao and for that matter, #quickstep Almaida are overperforming,  who would have thought they would figure high up on the list? 
    No-one would say #astana Fuglsang is doing anything unexpected either, just having bad luck a bit earlier than I thought.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 23:19 by t-72 »

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14162
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    great stage indeed. And (additional to those mentioned above) I'm really, really impressed by Pozzovivo, I must say. When he said something along the lines of "there's a lot of time trialing, but also many opportunities to gain time" I was thinking he may aim for a Top 10 or so - but the way he currently is going, he could turn into a real threat for the podium as well.

The ITTs are still an issue of course, but at least he one one Saturday is fairly hilly, and if he somehow finds his 2013 Vuelta legs...
  • ReplyReply

•