collapse

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
  • Liked: 7817
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Paris-Roubaix postponed to October:
https://twitter.com/Paris_Roubaix/status/1377627431020982282

Will now be a week after Worlds (in Flanders), so we get a kind of Holy Week after all.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1890
    2 October, that might be the 4th lockdown, so eventually also cancelled ! It had to be held in August, even if that meant in hot summer, not really the way we like watching Paris-Roubaix but at least it offered more guarantee.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14155
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    maybe, yeah, but (from my understanding) with the new variants of the virus we can also expect less of a Summer effect, as good weather alone looks unliky to push the R number below 1 anymore. Hoping for the vaccination could actually also turn out be the better choice. Hopefully.

Overall, still sad to see it cancelled of course, but (as Leadbelly pointed out in the shoutbox), better to have it postponed than the castrated version Prudhomme suggested instead. I don't really mind the Amstel Gold Race doing some crit race around the Cauberg, but it's not worthy for a monument.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4012
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Will now be a week after Worlds (in Flanders), so we get a kind of Holy Week after all.

I'm only just catching up on this latest news. I hadn't even realized that Worlds was being held in Flanders. The combination of that with Roubaix might make for some very interesting scenarios. Sad to see P-R postponed though.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I'm only just catching up on this latest news. I hadn't even realized that Worlds was being held in Flanders. The combination of that with Roubaix might make for some very interesting scenarios.
    Note that what they really mean when they say Flanders is Vlaams-Brabant (for the RRs; the ITTs will be from Knokke-Heist to Brugge, so in 'proper' Flanders, albeit wind-swept flat West-Vlaanderen than the hilly Vlaamse Ardennen).

The RR finish is in Leuven, and before the finishing circuit in the city itself they do the "Flandrien circuit" around Overijse (the venue of the Brabantse Pijl).

Finishing circuit in Leuven:

Full route for the men's elite RR (Flandrien circuit in yellow):

On the finishing circuit, the Keizersberg, Decouxlaan, and Wijnpers are all asphalted two-lane roads. The Sint-Antoniusberg is normally a "fietsstraat" with cars only allowed to go downhill and bikes having priority at all times - and it is narrow (only one lane) as well as partially cobbled, though with concrete plates on the sides, meaning there will probably be two lines of riders forming, making positioning going into the very short climb vital:
    Google Street View of Sint-Antoniusberg

On the Flandrien circuit, Smeysberg and Veeweidestraat are asphalted two-lane climbs. The S-Bocht/Taymansstraat combination starts on a wide, two-lane asphalt road around a church in an S pattern (hence the name) and narrows when it turns onto the Taymansstraat where the first ~80 m are on cobblestones before the surface becomes asphalt again. The Bekestraat, although asphalted, is a very narrow one-lane road with a rough surface through a forest.
    Only the Moskesstraat (where WvA and MvdP attacked in the Brabantse Pijl last year) is cobbled ... but they have just re-laid it in anticipation of the Worlds, making the surface significantly more regular and removing that last steepest bit at the top in favour of a more gradual climb, effectively removing much of what made the climb what it is.
    It went from a Molenberg to a Nokereberg, so to speak. :fp

Before:

After:

All of this goes to say that while the race will definitely have the characteristics of a spring classic, it will feel more like an Amstel Gold Race than a Ronde van Vlaanderen.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4012
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Only the Moskesstraat (where WvA and MvdP attacked in the Brabantse Pijl last year) is cobbled ... but they have just re-laid it in anticipation of the Worlds, making the surface significantly more regular and removing that last steepest bit at the top in favour of a more gradual climb, effectively removing much of what made the climb what it is.
    It went from a Molenberg to a Nokereberg, so to speak. :fp

The "before" and "after" version looks like a Disney rendition of a cobbled road.   :-x

Fwiw, those first two pics don't render for me. I just get the box with "?" in the middle. :slow
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• lukascph.media
    The "before" and "after" version looks like a Disney rendition of a cobbled road.   :-x
    Yeah, pretty much. :fp

Fwiw, those first two pics don't render for me. I just get the box with "?" in the middle. :slow
    Probably because they're in the WEBP format.[1]
    Here are the direct links:
    Finishing circuit
    Full men's elite route
     1. which should be killed with fire; what is the purpose of it?!
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.