collapse

Leadbelly

• World Champion
  • Liked: 9265
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2021, 13:34 »
Break: Guegan (ex-Rally stagiaire) and Gachignard

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #31 on: September 21, 2021, 19:14 »

Hayter's obviously in good form. Bridged to the break with one other and then dropped them all.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #32 on: September 22, 2021, 13:36 »
    Break: Le Lay, Labbe, Cotard and Fouche

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #33 on: September 22, 2021, 21:10 »
    Stream died some time before the finish... :(

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #34 on: September 23, 2021, 14:41 »
    Break: Riou, Reinders, Trastour, Lewis and Guegan

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #35 on: September 23, 2021, 17:50 »
    The experienced head takes the win from the break.

Just the 217 kilometres tomorrow. :o
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #36 on: September 24, 2021, 14:12 »
    Naberman and Leijnse with a small gap over the rest of the large break. Peloton ~3 minutes back.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #37 on: September 24, 2021, 19:15 »
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #38 on: September 25, 2021, 20:07 »
    It turned up after all.

60km solo from the German.

If the bonuses are in play tomorrow, it could be anyone in the top 6 or 7 that takes it.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7916
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #39 on: September 25, 2021, 23:20 »
    60km solo from the German.
    Nice!
    Of course, he is a Sibiu Tour alumnus. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #40 on: September 26, 2021, 16:09 »
    Break: Lino, Lagab, Hayter, Jurado, Reinders, Guasco and Boutville

70km or so to go.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #41 on: September 26, 2021, 18:37 »
    Incredible drama at the end.

Going into the last few km (on a nice little circuit) the GC could have gone to Delaplace (6th at 11s) or Le Ny (4th at 9s) who were in a late break, or somebody ahead of them in the GC back in the peloton.

It'll be easier for you watch the finale rather than me describe it, but it looked curtains for Le Ny when he suffered a mech/crash going through the town in the last km. Delaplace missed out on bonuses (the other breakaway guys were non-GC threats and had been sitting on), but the peloton were just too slow.

Delaplace the winner? That's what Direct Velo initially told us, but then they said the 3km rule was applied and Le Ny had won.

Tbh it looked like Le Ny had almost been dropped from the break when he suffered his trouble though I could be wrong, and why was the finish not a designated climb? It had been on an earlier lap.

If he has won, it's a feather in the cap for the amateur team (beating PCT and CT outfits) and it's not like he did zero work in those last few laps, he was at the front of the break for most of it with only a little help from Voissard and then Delaplace.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3902
    « Reply #42 on: September 26, 2021, 21:32 »
    In the shadow of what was happening north of the border, there was a race from Paris to Chauny today. The startlist was surprisingly good with an impressive selection of riders that for various reasons weren´t selected for the national team. Looking at the previous results this race has actually really Improved in quality over the past few years. Like a certain other race with Paris in the name it starts in Compiegne, but the parcours seem to criss cross the area near Compiegne instead of moving further north. This means more short hills in and out of old, often dry,  river-valleys and not ever-flat terrain as it is towards Roubaix.

I was wondering why this race has picked up so much in quality, maybe the answer is St Gobain? The race passes through the ville of St Gobain itself, and the St Gobain company has one of its headquarters near Compiegne. It is a very large industrial corporation that produces a lot of stuff sometimes sold without using the st Gobain name itself, and sometimes with St Gobain in the name.  Looking only at the construction industry part of the company they own some 20-30 brands I have heard of and some of those are sponsors of cycling themselves. An interesting partner, an up and coming race on the calendar?

Anyway, this year´s edition was won by Jasper «Disaster» Philipsen #fenix - it is his 4th win in a row now. He really seems to be on a roll now. Wonder what his role will be in that next race starting in Compiegne? At least it must be allowed to question if MvDP in current shape is very much better….

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #43 on: October 06, 2021, 20:11 »
    I still don't get why they are planning to move the Milano-Torino race to spring. It is perfect among the other northern Italian one day races culminating in Il Lombardia on the Saturday (which should be Sunday, but leave that discussion aside just now, T-72).

This years edition featured the very seldom interruption of any procession of cyclists across the Po Plain by crosswinds. I think it only happens once in a decade, all races combined. I have no idea how many weather forecasts I have checked and come up with 1-2 m/s blowing any which direction is completely unlikely to impact the race.

Adam Yates and the rest of the #ineos crew was caught in group 2, missing the split on the flatlands, and that may have been what eventually made the day for #jumbo Jumbo-Visma as Roglic was in the first group (even doing some work) with teammates Tobias Foss and a new german dude from the J-V talent factory.

Adam Yates had to catch the front group on the first climb up the Superga (I admit falling asleep at this crucial point in the race :-x ). On the second lap, #uae Majka attacked with #quickstep Alaphilippe following. I thought Alaphilippe would just disappear up the hillside but it appeared he was on team duty and just faking an attack to somehow help his teammate, João Almeida.

The rest of the climb went like this: Yates attacked, Roglic followed, Yates attacked, Roglic followed, Yates attacked, Roglic counterattacked and won. That was maybe the price Yates had to pay for not making the split and having to catch group 1? I could also have written something about the stuggle between Pogi and Almeida , but I am going to cancel that and ask a random question - has anybody seen Almeida declare somewhere that Froome is his big idol? I think his pedaling style more and more resembles the new gregario de luxo a little bit further down the hill.  The same leaning over the bars (not sure he was looking at a wattmeter) with slightly bent elbows, and the style of not following the attacks but closing the gaps a little-by-little while pedaløing approx 200 rpm. In that case, why go with the sheiks on the other side of Arabia, he should have the perfect mentor and more GC opportunities with the start up nation :-x

Anyway, I think the Milano-Torino is perfect wednesday after work entertainment, and perfect precursor to Il Lombardia. Don't take it to spring!

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 20:37 by t-72 »

t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #44 on: October 10, 2021, 22:44 »
    Some will object to me putting this in the smaller race category, but it is correct as far as TV coverage goes. The French TV producers need a more flexible setup for when the first 100 km goes by in a whoosh due to crosswinds. They only showed the last 30 km of the race, and thus the traditional[1] French fall classic Paris-Tours became was shorter than a cyclocross race. Small race in measured watching time.

That was a pity, because what we got to see was quite beatiful cycling on narrow, dusty, winding lanes through small villages, farms and vineyards. Soaked in low late fall afternoon sun, this world seemed like a very different one from that race to the other side of Paris just one week back. Yet in racing style, they now resemble each other. Or perhaps, the Paris-Tours is even more like de Ronde, because the short hills are more of a feature and the cobbles less. Also the final features a long "time trial" stretch into the finish line after the last real obstacle, which makes it possible for an organized chase to catch the front group, but also for a strong front group to maintain the lead all the way to the finish line.

That was just what happened. At about - how much was that - 11 km? to go, there was a big discussion in the chase group, someone probably refused to cooperate and #groupama Arnaud Demare said zut alors! and attacked up a small hill in mad rage.  #trek Jasper Stuyven followed and they made a strong 2-man chase group chasing the 2-man lead group (#bb Bonnamour and #ag2r Stand Dewulf)   all the way to the Avenue de Grammont.

So there was a sprint between two monument winners known to have the skills and speed to finish with a winning move after a long day in the saddle (both have won the Milano-SanRemo.) Only one of them is a win candidate for big bunch sprints though.

What's more - no Quickstep #quickstep, because apparently Lefevre hates this race as it is  too much gravel, just like he also hates Strade Bianche.  I can't say they were missed.  :angel

1. a wet Paris-Roubaix in October is a hipster's attempt at making a fall classic. Go back to spring!
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4192
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #45 on: October 11, 2021, 03:37 »
    They only showed the last 30 km of the race...

So it wasn't just me, then? Now I don't feel so bad. It seems that I saw as much as you did.

I quite enjoyed what I did see. Two against two, in the final minutes of the race, made for an interesting dynamic, and with the final group of four approaching the finish line together, it was tense down to the final second. 

The look of despair on the face of second-placed Franck Bonnamour, while on the podium, was similar to that of Florian Vermeersch at Roubaix—dreaming of what might have been. But the joy and relief evident on the face of winner Arnaud Démare was heartening.
     :)

https://twitter.com/ParisTours/status/1447225066454986756

https://twitter.com/BBHOTELSpbKTM/status/1447212564501475331
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14469
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #46 on: October 11, 2021, 08:16 »
    as usual, Paris Tour delivered a really nice finish of the season indeed. France 3 had the final ~60k live on TV, btw, so it's not them to blame for only getting 30, I guess
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    « Reply #47 on: October 11, 2021, 18:12 »
    Yeah we got the full 60km or so on Eurosport too. Great race.

One thought that passed through my head while watching the action unfold was disc brakes + puncture = race over on this type of terrain. Possibly game over with rim brakes too, but those extra seconds saved might just enable you to get back with the group you were with.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7916
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #48 on: October 14, 2021, 21:05 »
    We'll get a pro gravel race in the Veneto tomorrow.
    Here's something that stuck out to me:
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/inaugural-serenissima-gravel-presents-a-challenge-more-technical-than-strade-bianche/
    One star of the peloton and his bike sponsor were very keen to participate in the Serenissima Gravel, but his trade team – which will lose both said star rider and bike supplier in 2022 – nixed the idea.
    I've had a look at which stars are moving teams and came to the conclusion that this most probably refers to #bora Sagan.

It fits him, too - he's done an Olympic MTB race, he did cyclo-cross in his junior days ... why wouldn't he want to participate in this race as a fun ending to the season?
    So, why didn't #bora allow him to do it ...? :shh
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [October 16, 2021, 09:26]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by LukasCPH
    [October 14, 2021, 21:05]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [October 14, 2021, 13:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [October 11, 2021, 18:12]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by search
    [October 11, 2021, 08:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Drummer Boy