collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1910
Switzerland's Cycling Geography
« on: July 19, 2021, 20:27 »
Switzerland's map is equally as unbalanced as Itay's, Netherlands' or Belgium's. German-speaking Switzerland has the edge, with an epicentre arounf the Zurich Lake. That's also were some of the greatest champions come from : Ferdi Kübler and Hugo Koblet. There are very few Romandians : a pool aournd Geneva with Serge Demierre and then Pascal Richard in Vevey. A few of them in Wallis, but that's it. Italian-speaking Ticino is even less represented. Emilio Croci-Torti - a faithful gregario to Kübler is about the only one. Albasini was born in Mendrisio, Italy but that sure is not where he was raised, so if anyone knows, I'll be grateful[1]. Then in Graubunden, you have Nino Schurter and Oscar Plattner. Not the same era, not the same discipline but they are both from neighbouring valleys. At bird's flight, that should be about 15 km.  :D

1. Edit : Thanks to Search, Albasini is relocated in Thurghau, more or less around Lanterswil where he grew up  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 23:21 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14419
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Switzerland's Cycling Geography
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 06:45 »
    Albasini was born in Mendrisio, Italy but that sure is not where he was raised, so anyone knows, I'll be grateful.

not 100% sure if he was raised there, but he was nominated for the "Thurgau Sports Person of the Year" award a couple of times, so I guess that's where he spent most of his life so far.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 23:12 »
    not 100% sure if he was raised there, but he was nominated for the "Thurgau Sports Person of the Year" award a couple of times, so I guess that's where he spent most of his life so far.

Thanks Search. You sure must be right. I did recall that he is a German-speaking Swiss. Then again, it's hard to know if he's been raised there in Thurgau or lived there as a active rider/adult but it's very much possible.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 14419
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 07:12 »
    Then again, it's hard to know if he's been raised there in Thurgau or lived there as a active rider/adult but it's very much possible.

This article about Michael's father Marcello indicates that him and his wife are living in Lanterswil for at least 40 years now. So that should also be the town where Michael Albasini grew up.

https://www.swiss-cycling.ch/de/magazin/news/swiss-cycling/das-nationalteam-hat-etwas-besonderes/
  • ReplyReply

• ciranda

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 239
    « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 23:03 »
    Missed out on Camenzind, Zülle, Badilatti, Gianetti, Reichenbach, Zaugg, Bertogliati, Zberg, Zberg, Jeker, Aebersold, Zampieri, Puttini, Roland Meier, Pellaud, Bissegger.

:angel
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 23:28 by ciranda »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 12:20 »
    This article about Michael's father Marcello indicates that him and his wife are living in Lanterswil for at least 40 years now. So that should also be the town where Michael Albasini grew up.

https://www.swiss-cycling.ch/de/magazin/news/swiss-cycling/das-nationalteam-hat-etwas-besonderes/

Great find, Search ! Fair enough ! I've edited my map, relocating Albasini in Thurghau, more or less where Lanterswil is situated.

Missed out on Camenzind, Zülle, Badilatti, Gianetti, Reichenbach, Zaugg, Bertogliati, Zberg, Zberg, Jeker, Aebersold, Zampieri, Puttini, Roland Meier, Pellaud, Bissegger.

Thanks. Some of them could sure belong here. To be honest I didn't even know about Badilatti, Pellaud or Bissegger but I'm a bit out of touch with present-day cycling, I'm afraid.
  • ReplyReply

•