collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2119
So those attacks from Evenepoel you refer to came from the breakaway then, which consisted of a load of guys from the original break, and mainly some younger guys doing their first ever big race (+Lutsenko, Bardet). They were able to follow a couple of moves, but not more, and then the final 35k were basically just Evenepoel vs some disorganized groups behind.

Oh sorry, Search, I wouldn't have imagined that the top favourites were already in group behind when he made those attacks. So I admit that my comments make no sense.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

t-72

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4016
    By the way, just here a list of all the 1 minute + gaps between first and second or first and third in the history of the Worlds. In bold, those superior to Remco Evenepoel's gap

1928 - Budapest  *hu : 1 Georges Ronsse *be 2 Herbert Nebe  *de  19'43" 3 Bruno Wolke  *de s.t. (This is the highest gap ever but Georges Ronsse was in the lead with Jules Van Hevel and the latter crashed and retired after the tail of a cow that was crossing the road got stuck in his brakes)
    These are gaps from another era !  :o

Even Mathieu van der Poel and a bus of teenage fan girls cannot top that "how I screwed up at the world championship" story!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4016
    The day before the race, after watching the womens, I predicted that the climbs werent hard enough to make a real impact in the race, and it would go to some sprinter or maybe fast finisher from a small group at the end of a long race where attacks wouldn't stick, but the backdoor would be open for many laps before the sprint. This would mean - quite similar to Bergen 2017.

During the race I was convinced I was wrong, as the "lieutenants attack" with all the lower ranked riders that usually comes up at around 200 km cemented the gap and *be Evenepoel was going duo with *kz Luts.  In the end that was the only important difference, this edition of Evenepoel is maturing (2017 Bergen, Evenepoel,  was the asphalt magnet). Every rider in the WT peloton would know that if you let Evenepoel go with 30 km left, chances are very high no-one can bring hiom back.

Just like in Bergen, TV missed out on the peloton as they approached the finish line and all we got was a few turns wjen they caught up a lot of riders and then the sprint. The peloton sort of came from nowhere near my TV. Another small difference is that this time, Kristoff finished a few centimeters ahead of Sagan.

Time zones challenged my viewing and I actually enjoued the ITT more although someone says I am bit biased  :angel

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Remco Evenepoel at Zaventem Airport, back in Belgium after 5 weeks !

So he's going to race Binche-Chimay-Binche as first race with rainbow on  #rainbow and then wed. He doesn't even thinking about celebrating too much. He'll be back training in the coming days.

By the way I was quite moved to see Remco singing the Brabançonne, our national anthem. Personally I don't even know the lyrics of it, neither in Dutch nor in French.  :D I guess he sings it in Dutch. I don't know if you know the lyrics of your own national anthem. But it's not really in our culture to sing the anthem, I've rarely seen any Belgian athletes singing the anthem on a podium. Perhaps one I remember was Niels Albert after his second cyclocross World title. He had specifically memorised it for a couple of days before the race.  :D Perhaps Remco's singing comes from his football background.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Even Mathieu van der Poel and a bus of teenage fan girls cannot top that "how I screwed up at the world championship" story!

Talking about it, I just gave a quick look at most news report about the incident and honestly, in my opinion, there's just nothing to blame Mathieu for about what happened. He should never have been fined (a bit more than half an average monthly salary) and never have been put in custody. I'm not far from thinking  these girls' family should rather be fined for disturbing the peace. I don't mean that he can get some privilege as a sport star but he didn't even hit those girls, just took one by the arms and lectured them, that's it.

Back in Belgium, he's expressed regrets, admits he should've called the reception or should've let someone else handle the case but it was very late and was too exhausted to think but anyone who knows Mathieu knows that he's not a violent person (while on some boards that is the reputation that he now has). However it seems to me that the Dutch federation should have made sure that Mathieu could stay in a safe place - by the way how come that he was staying in Sydney 1h30 from the race route -, along with the other team members and staff. How come that this was even possible ?

Mathieu is banned from Australia for 3 years but if I were him I wouldn't even come back for many more years (don't get me wrong, I love Australia and don't blame the whole country of what happened).
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4303
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    neither did Matthews and Laporte, and they still sprinted full out, and got a medal. I think that's what everyone did, or at least should have.

Indeed. It's the World Championships. You see the finish line approaching, you sprint. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 4303
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    I don't know if you know the lyrics of your own national anthem. But it's not really in our culture to sing the anthem...

In the U.S. I think it's generally expected that everyone should at least know the words to our National Anthem, as it is regularly sung at the beginning of all major sporting events, and often at small-town, local events as well. Most road races I've participated in (running, that is) have played the National Anthem just before the start, and often a local musician is selected to do the honors.

Curiously, I don't specifically remember ever being taught the Anthem as a child, but I assume that it happened at some point in my early school years.

One thing about the U.S. anthem, though, is that it's rather difficult to sing well. It requires quite a vocal range, so few people can actually sing it very convincingly on their own. It's better left to the professionals.
      :playlist :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7968
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Wow, that's a lot of cycling!  :o :cool :) I'll now have to give this some serious consideration.

How many of you are planning on attending next year?
    I hope to be able to go to Scotland. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.